Author Topic: Ultimate glue !  (Read 7314 times)

Fred

• Slope Soaring is not a crime!
  • Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gliderireland.net
Ultimate glue !
« on: September 29, 2009, 11:42:17 AM »
Hi,

I have been experiencing a new glue I found to the local DIY.
The glue is from Evo-Stick, and it's called "Serious Stuff Ultra" and they sell that in a cartridge format (need a cartridge gun...)

Anyway, not sure if that is already used by modelers, but this stuff is simply great !

I use to glue my servos in the wings using silicone, so I tried this glue for the ASW15...
Amazing !
The glue just grab the servo instantly ! Put a big bunch of glue, like I do with Silicone, and that dry in less than 24 hours, but you can already play with the servo (for setup etc etc) after roughly 30 minutes or so...
And impossible to move the servo, or unglue it once set !

But! Like Silicone, once set, it's a bit rubbery, slightly harder than silicone, and can be cut with a knife (good to remove the servo for maintenance if needed, but of course, you need to roll the servo in tape or heatshrink tube prior to gluing!)

I also tried it to glue servos inside a Fibre-Glass fuselage (a good drop, and the "flat" servo glue to the curve of the fuselage.. No frame needed!)... Also glued a servo tray in a FG fuselage...Works great, and same, impossible to unglue once set ! This is also an "Impact" glue, so because it is rubbery, at impact, the joint between the pieces move with the impact...

That thing glue pretty much everything to anything !
Did a few tests with wood etc etc, and can't fault the glue !

I don't know if that can be use to replace Silicone hinges (this is slightly harder than Silicone when dry...) but I'll try on a wing and let you know the result. I'm sure that will work, but that need to be tested in time...
Education is important, but flying RC planes and gliders is importanter!

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Ultimate glue !
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2009, 20:58:11 PM »
Hmmmm, interesting Fred. :?:
I normally use hot melt glue to secure my wing servos, but thanks for sharing your experience with “Serious Stuff Ultra” :clap:

All these little bits of information are good to have for ‘informed’ decision making about how to do various jobs.

Here’s a little tip you (and others) might find useful. :D

If I need to enlarge a round hole, or make an oval hole from a rectangular one, in wood or GF, or anything. I use a tungsten tile saw blade. They have rounded sides so it produces nice neat rounded holes. And because it’s very ridged you only have to hold one end of the blade.

K.
Try not to run out of airspeed, altitude and ideas....... all at the same time.

billscottni

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nimsa.co.uk ; www.billscott.org.uk
Ultimate glue !
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2009, 22:47:33 PM »
Fred,

How long does this stuff last once opened? Problem I've had with the cartridge type glues is that even if "sealed" with clingfilm or similar, they go off in the tube.

Fred

• Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
Ultimate glue !
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2009, 08:13:16 AM »
Hi Bill (sorry, late reply!)

Well, I don't know really... I have the cartridge opened for the past 2 months now, and so far, so good !
But at my current building rate (catching up with loads of projects!) I almost use it every day...
Again yesterday, glued a servo tray, and the servos into it with the glue as a trial... All good and neat (servos are lying flat on the tray... Lazy fecker option  :P  :oops: )

Fred

• Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
Ultimate glue !
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2009, 08:14:18 AM »
Keith,

Sound good !
Is that like a round file ?  :?:

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Ultimate glue !
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2009, 08:59:45 AM »
Yes Fred, it's a cheap-mans version of a round file.

(I'll do anything to save a few pennies..... :D ...........well, almost anything! :oops: )

billscottni

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nimsa.co.uk ; www.billscott.org.uk
Ultimate glue !
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2009, 12:56:39 PM »
Keith,

you sure you're English? Not a Scotsman putting on a Southern Counties accent???
 :twisted:  :twisted:

Thanks Fred. Isuupose that's the real trick, if you don't stop building it can't go off!!

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Ultimate glue !
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2009, 20:21:22 PM »
Och aye! 8)