Author Topic: Tountinna  (Read 13398 times)

Eiretime

• View Profile
Tountinna
« on: February 04, 2010, 12:49:50 PM »
Hi there,
Have heard people talking about Tountinna but never flown there. I didn't realise it was so close to my girlfriends parents place so would like to check it out sometime. Can anyone give me more info on the hill please.

Thanks

ed

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Tountinna
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2010, 14:54:24 PM »
Here you are Ed. These are the instructions given for the fly-in last year. Joe and I used them, and we found our way there without any probs. (Apart from Joe's driving.........Brown trousers-----if you get my drift :wink: )
Smashing site, smashing views, smashing models, (when we were flying combat!! :D )

1. Call Dave or Gerry if completely lost. Dave 086 8218746 Ger 086 3497493.

2. From the Main N7 Limerick to Dublin turn at the village of Bird hill. If travelling from the dublin direction you need to turn right at the main roundabout outside Birdhill. Signposted for Ballina/Kilalloo. If Travelling from the Limerick Direction you need to drive through Birdhill to the dublin side. Then turn left at the main roundabout for Ballina.

3. In Ballina you will have plenty space to park up and meet.

4. Head North through the village until you meet a tiny roundabout outside the Grocery store. Continue straight ahead at this roundabout.

5. You will then take the first right turn. You will know you are on the right path at this stage as the road takes a sudden uphill direction.

6. So the basic rule is KEEP RIGHT from now on. the next right turn is just opposite a small house on your left. He always has a boat parked there. There is a sign saying Graves of the Leinstermen straight ahead. Just turn right.

7. The road takes a downhill direction now to a very small bridge. Continue straight on.

8. Continue after the small bridge for about a mile or so. You will be doing some pretty decent uphill climbing now. The Next right turn is almost at the top. By now it will be very obvious that you need to turn right to get to the top of the hill. This turn is a very sharp and steep. It is almost a U turn in a 35degree uphill direction. 1st gear job!

9. Drive straight to the top. Car park at the top beside the transmission tower.

10. If lost refer to step 1.
Try not to run out of airspeed, altitude and ideas....... all at the same time.

Eiretime

• View Profile
Tountinna
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2010, 15:10:42 PM »
Hi there Keith, thanks for that. Sounds like you guys had a good day up there, well worth the visit then. What direction of wind works there do you know? and how far do you have to walk to get to the slope/slopes from the Car Park?

Thanks

ed

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Tountinna
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2010, 20:25:12 PM »
Can’t remember what wind directions are best, may  be one of the local lads can advise….. :?:

There are a couple of slopes that I used, each about a 5 minute walk from the car parking areas. Best thing is to drive right up besides the radio masts and check the wind direction. You’ll be able to see where best to glide from.

Check out (on this forum) MACI > Events  > ‘MACI 2009 Glide In Tountinna 13 -14 June.’ It was a good Fly - In. :D

K.
Try not to run out of airspeed, altitude and ideas....... all at the same time.

Eiretime

• View Profile
Tountinna
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2010, 12:08:18 PM »
Just saw some photos of the link Keith.L Like the one of Joe depicted as Christ! very funny. looks like a great spot with not much to crash into other than the ground! so will make a trip there sometime.

Thanks for the info

ed

joe

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.islandsloperebels.com
Tountinna
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2010, 23:18:37 PM »
Shannon Model Flying Club Glide-in at Tountinna will be the 12th of June this year. Or the 14th if the weather is crap on the 13th.
One for the diary

(edited to correct date)

gerryb

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Tountinna
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2010, 23:23:53 PM »
hi ed,  i'm the gliding sec for the shannon mfc.  give me a ring any time you're in the limerick area, if i'm free we could meet and maybe get some gliding in at tountinna. slope directions are from roughly ne through nw to sw.  east is useless.  my mobile no is 0863497493.  talk soon, gerry buckley

gerryb

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Tountinna
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2010, 23:36:08 PM »
hi joe, small correction on smfc glide-in dates.....it should read sat 12th june, with sun 13th the alternate day.  hope everyone can make it.  fine weather has been pre-ordered for delivery on the sat about 9 am!  combat models are being prepared for the great east v west mother of all dogfights....bring 'em on!!!

Eiretime

• View Profile
Tountinna
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2010, 12:49:25 PM »
Gerry, Thanks for the wind directions.  Will take you up on the offer if you have time. I think i will be down in the next month or so will give you some warning.

ed