Author Topic: Sept 2010 Glide in  (Read 41897 times)

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Sept 2010 Glide in
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2010, 07:26:13 AM »
Good man Richard, you’ll be at the mountain before me but I’ll look forward to scrutinizing your flying ability this afternoon! :wink:

Just to let you know what you’re heading towards…………..

At the moment the top half of the mountain is covered in cloud although the surrounding area has much higher cloud levels. There are a few little spots of blue poking through!

No rain, but after a thoroughly wet night  the ground is well sodden

Temp. = 9 C

Wind speed/direction = 7Km/h from the south west

Vis. = 25+Km

I’ll be up on the Big L by 1 o/c at the latest. See you all then.

Keith
Try not to run out of airspeed, altitude and ideas....... all at the same time.

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Sept 2010 Glide in
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2010, 08:06:24 AM »
Just as a foot note and a sign of just how much things can change in half an hour……..

There are now vast areas of blue sky and bright sunshine. However, the cloud on the mountain is actually thickening at the moment. Wind speed has increased very slightly and gone round a little more to the west’ish. (WSW) Temperature has risen one degree and now 10 C.

I’ve seen his situation many times, and I recon today has all the makings for a good autumn days flying. Hold on to your hats! :lol:

K.

gerryb

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Sept 2010 Glide in
« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2010, 23:37:49 PM »
home at 9.30pm. just reliving the events of the day and what a great day's flying we had! consistant winds, solid lift all day and plenty of lively banter to keep us sharp. thanks to all in company, i thoroughly enjoyed the day out. looking forward to the next outing.gb

Eiretime

• View Profile
Sept 2010 Glide in
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2010, 23:43:31 PM »
Well what a day at Mt.L!  Between my slicing Fred`s wing off his 4 meter ship in a mid-air collision(really sorry that that happened buddy, really shame :( ) and Keith's miraculous escape from loosing both wings during flight! and sorry i nearly forgot the best part of the story for those not there, Fred actually managed to recover from the impact then land with 1.5 wings and with only one aileron :clap:  :clap:  :clap: Had to be there to see the piloting skills! Thanks Lads for the great day out, looks like i wont make tomorrow so have a good one, and hope the heads weren't to sore in the morning  :lol: So Hope Sunday is slightly less uneventful, good to see and fly with you all in such a special spot.

See you maybe around xmas

ed

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Sept 2010 Glide in
« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2010, 07:56:38 AM »
Well yesterday was a most interesting days flying. Apart from some showers which insisted on depositing respectable quantities of water in the afternoon, causing all pilots to dive for the protection of their cars, the lift was pretty fair all day.
A few breath stopping moments were witnesses including one of me launching a model without switching it on first. :shock:  The Phase 6 rose, drifted behind the flight line, and then nose dived into the ground. (Very embarrassing) :oops:  :oops:
But certainly the most fantastic event of the day, in my opinion, was seeing Fred land one of his 4mtr birds after half the right wing and right aileron (including the aileron servo) had been removed following a mid air collision. He just brought it into land as if there was nothing wrong with it!
That was 100% pure skill. I take my hat off to you Fred. :clap:  :clap:  

So, let’s see what today has in stall for us.

This morning , as usual, Big L is sleeping under it’s duvet of cloud. Blue sky almost everywhere else and brilliant sunshine which is starting to take some of the damp chill off the atmosphere.
Right now the temp. is 10C. Wind speed /direction is Zero, but don’t be fooled into thinking that the day is lost………….by noon all predictions are that there will be a gentle westerly with only the slight possibility of the odd shower.

Looking forward to meeting Les and Ralph, and also Alan today. Oh, and anyone else who cares to venture forth up onto the mighty mountain. (I’d throw at least one ‘floater’ in the car if I were you lads, don’t think there’s gonna be a vast amount of lift today.)
See you up there around miday. :wink:

Keith

Alan_Perse

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Sept 2010 Glide in
« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2010, 19:57:07 PM »
Hi All. What a great days flying. It was great to see you all. Here are some of the pictures I took.

billscottni

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nimsa.co.uk ; www.billscott.org.uk
Sept 2010 Glide in
« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2010, 20:03:22 PM »
Looks like everybody had a good day, even Joe appeared from hibernation!.

Hopefully, I'll make next years.

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Sept 2010 Glide in
« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2010, 21:04:09 PM »
That was possibly one of the most enjoyable days I’ve had in the 2 years and 9 months I’ve been flying model planes. :D
The reason I say that is because I went home with all models still working! :lol:
No,  joking aside it’s been a very pleasant day because of the very pleasant company. Unfortunately you certainly missed something good, Bill. Hope to see you at the next one.

Fair to good lift all day meant everything I loaded in the car flew, at some point. 8)  The only slightly disappointing thing was that despite 6 planes partaking in combat, I didn’t manage to hit any of them! :(  Les’s Zagi and my Skua had a “parting kiss” at one point, but other than that, no contacts. Couldn’t believe it! :!:

I trust all you guys had a safe journey home. The next time we meet en-mass wont be till next year. :cry:   But they do say that, “Absents makes the heart grow fonder”

Of course, after such a marvellous weekend, now I have to face a very ordinary Monday. Oh well,…….poo happens!

Keith

rogallo

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Sept 2010 Glide in
« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2010, 21:08:39 PM »
A great day had by all, many thanks to our hosts Joe and Fred, great BBQ and great company and friends.
Les and I have had a fan day. Weather and good flying beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. Boooooooooooooooooooooooo thump.
See you All again soon

Les and Ralph
Spots or no Spots?
Tuff Choice.

Alan_Perse

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Sept 2010 Glide in
« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2010, 21:10:23 PM »
Quote from: "Happy Days"
Fair to good lift all day meant everything I loaded in the car flew, at some point. 8)  The only slightly disappointing thing was that despite 6 planes partaking in combat, I didn’t manage to hit any of them! :(  Les’s Zagi and my Skua had a “parting kiss” at one point, but other than that, no contacts. Couldn’t believe it! :!:

You did manage to hit a tree though :D  :D  :P  :P

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Sept 2010 Glide in
« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2010, 21:16:14 PM »
Trust you to tell everyone Alan! :evil:  :oops:  :oops:  

(I lost sight of my model, thought I was flying a crow!!! The Skua went out of control and flew into the trees!)

Richard Boyd

• View Profile
Sept 2010 Glide in
« Reply #41 on: September 12, 2010, 21:17:33 PM »
I am now home safe and well after a wonderful weekend at Mt. L . Thanks to everyone for making this such a special weekend of flying !
Great company, great crack, what more could anyone ask for,

Thanks again to everyone.

Richard
Richard Boyd
A bad days flying is better than a good days work.

Aidan

• View Profile
Sept 2010 Glide in
« Reply #42 on: September 13, 2010, 09:31:41 AM »
I only made it for the last couple of hours on Sunday but it was well worth the trip! Great fun.

Aidan

Fred

• Slope Soaring is not a crime!
  • Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gliderireland.net
Sept 2010 Glide in
« Reply #43 on: September 13, 2010, 09:36:50 AM »
Hi all,

Well, first of all, thanks to everyone for coming !  :clap:  I can now safely say that we all had a great week end.
Lots of wind, good slope, great bunch of guys, soem good laugh, and even a BBQ! Life !

Here are a few photos, sorry, not much as my camera is a bit useless for in flight photos  :(

First flight for the Wazeco with the new set of wings... Sb96V/VS... Much much much better ! Except for the bloody rudder servo!  :!:

Education is important, but flying RC planes and gliders is importanter!

billscottni

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nimsa.co.uk ; www.billscott.org.uk
Sept 2010 Glide in
« Reply #44 on: September 13, 2010, 09:45:08 AM »
Who's is the Grunau Baby? Is that the prototype for the new Island Models kit Fred?