Author Topic: Is there life on the Glider Ireland forum???  (Read 5619 times)

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Is there life on the Glider Ireland forum???
« on: September 29, 2019, 07:53:34 AM »
This weekend was supposed to be the final Fly-In of the year on Mt Lienster (The "Big L"). So far (the final day) I've seen nothing posted, from anyone. :o :(

Can someone clue me in please?
Try not to run out of airspeed, altitude and ideas....... all at the same time.

Flamingo Flier

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Re: Is there life on the Glider Ireland forum???
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2019, 09:25:35 AM »
Hi Keith,
Yes it has been kind of quiet - almost tumbleweed like.
I am still here occasionally but I cannot make it to Mt Leinster this weekend. Hopefully this is not another golden age that is coming to an end - I have come to realise that I am so old I have seen a couple of eras start and end. Is there anyone else out there?

JIM

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2019, 09:35:38 AM »
Hey Jim,

Yes perhaps we will become like those who enjoy renovating steam locomotives. The era of steam power is over, but there are still those who enjoy the thrill!

I was watching a chap flying a powered model couple of months ago. He flew all around the flying ground in knife edge. Up wind, cross wind, down wind didn't seem to phase him at all. After he'd landed I went over to congratulate him. Turned out the model was being flown by some software! Hey-Ho

Is there actually anyone on the Big L today? (I need to pay my club subs)

Flamingo Flier

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2019, 09:48:36 AM »
Thanks Keith,
Hopefully there will be some other replies. You may have started a roll call and we can see how many say 'here'. Has everyone migrated to Facebook or some such of which we are unaware.

Have you noticed and can you explain the counter at the bottom of the main page that seems to suggest that there were way over 700 people on line this morning?

JIM

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2019, 09:56:19 AM »
As I understand it :-\, today, (and I have no idea why today is much different from any other day) at 04.58am (I don't know if that is local time or zulu) there were 782 people looking at this forum. Before then I think the max at any one time was 400 odd. Quite who these people are I have no idea but at that time of the morning I doubt they were Irish ha-ha.

billscottni

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nimsa.co.uk ; www.billscott.org.uk
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2019, 18:39:02 PM »
I wasn't down this weekend Keith, Just out of hospital after having my thyroid removed. Ralph did post to Facebook yesterday that they were on the west slope.

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2019, 19:03:44 PM »
Ouch!

That looks rather sore Bill. (Actually I thought the thyroid was taken out through the top, front of the chest, silly me.) Looks like it was a hospital day case was it ? Do hope you'll be running around soon with loads of energy.

We've just returned from the Bonnie banks of Loch Lomond, and other places north of London. (We were very disappointed with Edinburgh. Hardly heard a single Scots accent while we were there, Ha!)

I didn't know there was a facebook page for glidireland, is that where they keep up to date now? Can't see any recient posts at all on the Glider Ireland FB page. Last one was Jan 2019. No opportunity to join the page either that I can see.

angry_muppet

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2019, 10:58:35 AM »
I still keep an eye on the page from time to time.

Was disappointed to find that the fly in was last weekend after it's she'd to head up North (before I need my passport) to see the "old" folks.

It does seem that the forum has become a bit deserted...

Fred

• Slope Soaring is not a crime!
  • Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gliderireland.net
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2019, 16:15:47 PM »
Hi all,

Quick reply from my phone as I am traveling.

There is life, but the life you decide to put/do. If you don’t post, share etc etc, nobody can do it for you :)
If you wait for others to create content, no point arguing why it’s quiet or not.

Or go to Facebook, loads of nonsense over there :)

There is a gliderireland Facebook page, but really don’t see the point. Important stuff will always go here first, so we can discuss between gentlemen, not fighting between each others to see who is right or wrong :)

Anyway I was very quiet myself, and have tons of updates, but life etc etc.
Education is important, but flying RC planes and gliders is importanter!

Flamingo Flier

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2019, 16:49:36 PM »
Hi Fred,
Yeah ok.... I admit I normally rely on others to put something up for me to read. I will try to do better.... How did Mt Leinster go or was the weather uncooperative?

Jim

rogallo

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2019, 09:44:45 AM »
Yep, the forum is all of us, post up!

R
Spots or no Spots?
Tuff Choice.

billscottni

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2019, 17:27:34 PM »
Ouch!

That looks rather sore Bill. (Actually I thought the thyroid was taken out through the top, front of the chest, silly me.) Looks like it was a hospital day case was it ? Do hope you'll be running around soon with loads of energy.

We've just returned from the Bonnie banks of Loch Lomond, and other places north of London. (We were very disappointed with Edinburgh. Hardly heard a single Scots accent while we were there, Ha!)

I didn't know there was a facebook page for glidireland, is that where they keep up to date now? Can't see any recient posts at all on the Glider Ireland FB page. Last one was Jan 2019. No opportunity to join the page either that I can see.

It got messy Keith as a week after the original surgery I got a lot of swelling & heat in the wound and had to go under another general anaesthetic to be reopened and cleaned out. Normally thyroid surgery would be a single overnight, both days I was in 3 -4 days until they were happy to let me home. The drain in that pic is now out and the stitches come out Mon. Not too bad pain wise, but I get tired very quickly  :( :( :( That may just be old age!!

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2019, 18:43:20 PM »
Sorry to hear you had to go back in, bit of an infection crept in by the sound of it. No doubt you'll be taking medication to give you energy, now your thyroid has gone. (Must say it seems a rather extreme way of loosing weight, having bits taken out of you.  ;D Ha!)

Get well soon Bill.

billscottni

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2019, 15:30:23 PM »
Sorry to hear you had to go back in, bit of an infection crept in by the sound of it. No doubt you'll be taking medication to give you energy, now your thyroid has gone. (Must say it seems a rather extreme way of loosing weight, having bits taken out of you.  ;D Ha!)

Get well soon Bill.
Cheeky bugger! I'd lost 2 stone BEFORE they would do the surgery! Yes, on daily dose of thyroxin for the rest of my life an dpossibly calcium, but I can breathe which I was struggling to do beforehand.