Author Topic: Le trip to Le Menez Hom  (Read 49386 times)

Fred

• Slope Soaring is not a crime!
  • Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gliderireland.net
Le trip to Le Menez Hom
« Reply #90 on: May 18, 2013, 20:46:17 PM »
Irish in heart!
And Alcoholic, so that qualify you  :lol:  :lol:
Education is important, but flying RC planes and gliders is importanter!

Keith

• View Profile
Le trip to Le Menez Hom
« Reply #91 on: May 18, 2013, 21:14:00 PM »
What did you get the trophy for fred ???

Fred

• Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
Le trip to Le Menez Hom
« Reply #92 on: May 18, 2013, 21:14:10 PM »
Ok, so, the event now...  :D

We were 6 to travel to the 20th Menez Hom meeting from Ireland.
The annual Menez Hom meeting is a meeting dedicated to what we call the GPRs (Grands Planeurs RC - Big RC Gliders) and all you need, is a 4m+ glider to participate.
Gliders pit is made of 99% of scale gliders, and you have the odd alpina 4001, 5001 and some other machines that do the 1% left.

This year saw 50 pilots, from 4 different nationalities (France, Belgium, Germany and Ireland) with 80 gliders at anyone time on the pit at the slope (don't know the total of gliders, but well over 200 seeing the amount of gliders that were not put off the vans on the car park!)

Conditions were, let's say, challenging! Big winds, but unfortunately, not straight on the slope, but from the left, coming from the "petit Menez" for the one who knows the slope. So that's a lot of turbulences on the lower layer, but plenty of lift in front of us.
Landings were the big discussion on the day, with, for some weird reasons, 99% of the landing approaches were made on top of the car park, the public and the glider pit! When you have a 7m machine 2m from the cars and the public, this is quiet a sight! No clue why this was advised to be done that way, as there is at least 20 football field of space to land a glider on top of the slope! So we decided for a short landing path instead and land in front of us. Easier and safer!
Oh, and with Ronan, we were doing them in tandem with our 2 ASW15. On the spot each time and applauses from the pit  :clap:  :D

We are not that bad  :lol:  :P

Same way taken by the rest of us, and I am happy to report that we did not had any landing incident (Ok, I broke one of my rudder link on the Pilatus on the first landing! And that's a 20Kgs steel wire! Don't know why, as the landing was fine, but if you think that built up rudders on big models are too weak, think again! I was sure that the rudder will give up before the steel wire! I guess there was a weak spot were I crimple the wire, but the cut is slightly further up the line... Weird!)

Talking about gliders, I am happy to report that the Pilatus B4 flew great! First flight was a non event, and at 6Kgs, very light! (maybe too light!)
The Crystal is now trimmed after I modified the servos etc, so all good. 12kgs in the air is a nice sight, and thanks for that in the big wind we had!
ASW15.. Well, that's the asw15!  :lol:
Ronan flew is Pilatus B4 and his ASW15, Ralph his KA8b, Kevin his Bergfalke, Les his Solution, and finally John, flew his ASH26, Minimoa and got lots of interest in the Fouga Magister with some nice flying.
Can be proud of the Irish team!  :D  :D  :clap:  :clap:

All in all, a very nice event, a good bunch of friends, and if you want to see some big machines, this is one of the place to be!

More later about the trip  :mrgreen:

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Le trip to Le Menez Hom
« Reply #93 on: May 18, 2013, 23:43:54 PM »
What an amazing bunch of photos! And a couple of nice vids as well! :clap:  :clap:

I found your ‘report’ very interesting Fred, thanks. But tell me. :?:  If there were fifty pilots, all with planes of at least 4mtr span, how was the flying controlled? Surely there couldn’t have been more than three, or at most, four models in the air at any one time. Were the pilots allotted flying times each or something?

Very impressed with you & Ronans’ spot landings. 8)  I always say that you can tell a good pilot by their landings. ( I’m just grateful to get my planes on the ground in one piece!)

Strange that you had a rudder cable that snapped for no apparent reason, and I’ve had a servo arm that broke recently, also for no apparent reason!

K.
Try not to run out of airspeed, altitude and ideas....... all at the same time.

johnfireball

• View Profile
Le trip to Le Menez Hom
« Reply #94 on: May 19, 2013, 00:16:23 AM »
Hi all,
      Great pics and vids, seems like ye had a ball. Fred for 2 pack paint try Waller & Wickham in Baldoyle ind est. They supply paint, epoxy and heavy glass for marine use. Its not cheap but  good quality.
John.
I have the body of an 18 year old.........I keep it in the freezer

Fred

• Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
Le trip to Le Menez Hom
« Reply #95 on: May 19, 2013, 09:58:17 AM »
Thank you all  :D
Thanks John, I'll check that. Otherwise, plan B is to order some in France (job for you in September Ralph!  :P  :P ). No point re-painting my fuselage now as the paint will not stick, and I'm tired of doing it every year!  :!:

Keith, the cup was for.. I don't know, was not listening!  :oops:  :lol:  We were having a laugh with Ronan and I had to go and get it after I heard my name. Let's say collective cup. We left it with Ronan as none of us wanted to have a dust collecting device in our house!  :lol:  :lol:

The trip now - Part1  :D
We took the usual Night ferry from Celtic Link, leaving Rosslare at 9pm, and off we went on a smooth crossing to Cherbourg.

The Irish team:

Most of our time was spent at the bar, for some nice Guinness and other beverages. Of course, some nice chats etc etc, a good trip!  :D

Of course, because it is a small world, we managed to meet some fellow French modelers that we met last September at the Aerotow in Falaise! They were leaving Ireland after visiting their daughter who now leaves in Cork, in the same street as Kevin!  :shock:

So, after Cherbourg, we did our usual stop at St Mere l'Eglise for a bit of visiting, looking for cats and macaroons! And the usual stop at the boulangerie for more cakes and dessert for the diner!  :D

Hmmm, cakes!

We then headed to Ronan's house  :D
Order of the day was to finish my Pilatus B4. Thanks to John and his Vinyl cutting machine, he made some nice set of stickers to apply to the fuselage  :clap:
Group effort, good laugh and nice Apero! Holidays!  :D

And then, time to fill the cars for a very early drive to the Menez Hom (well, for some  :P  :P )

Fred

• Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
Le trip to Le Menez Hom
« Reply #96 on: May 20, 2013, 20:22:03 PM »
The meeting:
A few shots of the slope and the gliders. Bad quality, sorry! (phone camera  :oops: )

1/3 scale Habicht from Eric Perrot  :clap:

Ronan...  :P

JohnPearson

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Le trip to Le Menez Hom
« Reply #97 on: May 20, 2013, 20:48:27 PM »
O.k. more photos

Ronan and Fred formation landing

:wink:

Peter

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Le trip to Le Menez Hom
« Reply #98 on: May 20, 2013, 22:50:47 PM »
Wonderful pictures and videos - what a great collection of scale gliders.  Very impressive.  Like the colour scheme on Ronan's B4 - looks great.

Fred

• Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
Le trip to Le Menez Hom
« Reply #99 on: May 23, 2013, 13:16:43 PM »
More?

Ok, more!  :D

Something tells me that we will see a few more of these big orange things in the sky next year!  :P

The first apero at the campsite  :D

That ended up late in our mobile home  :mrgreen:

And after the visit of a few other pilots, time to go to bed.. For another day of flying!
With even more flying!
By the way, we were amongst the first ones at the slope (the guys before us were the ones who were sleeping on their campervan directly on the slope).8.30am start!
Slope was pretty much empty, good to test the machines for their first flight (like the Pilatus) or for setup (like the Crystal).

6m ASH26:

My Crystal in flight:

Fred

• Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
Le trip to Le Menez Hom
« Reply #100 on: May 23, 2013, 13:28:04 PM »

A mini ASW22. Cute!  :D

A 1/3 Lo100- Like mine, but with built up wings... Way lighter than mine! Sound like I'm going to do the same!  :D

Apero... At the slope this time!  :D

Then.. We had the "incident"  :P
Long story, but all fixed at Ronan's house. You guessed the one to blame!  :lol:  :P

Then, we did a bit of tourism, in Camaret  :D

Fred

• Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
Le trip to Le Menez Hom
« Reply #101 on: May 23, 2013, 13:33:13 PM »
And more flying!!

Pilatus performed flawlessly. Nice and easy machine (rudder cable fixed by the way. This time, put a 22kgs one...)

JP prepping the Fouga for a quick demo flight

Ronan...  :roll:

We went then for more tourism as we had a rain front coming towards us...
Photos later  :D

mario

• phpBB moderator
    • View Profile
Le trip to Le Menez Hom
« Reply #102 on: May 23, 2013, 18:46:02 PM »
quoi , un planeur orange l année prochaine :?:  :mrgreen:
on verra :wink:
si t as pas d amis, prends un curly

Fred

• Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
Le trip to Le Menez Hom
« Reply #103 on: May 23, 2013, 19:15:12 PM »
We know you want it!  :mrgreen:

mario

• phpBB moderator
    • View Profile
Le trip to Le Menez Hom
« Reply #104 on: May 23, 2013, 20:10:29 PM »
yesssssssss :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:
si t as pas d amis, prends un curly