Author Topic: Sept 2010 Glide in  (Read 41899 times)

JohnPearson

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Sept 2010 Glide in
« on: September 06, 2010, 16:57:24 PM »
Hi all

Fingers crossed that the weather will be good over the weekend, for our trip to Big L. Richard and I will be down on Saturday morning and staying over to Sunday,( Wild Bill is still out of action with a bad back so can't make the event) so hope to meet you all at the carpark, for a good weekends craic on the slope.

johnp

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Sept 2010 Glide in
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2010, 19:42:00 PM »
Sorry to hear “Scottie” (he must have been called that more than once in his life! :wink: ) won’t be joining us. He’s very good at launching planes you know. I once asked him to launch one of mine, meaning  for him to launch it off the ridge. Instead, he nearly launched it off the planet! :lol:

The winds look like they’re gonna play ball this weekend, predominately westerly’s at 30 - 40K. I can live with that. (40 - 60 would be better, but let’s not be greedy.)  

Don’t forget to bring some foamies that I can smash to pieces with my combat wing, John. :twisted:  (I do like a bit of ‘rough’ sometimes)

So,…….I shall look forward to seeing your happy smiling faces on Saturday.

Keith
Try not to run out of airspeed, altitude and ideas....... all at the same time.

billscottni

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nimsa.co.uk ; www.billscott.org.uk
Sept 2010 Glide in
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2010, 20:28:54 PM »
Sorry Keith I'm having enough  problems driving the 20 mins to work at the moment! :shock:  The thought of 4 - 5 hours is just not on. I wouldn't be able to stand at the far end, let alone wander up and down hills and fly :cry:  :cry:

The launch technique was learnt throwing F3f models in Scotland in the days when they were b***y heavy and needed a good chuck.

Never a bad thing to throw a model hard........................ as long as it's not at the ground :twisted:

Saw one in Norway thrown in to a dry stone wall! We were launching over the wall and one of the Danish team slipped as he was throwing £1000 worth of model...OOPS!

See you at the next event , Or maybe up here :?:

gerryb

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
sept fly in
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2010, 01:55:47 AM »
plan to be there either sat or sun, sorry can't make both days. looking forward to some good flying. gb

Fred

• Slope Soaring is not a crime!
  • Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gliderireland.net
Sept 2010 Glide in
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2010, 09:27:03 AM »
Hi guys,

Sorry, a bit late on that one !  :oops:
I hope the weather will hold! Big wind announced, hopefully the rain will stay away.

Windguru is my best friend right now  :D
Education is important, but flying RC planes and gliders is importanter!

Eiretime

• View Profile
Sept 2010 Glide in
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2010, 18:56:24 PM »
Yeah Just checked the weather  :D Looking good. Hope it stays that way for the weekend! Hopefully see you all there.

ed

Fred

• Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
Sept 2010 Glide in
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2010, 15:20:18 PM »
Guys,

Just checked the weather, looks like a bit of drizzle for Saturday afternoon...
Someone have another forecast?

Looks like Sunday is going to be great !
Both days on the West Slope. Do I bring a BBQ ?  :D

rogallo

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Sept 2010 Glide in
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2010, 15:48:51 PM »
Les and I will be there on Sat only :(
Spots or no Spots?
Tuff Choice.

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Sept 2010 Glide in
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2010, 18:06:33 PM »
The general consensus of forecasters seems to be poss drizzle/showers for Saturday pm :(  with fine weather on Sunday. :)
For anyone flying on Saturday afternoon it could be a case of  playing ‘Doge the Showers.’ I normally assemble only one plane of around two metre wingspan, so if it does shower I can slide the model under the car and just sit out the rain. Fortunately the west slope is only a few meters from the car parking area.
Personally I recon there will be wind speeds of 40 to 50Km/h at the top of the slope on Saturday :D , and 25 to possibly 40Km/h on Sunday :) . That would equal good Bank & Yank flying for anyone having a bash at racing. :D
I intend to be there for most of the day on both Sat. & Sun. However I’ve developed a small groin hernia which tends to get a bit sore sometimes if I stand (or walk) for too long :oops: . Bugger! :evil:  Anyway I’ll be there for some of the time on both days.

Looking forward to seeing as many of you as I can :D

Keith

JohnPearson

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Sept 2010 Glide in
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2010, 21:02:53 PM »
Hi Keith

Which slope is west facing, can't remember, old age I expect

Fred

• Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
Sept 2010 Glide in
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2010, 21:33:27 PM »
Hey John,

That's the one when you arrive, on the way to Nine Stones, after the first gate.
We park at the forest gate.
Not sure if I'm clear, but that's the one we flew PSS from :D

Saturday might be alright, seems that will only be a few showers... But of course, locally, we might have nothing!

And good wind for the entire week end  :D

By the way, did you book rooms at the Ryan's pub ?

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Sept 2010 Glide in
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2010, 22:17:50 PM »
John,…….cast your mind back to the time when you, Richard, and I were on Big L.
I think it was after the indoor fly-in near Kiltealy.
Richard was flying his Phase 6 for the first time.
That was the “lower” West Slope. (You might also remember that there's lots of heather near the top of the ridge.)

I like that slope because the Hang & Para-gliders can’t use it, for some reason I don’t understand, so we’ll have ‘clear skies.’

I’m hoping you’re gonna show me some exquisite Vector aerobatics this weekend John. :D  (Three, four point rolls, followed by a stall turn and an outside loop, finishing with a spot landing at my feet!)
I’ll buy you a drink if you do it.!!! :lol:

K.

JohnPearson

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Sept 2010 Glide in
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2010, 22:19:24 PM »
Thanks Fred

This slope is not great for big PSS , therefore I think I will stick to the vector ,extreme and the 4m DR808 this weekend, I haven't called ryans pub, will phone them tomorrow, I know it's late to get a room, but I will take a chance. If we can't get sorted, I can take the motorhome down on saturday and park up some were?

Fred

• Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
Sept 2010 Glide in
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2010, 22:27:02 PM »
Hey John,

With the good blow we are going to have this week end, I don't think flying big PSS will be an issue :)

We flew big fat heavy non aerodynamic gliders on the West slope with less wind than that! Ok, for the PSS event, the wind was not really there, but this slope produce great lift with 20km/h wind and up.  :D

Haven't called Ryan's pub too  :oops:  I'm sure they have some beds free, well fingers crossed anyway !

I don't think there will be an issue to leave the motorhome in Bunclody, or even, why not, at the slope  :D

JohnPearson

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Sept 2010 Glide in
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2010, 22:29:47 PM »
Thanks keith

My internet is playing up tonight and I am getting return messages late,  :evil:  :evil: Yes I know the slope now! as for the fancy flying, I will let richard entertain you, he's flying the vector with added weight, looping and rolling all over the sky. I just fly in his shadow ha ha !