Author Topic: Co. Wexford - Kilmuckridge area - E-SE  (Read 13336 times)

Fred

• Slope Soaring is not a crime!
  • Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gliderireland.net
Co. Wexford - Kilmuckridge area - E-SE
« on: October 01, 2007, 15:42:36 PM »
Another slope... This time, facing the Irish sea.
Coastal slope, so very laminar winds, the sand dune are high enough to provide really good lifts, even in light winds.
Winds must come from the East - South East area.
All size of models can be flown without any problems. Lots of space to land behind you (big fields), but just be carefull of the turbulence at the back of the slope, can be really big, but once you are under them, no problem, you are back into smooth air and you can land safely.

For the slope, once in Kilmuckridge, follow the sign for the Blackwater Golf Course, then, the slope is situated at Ballyvaldon that will guide you to the beach.

This slope is roughly at 1.10 hrs driving from Dublin (new motorway) and well worth a try !

Here, this is only one of the field you can land on... That was the smallest here... :D

Education is important, but flying RC planes and gliders is importanter!

Eiretime

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2010, 19:47:04 PM »
Hey Fred,
I have been wanting to go to this slope for sometime now and looks like Sunday will be good, nice and windy  :D  One question, to get a SE facing slope do you have to walk far or do you just fly with a sightly cross wind?

Thanks

ed

Fred

• Slope Soaring is not a crime!
  • Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gliderireland.net
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 13:56:53 PM »
Hi Ed  :D  

As far as I remember, this is SEE spot on, but East is possible if you walk along the edge (the edge is doing some sort of Vs if you see what I mean), but we never had issues flying here.
Smooth coastal lift, and nice landing area!

When you park, Go through the gate to access the field and go up to the edge going around the field (chatted with the landlord, and he prefers we do it that way, because of the grass for the cows. But alone, you will not have any issues)

Joe might tell you more about it, this is his local slope (well, for Easterlies anyway  :D )
Education is important, but flying RC planes and gliders is importanter!

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2010, 17:26:02 PM »
Cattle are in the landing field at the moment Ed. I was there today. Of course, they might be gone by Sunday

Keith
Try not to run out of airspeed, altitude and ideas....... all at the same time.

Eiretime

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2010, 21:45:23 PM »
Hi Fred and Keith,
Thanks Guy's for the tips about the slope. Nice to be tipped off about the Moo Cows, could be a bit of a pain for the old landings! So the Farmer is cool about people walking through his field, thats great. Hey Fred i get what you mean regarding the V's.
  Keith are you around Sunday?

ed

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2010, 03:06:08 AM »
Hey Ed,

Afraid I really don’t know about this Sunday. :?:  The misses wants to take her horse to a cross country centre for some trails. It’s possible a friend of ours, that is also going to the same place, could transport her horse there, but at the moment we’re not sure if he is going. :!:
If he doesn’t go I’ll have to tow our horse trailer with our very old Land Rover which doesn’t have powered steering and Mandy finds it difficult to drive. (She’s only a short arse)

If I can go on Sunday I’ll send you.

K.
Try not to run out of airspeed, altitude and ideas....... all at the same time.

Eiretime

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2010, 12:27:49 PM »
Short Arses dont really work in Land Rovers unfortunatly, had that problem in the past as well Keith :lol:  I hope to be down there about 11/12 ish.

Thanks

ed