Author Topic: Some like it hot ..some like it windy and some just like it  (Read 12060 times)

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Some like it hot ..some like it windy and some just like it
« on: September 14, 2012, 14:15:33 PM »
It was windy with sunny spells up on the west slope of the Big L. today. It was in these conditions that Big Keith faced his first trial flying of a model glider. :o

The wind speed was 30 - 40Kmh gusting 60. 8)   “In at the deep end, that’s the way you do it!” As I said to the ‘Big Fella’ “If you can fly in these conditions. You can fly in anything.” And fly he did too.
Although the Skua is only a small blip in the sky in the first picture, (range; probably 350mtrs) it was being flown by Big Keith, all by himself. (Alone, and with no body else) while I was fiddling with the camera.

He seemed very capable so I told him I was going back to the car for a drink. As I walked away from him I glanced back from time to time, to see if my combat wing was still airborne. It was for quite a long time, but then when I looked for it, it was nowhere to be seen. (I prayed it wasn’t in the trees behind the landing area.)

Turned out that Keith had come in a little too close into the ridge, and “landed” it in the heather.

As my other ’alf always tells me, “If you come out of the saddle, it’s best to get back up and ride on.
So that’s what Keith did. :D

In fact, before the end of the session, he was not only flying the plane, but launching it with his left hand while operating the TX with his right!
I’d say that was pretty good for someone who’d never flown a glider before.

Well done that Man :clap:  :clap:

K.
Ps We’re thinking of returning the Big L on Sunday, if anyone wants to join us. :wink:

Try not to run out of airspeed, altitude and ideas....... all at the same time.

Keith

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2012, 15:22:36 PM »
Ha ha thanks Keith..
 I put it all down to my instructor

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2012, 18:02:11 PM »
Made a new friend today on the Big L.  :D

Big Keith & I met up on the west slope and New Boy Brendan  (AKA Bren.P) :clap:  showed up. Brendan already had a Easy Glider Pro 8)   but seems to be having a spot of bother landing it. Unfortunately he didn’t have the Easy Glider with him today, but maybe next time. (He only lives 10minutes away from Mt. Lienster so we’ll bear that in mind for the next Glide-In. (Forget the BBQ, ……burgers and rashers at Brendan’s house lads! :P )

Had a slight mishap with Big Keith’s V tail. It crashed. :cry:  The lift wasn’t quite strong enough to keep his Delta wing in the air either so he had a go of a Phase 6. (He’s certainly up for it that lad)…..No he didn’t crash.
He’ll soon be doing loops, four point rolls, waterfalls and all the rest of it, you’ll see! :lol:

(Little) Keith

Keith

• View Profile
:-)
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2012, 20:11:02 PM »
Hi little Keith
Yeah it was a strange day today but at least we got some flying done and it was totally out of your control it wasn't your fault it crashed . It's all part of it :-)
And don't worry the v-tail is drying beside me as we speak :-) it will be perfect for our next day flying  :roll:

And hi to new boy bren.p  ..we will see you next time we are out  :D

Fred

• Slope Soaring is not a crime!
  • Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gliderireland.net
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2012, 11:45:56 AM »
Welcome to the forum Brendan  :D
Education is important, but flying RC planes and gliders is importanter!

bren.p

• View Profile
Hi all
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2012, 20:57:30 PM »
Met happy feet ooopppsss imean happy days and big keith om the big L have to say the friendliest guys i have met in a while introduced themselves while little keith gave me great advice and i looked on in awe to see both keiths been able to fly with such proficency.

Iam determined to be able to do that one day :) .

Well all I can say is that they are both great embasodors for the great hobby we all seem to love the beauty of flight.

See you on the slopes guys.

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2012, 22:35:57 PM »
We’ll have to keep an eye on the weather Brendan. BTW can you see Mt L. from where you live. I can see the ‘other’ side of the mountain from my house, but I can’t see Nine Stones or the west slope.

The only way to become proficient is by ‘doing it’ Brendan. My special proficiency is landings. :)  Well,……..may be not landings as such,…..with me they tend to be more like, now how can I put this politely? :?: ….. ‘controlled crashes’….. on a good day. And on a normal day?.... I simply crash! :!:
The key to it all is practise, so remember;

You’re never too old to learn. (I’m older than god,…. and I’m still learning.)
Strike while the iron’s hot.
He who hesitates, is lost.
A stitch in time saves nine.
Put everything off till tomorrow, if it’s flying weather today!

I might pop up to Big L tomorrow morning. (Tuesday). Don’t know if you’d care to join me? :D

Keith

bren.p

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2012, 05:44:20 AM »
Hi Keith I can see the big L from the N80 alright which is just a bit away from my house.

I agree practise makes perfect Iam working up in Dublin till thurs and finish on fri early in Shillealagh  :D My working week starts on a saturday so wont know till fri where I will be.

Cant wait to take to the slopes to be honest.

There is a guy on the forum Athony selling his Easy Glider s330 for 40euro he lives in rathfarnham was thinking it would make a good secound glider?.

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2012, 08:27:02 AM »
Hay Brendan, (or even Hey Brendan :oops: )
I think you’ll find that Anthony’s Easy Glider has been sold, just last week! Stephen, also a new member to the forum, bought it. Too bad.
I must say you sound very enthusiastic to enter this mad cap world of slope soaring. Please be warned however, it is highly additive. The more you get, the more you want! :wink:

Having a second plane it a very good idea. If you’re still learning the basics I personally think that a ‘Combat Wing’ is a good back up plane.

The benefit of them is that they’re cheap, easy to assemble, and virtually indestructible.

They’re normally used in aerial ’combat.’ A type of slope soaring where a group of pilots all fly their planes at the same time with the intention of literally knocking into each other and forcing their opponents to the ground or destroying them in mid air :twisted: …..‘Last man standing’ (or flying in this case) is the winner!
Not that I'm suggesting that a quite, well mannered chap, like yourself would want to indulge in a pursuit involving  such violence, but the Wings are very resilient to damage. So when it comes to practising landing they’re useful coz if they hit the ground too hard, you can just pick them up and launch them again! 8)
(Just a thought anyway)

Okay,….when you know what days you’re free next week let us know and we’ll keep an eye on the weather forecasts. You’ll be able to let us know if the slopes are clear of cloud. Good Man Brendan! :clap:

Keith,
(The little, good looking one :P )

bren.p

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2012, 09:14:37 AM »
I was emailing Athony re his easy glider and he still has it for sale as of yesterday anyways;-).

Thanks for the idea of the fixed wing seems a great idea just starting alright i reckon it wud help with confidence just getting used to the whole thing.

Really looking forward to getting up on the big L i have to admit after my first crash i really felt disheartened but i dont give up too easily fall off a horse get right back up or you never will ;-).

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2012, 09:44:08 AM »
Oh! :shock:  I thought Stephen had bought it,….well,…when you get to my age, life gets very confusing you know.

I’m told three things happen during the ageing process: Firstly the memory goes,……..er……I can’t remember the other two! :!:

As for “getting back into the saddle.” Allow me to let you into a little secret, Brendan.
There are ONLY two types of rc pilots; Those who have crashed, and those who are about to!
(I fall into both categories ) In fact if a rc pilot tells you he has never crashed you’ll know one of two things about him (or her) Either they haven’t been flying very long, or their lying!

(Incidentally, watch out for pilots to who try to hide  their crashes by using pseudonyms such as, “ I had an ‘unconventional landing’ the other day.”  :wink: )

So, now that you’ve “popped your cherry” so to speak, welcome to the party! :clap:

K.

Keith

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2012, 09:54:33 AM »
Some good advice there from little Keith :-) but yeah Bren the combat wings are great at taking a beating . I was looking at them on line last night and there not that expensive for the fun you'll get out of them :-) and it should last you years

Keith

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2012, 10:34:42 AM »
Combat Wing’ is a good back up plane.

[/quote]

Hi Keith that wing is from smc . What are they like to deal with are the quick with delivery ??

error404

• View Profile
    • http://www.rubberprintdesign.com
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2012, 13:00:52 PM »
Keith, you were right, I sold the Easy Glider to Stephen but I also have this which Brendan is interested in, its the ST330 which I bought from Hoppyking, basically its there version of the Easy Glider.

Anthony
www.rubberprintdesign.com
Vinyl Lettering / Decals / Labels for your models.
T-Shirts / Polos / Jackets / Hoodies for you.
Mousemats / Jigsaws / Mugs / Posters / Keyrings

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2012, 13:43:52 PM »
Well Hi Anthony, :D  long time no speak.
Now I understand! So the model you are selling at the moment is not actually a Multiplex East Glider, but an equivalent. ( Pedantic Englishmen like me can be easily confused by such trivial inconsistencies :roll: ) Please excuse me. :oops:

Keith;
I confess I tend to use SMC as much as anything else because I know my way around their web site. I also like them because they have a standard charge for shipping models to Ireland of just £14.00
It’s a bit silly really because sometimes I can pay more shipping charges for a bunch of parts than for an entire plane. As for speed of shipment,…..I ordered two models from SMC last Monday, they arrived on Thursday. (I’ve found it best to order things on the phone from them,…..stuff I’ve ordered off their web site seems to take longer to arrive. Don’t know why!

Combat Wing, er? :twisted:  Could it be that your misses is thinking of what to get the ‘Love of her Life’ for xmas???

Incidentally, if you are getting a wing I’d advise using metal servos with it. I found that on heavy landings the elevons can jar the servos and strip the gears. Question of personal choice of course.

I hope you’re making notes of all this Brendan,….I’ll be asking questions later!! :P

Keith. (The handsome one)