Author Topic: Some new stuff...  (Read 9540 times)

Fred

• Slope Soaring is not a crime!
  • Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gliderireland.net
Some new stuff...
« on: August 27, 2014, 08:39:18 AM »
Alright, I'm back! :)

House work etc etc should be finished today, time to go back to this Internet thing!

I have made a few changes on the website, and especially on a new section that I called "Slope Locator"
You can find it here: http://www.gliderireland.net/index.php/slope-locator

The first map, is the one of the known slopes, that I have tried. I try to keep them up to date, but if you want to add yours, please send me the coordinates, comments, website etc, and I'll keep it updated.
There is also another part, where I put the photos I took of the slopes, GPS routing etc but still working on it (a few display issues, I try to get time to fix those). A version for Android should be available in the near future.

Second map is from our Paragliding friends, and is pretty cool, with live weather etc etc. Some are on the other one, but I guess a few need to be explored at some stage. So, Still work in progress, but getting there!

A few photos of our Impromtu week end here:

http://www.gliderireland.net/index.php/galleries/isr-july-2014

And the video of Sverrir visit / Fly in here: https://vimeo.com/100514985

That should keep you busy for at least an hour :)
Education is important, but flying RC planes and gliders is importanter!

rogallo

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Some new stuff...
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2014, 14:53:51 PM »
Have you anything for a rough sea crossing :-(
Spots or no Spots?
Tuff Choice.

Fred

• Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
Some new stuff...
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2014, 15:59:09 PM »
Oh yeah, actually was looking at the sea earlier, looked rough alright!

No, nothing! Stay outside as much as you can with something to read, then Sleep best thing to do.

Have fun!  :P

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Some new stuff...
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2014, 16:16:17 PM »
Right!,…that’s it…..I’m getting me an HD camera (with a view finder) and some HD editing software for use with Windows Vista. (Horrible system I know, but that‘s what I‘ve got. :roll: )

Lovely little video Fred, some wonderful images there. (Not too sure about sound tracks that have 5 minute intros though. Ha!….)

Beautiful pictures and some very graceful flying. (Pity the cameraman nearly got taken out by a polyhedral! :lol: ) Thanks for putting it all together for us to enjoy Fred. :clap:  :clap:

So when is the next Impromptu fly-in?

Nice idea about the slope locator Fred, look forward to seeing it when all finished.

Been missing you from the forum,

Love & kisses,
Keith. (Little)
Try not to run out of airspeed, altitude and ideas....... all at the same time.

Fred

• Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
Some new stuff...
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2014, 16:48:32 PM »
Thanks Keith, missed you too  :cry:
Life has been too busy to spend time on the interweb, but much better now.

Video courtesy of Sverrir! I just put the clips one after another. Sorry for the long intros, that's all I had on the PC, but that is some good old rare Pink Floyd  :D

Funny you talk about an HD camera, was looking at that yesterday!
I think I will do what Sverrir is doing and use a Digital SLR, as I also need a new camera to take photos... Have until Christmas to think about that, but seeing the quality of this video, sound like a very good option to me.
I need to go back into this filming thing.

Next flying is.. At the end of September  :P  Going to fly at Falaise on the 20/21, and I'm working almost all week ends between now and the 17th  :!:

selleri

• View Profile
Some new stuff...
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2014, 21:54:11 PM »
Looking good Fred!  :D

Yeah, that polyhedral was a real menace Keith!

For a nice camera(outside the dslr range) that also does video well I can recommend something like Canon PowerShot SX50. Though the Canon 70D I'm using gives usable video it really needs an lens with IS(image stabilisation) to be good straight from the camera, at +100mm, without needing the help off some software stabilisation later on.

As pictures are my main thing the 70D had the added bonus of the video feature for when I need it without going all out. What ever way you guys decided to go just make sure that the camera in question has a viewfinder as it makes the video taking so much easier(one flaw of the 70D, you have to use the LCD) but the next generation of DSLR from Canon is rumoured to sport a hybrid viewfinder to solve that.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 is also another camera well worth looking at, with f/2.8 through out its range(25-600mm).

Keith you might try looking at AVS Video Editor or PowerDirector but there is also an open source editing software, OpenShot, that I've been waiting to see arrive for Windows that *nix users have been giving good reviews. It should be released any day now.
Sverrir - Icelandic Volcano Yeti

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Some new stuff...
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2014, 00:11:44 AM »
Well that’s very interesting advise Sverrir. The Canon and the Panasonic look like smashing cameras although knowing me as I do, I doubt I’ll be spending 500euro on a camera that I’ll only use three or four times a year. I’m not a rich man like you. :D
I agree with you about the need for a viewfinder though. Preferably one with a soft eye cap to keep out all erroneous light.

As for Image Stabilisation; yeah, it’s a great invention. If your present camera doesn’t have it there are techniques for overcoming the problem of a ‘shaky camera’ without resulting to bulky tripods. They are a bit ‘off topic’ so if you want any info/ advise PM me and I’ll give you  the benefit of my years of experience working in the British Film Industry :lol:  (circa late 1960’s……. long before I.S. had been invented! :oops: )

Little (old) Keith

selleri

• View Profile
Some new stuff...
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2014, 00:18:09 AM »
I wish my 70D had cost €500! Sponsered by MasterCard and all that.  ;)

Send me an PM, always fun to learn new(old) tricks!   :clap:

Fred

• Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
Some new stuff...
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2014, 20:52:11 PM »
Very good, thanks for the info Sverrir  :clap:
Good point about image stabilisation...
Now, cost wise, that is why I would like to combine the 2 as in my head, might actually cost more to buy a decent camera for aerial photos, and a HD camcorder for some decent footages if you see what I mean.

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Some new stuff...
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2014, 22:11:30 PM »
Sounds to me like a Go-Pro camera would suit you Fred. :D  

Just thinking on about the subject of aerial videoing,…….. :?:

I think a video combining ground based shots, inter spliced with aerial to aerial shots of models in flight would be really cool.  8)

I tried last summer that but found the problem was that it’s incredibly difficult to align the shot from the camera plane to the target plane. Particularly when using gliders. (They bounce around too much!) It was a little easier when using powered models but even then all I ended up with were what you might call “passing shots” as the target model happened to pass through the aerial cameras’ field of view.

Most aerial videos only show endless long distance shots of aerial views, which are not very entertaining. In my opinion.

I think the only way to get decent aerial close ups is by using a remote controlled gimbal mounted camera on a stabilized quad-copter. But now you’re talking serious money. :!:

L.K.

selleri

• View Profile
Some new stuff...
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2014, 22:53:57 PM »
GoPro is too draggy(and expensive compared to other options), I'm using a Mobius camera for the onboards you've seen.

Though I don't think Fred is talking about onboard cameras Keith.

stephen.shannon

• View Profile
Some new stuff...
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2014, 00:16:08 AM »
Hi Fred, did you fly that slope up near Dundalk a while back? I don't see it on the map?.

Stephen
Our deepest fear is not that we are weak but that we are powerful beyond measure..... Marianne Williamson

Keith

• View Profile
Some new stuff...
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2014, 00:32:02 AM »
Yeah a few flew it Stephen .. But they haven't been back since ?? I don't think anyone liked it  :(

Fred

• Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
Some new stuff...
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2014, 07:56:23 AM »
No Gopro  [-(

As for on board footages, I can see the interrest in it when it is your plane/slope etc, but as a viewer, this is pretty much boring after 30 seconds (to me anyway).
Mixed with from the ground footage is much more interresting  :D

Stephen, yep, did not put that one. Haven't flown it.
There are a few that are not on the map yet that I have to add (like the ones in NI), but on a side note, I try to keep listed the slopes that are "worthy", in a sense that slopes you can fly bigish gliders, with a good landing area.

I will not list the slopes where you can only fly something like foamies etc, as there are litteraly hundreds of them pretty much anywhere if you see what I mean :)

If you have a slope to add, please let me know, with coordinates and pictures, and I add them  :D

jumbo

• View Profile
Some new stuff...
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2014, 10:41:21 AM »
Nice work on the map Fred, I am tempted to ask you to add some of the slopes around the cliffs of Howth but I lost a model there yesterday :( (don't worry its not your easy glider)