Author Topic: Insurance Problems  (Read 3450 times)

rogallo

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Insurance Problems
« on: February 18, 2019, 13:53:32 PM »
Hi everyone,
     please read the following carefully and comment if you like. Below is the response I have sent to the MACI on our behalf.

To be ratified tomorrow night !

APPENDIX D
Official MACI Website Document www.maci.ie
  Proposed new Appendix D to be ratified at meeting 19/2/19
GENERAL POLICY: Our member to member insurance policy requires that model flying shall take place only from "approved flying sites" and the following shall constitute the categorisation of such approved flying sites for radio control use.
As it is impractical for the Council to inspect all sites, the final decision and responsibility regarding the suitability of any site MUST rest with the users of that site and NOT with the Council, and this principle must be accepted by all members as a condition of insurance. The Council would normally approve for insurance purposes any flying site that conforms to the following safety guidelines:
The site should be large enough to provide a minimum of approx. 300m x 100m clear space, containing no public buildings or roads.
Unobstructed take-off and landing approaches.
No overflying of spectators or carpark area due to site limitations.
 2. 3. 4.
A minimum separation of 200m from residential buildings or other noise sensitive areas, for powered aircraft.
Flying on a site shall normally be limited to insured club members of MACI at all times. No non MACI members shall be allowed to fly at any MACI site under these by-laws other than non-resident visitors from outside Ireland who are themselves members of and insured with the relevant controlling body for model aviation in their country of residence and then in accordance with current MACI and IAA statutory legislation.
 The following classifications of flying sites will be considered by the Council for approval:
A. CLUB SITES - Any Site which has been registered by a club and conducts its activities in accordance with current MACI and IAA statutory legislation. These sites would typically have six or more members. A written recommendation of site compliance will be required from the club secretary or other responsible official, upon annual re affiliation of the club.
B. PRIVATE SITES – Any site where access is limited to not more than six pilots who are already current members of any registered club, who shall satisfy themselves that the site is suitable and reasonable for the purpose of model flying, and that it conforms to the Council's site layout guide lines.
These sites have not been registered as a club site and the pilots will conduct their activities in accordance with current MACI and IAA statutory legislation as applied to non-registered sites.
A written recommendation will not be mandatory, except retrospectively in the case of a claim being made.
C. DISPLAY SITES – This specific category of site is only relevant where a registered club wishes to conduct display flying at a public location.
Where possible this should be undertaken using specific Insurance cover provided and arranged by the organisers. In the event of this being unavailable, written notice to the Council is mandatory on an MACI display notification form. The site must conform to the Council's safety guidelines and the conditions on the display notification form must be fully adhered to. Flying of any aircraft on these sites may only be undertaken by competent pilots holding a relevant category MACI B Certificate.
 Page 1 of 1

My response

Hello John and Brian,

I have to apologise but I am unable to make the Feb meeting due to work commitments.

I have one matter to raise as the club sec of Ireland Slope Rebels, Appendix D.

While we in the gliding group have always strived to fly safely and withing MACI and IAA guideline we now find ourselves in an impossible situation.

Guideline number 1 states "The site should be large enough to provide a minimum of approx. 300m x 100m clear space, containing no public buildings or roads." Most of our flying takes place from land next to roads as our sites are mainly public areas.

Guideline number 5 states "Flying on a site shall normally be limited to insured club members of MACI at all times. No non MACI members shall be allowed to fly at any MACI site under these by-laws other than non-resident visitors from outside Ireland who are themselves members of and insured with the relevant controlling body for model aviation in their country of residence and then in accordance with current MACI and IAA statutory legislation. " We fly in public spaces and as such have no control over any members of the public.

Up to now we have registered these as club sites as required by MACI and the IAA, as club sec I will not be in a situation to meet the criteria above and therefore will not be able to give a written recommendation of compliance.

CLUB SITES - Any Site which has been registered by a club and conducts its activities in accordance with current MACI and IAA statutory legislation. These sites would typically have six or more members. A written recommendation of site compliance will be required from the club secretary or other responsible official, upon annual re affiliation of the club.

I would ask is it the insurance company is looking for these changes to be made? If however these changes are being placed on members by members I should ask you reconsider ratifying it at tonight's meeting as it has serious implications for the gliding community going into the future.

Again I apologise for my non attendance but week-nights currently are not suitable for me to travel due to work commitments.

Regards

Ralph McCarthy
Club Sec ISR
Modify message
Report to moderator   157.190.134.90
Spots or no Spots?
Tuff Choice.
Spots or no Spots?
Tuff Choice.