Author Topic: DLG / Handlauch gliding  (Read 37223 times)

Alan_Perse

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
DLG / Handlauch gliding
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2010, 11:40:56 AM »
I would give it a go, if I could get out of my house that is.

Richard Boyd

• View Profile
DLG / Handlauch gliding
« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2010, 15:33:55 PM »
Hi guys, it sure is cold on the thumbs but very refreshing for the heart and mind to get out to fly.
I was in Lithuania in 2007 flying indoors with friends and we tried to fly DLG gliders in minus 20-25DC !
This all took part in the city of Vilnius, flying around tower blocks of flats, limbo under electric cables and getting fantastic lift by flying over McDonalds !
I always knew McDonalds had something good to offer the public.
East winds are  too strong today but I will be out again tomorrow.
If I can get a passer bye to take aa few snaps I will post them tomorrow night.

Richard
Richard Boyd
A bad days flying is better than a good days work.

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
DLG / Handlauch gliding
« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2010, 17:31:15 PM »
Richard, my gasp is suitably falbbered, :D  (Flabber gasped). I had thought I was the only one to be mad enough to go gliding regularly is sub zero temperatures. It seems you too are as insane as me, in fact more so…… Minus 25 C! That’s outrageous !!! :wink:

Know what you mean about the cold thumbs. I’m hoping Santa will bring me a transmitter muff on the 25th. I’ve been told using one is rather like,…..and I quote, “Flying a plane with your hands up Sooty’s arse!” :shock:

Now I have to admit I’ve never had the dubious pleasure of putting my hand up Sooty’s arse, (Or anyone else's arse for that matter!) and it may be you are not old enough to remember who Sooty was anyway. But I’m game for anything these days if it get’s me out and flying.

Good on ‘ya Richard, keep up the good work! :clap:

Keith
Try not to run out of airspeed, altitude and ideas....... all at the same time.

Richard Boyd

• View Profile
DLG / Handlauch gliding
« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2010, 08:11:10 AM »
Hi Keith, I have missed flying yesterday due to more snow falling here in Dungannon.
This weekend again is looking bad for flying as I have family business to attend.
Keith there is nothing like a MUFF to keep those little tootsies warm !
  :lol:

Richard
Richard Boyd

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
DLG / Handlauch gliding
« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2010, 08:45:05 AM »
Warm Tootsies :shock: !!??

I think I shall have to have a word with the forum moderator about you Richard. :?:

(This forum has definitely gone downhill in recent years………..there are an awful lot of very strange contributors on it now) :lol:  :lol:

K.

billscottni

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nimsa.co.uk ; www.billscott.org.uk
DLG / Handlauch gliding
« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2010, 10:08:55 AM »
Keith,

John &I both use neoprene fishing gloves. With most types the ends of the thumb and forefinger can be turned buck leaving just the tips of those digits exposed. gives a far better feel than normal gloves. Never coud get on with the muffs, always found it hard to get my hands in and on to thesticks if solo flying. Fine if you have someone to launch for you and can already have your hands in and o the sticks.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ron-Thompson-Neoprene-Gloves-Fishing-Hunting-sz-Medium-/360318600973?pt=UK_Sporting_Goods_Sports_Clothing_LE&hash=item53e4a9870d

I got mine for under a tenner

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
DLG / Handlauch gliding
« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2010, 11:20:45 AM »
Thanks for the tip Bill.

Regarding muff’s,……. I think pilots divide into one of two groups.

There are those who swear BY them, :D  
And there are those who swear AT them. :evil:

I’ll wait and see what Santa brings me, (if anything) and if I can’t get on with the muff I’ll try neoprene gloves.

Thanks again,

Keith

Richard Boyd

• View Profile
DLG / Handlauch gliding
« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2010, 13:51:15 PM »
In the good old days when I was a lad ! long time ago.
My father took both me and my brother out flying on the mountain, we were known as the retrievers.
Any way he used a plastic bag over his tranny and had a pair of socks as gloves.
This was at least 35yrs ago.
How things have advanced.
Or have they !

Richard  :!:
Richard Boyd

luke

• View Profile
libelle dlg
« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2014, 19:37:11 PM »
hi richard , i read with interest about your adventures in DLG 's
I have dipped my toe (so to speak) in it myself . I bought a libelle , almost ready to glide glider from hyperflight uk . Im running it on a four channel reciever . But between reading a bit more , and  looking at my launches , i now realise that a 5 or 6 channel is a must , (having to switch between spoilerons for launch , and a slight camber for thermalling) having done quite abit yourself , do you use different flight modes for flying ?
Any tips for launching/finding thermals would also be appreciated
Its probably one of those things you learn by doing ,trial and error  :roll:

andrew wallace

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bmfc.btinternet.co.uk
DLG / Handlauch gliding
« Reply #39 on: May 18, 2014, 08:56:58 AM »
hi Luke
i have a Blaster and i use 3 different settings i have normal flight, Launch and thermal

on launch mode i have the ailerons set up a couple of degrees and this helps getting the model into the air

on the thermal setting the ailerons are set a couple of degrees down to change the camber of the wing

all these settings are all trail and error and once you get a happy medium with them you'll get the results and the height on the launch is all practise and make sure you're CG is right that aslo can effect your launch
i\'m an ordinary man nothing special nothing grand