Author Topic: Sunday 19th july 2015  (Read 5333 times)

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Sunday 19th july 2015
« on: July 19, 2015, 18:38:52 PM »
So herself wanted to go to Kilkenny town, I wanted to go flying. We decided on a compromise. We'd drive up the Big L first, then on to Kilkenny for lunch! Seemed like a plan.

There were hundreds, and I mean hundreds, of bloody cyclists trying to cycle up the narrow twisty lane to Nine Stones car park. No sooner had we squeezed past one than we were stuck behind another. :evil: The car engine was getting hot, the clutch was getting hot, and I was getting hot and frustrated trying to get past all these slow, wobbling cyclists. I'm telling you lads, it was bloody dangerous.

Anyway, half an hour latter than anticipated we arrived at the west slope. There was a very slight 'nip' in the breeze that was coming from a little south of due west. Wind speed?...about 20 – 30 kph. With Mandy in the car I felt I could only take one model with us otherwise it becomes a little uncomfortable for the passenger, so the famous (or should that read infamous) Phase 6 was duly pressed into service.

You know, for all the knocks, scrapes and “repairs” she's had she still flys well. (The Phase 6 I mean.) With the sun high and behind me the little blue and white model put in a pretty good show for itself. She, (Mandy) even managed to take a couple of snaps for the record.

Here's the P6 coming in for a low pass,.......bless her.

And her she's coming in to land.......

After an hour or so the wind turned further to the south which made the flying that bit more difficult so the P6 was landed and packed away. 30 minutes or so later and we were eating lunch in a little restaurant near the centre of Kilkenny. After which we inspected the local retail establishments for such important items as shoes, handbags, floral dresses and anything else that might (or might not) get worn before being given to the charity shops on the basis that it's no longer in fashion. Well, it keeps them happy doesn't it!

So all in all, quite a satisfying day. Anyone else been up to anything this weekend?

Little Keith
Try not to run out of airspeed, altitude and ideas....... all at the same time.

billscottni

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nimsa.co.uk ; www.billscott.org.uk
Sunday 19th july 2015
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2015, 19:36:18 PM »
Northern Irelands Area Thermal champs today, won by Richard Boyd. :clap:  :clap:
Unfortunately this is only the SECOND event we've managed this year due to the weather  :cry:  :cry:

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Sunday 19th july 2015
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2015, 21:54:30 PM »
So well done Richard! :clap:  :clap:

Haven't heard from him in quite a while. I trust he is keeping well.

Yes, the weather has been pants this year hasn't it. At least you guys managed to get out today. We'll have to be grateful for any chance to fly this year. Something to do with the jet stream being too far south I'm told.
When the forecasters start talking about cumulus nimbus stratus I go a bit cross eyed. It all sounds Latin to me.

LK
Try not to run out of airspeed, altitude and ideas....... all at the same time.

Fred

• Slope Soaring is not a crime!
  • Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gliderireland.net
Sunday 19th july 2015
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2015, 08:26:39 AM »
Blame the Jet Stream! :)

Anyway, all that to say that I can't take this weather anymore!  :evil:  :cry:  :!:
Education is important, but flying RC planes and gliders is importanter!

billscottni

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nimsa.co.uk ; www.billscott.org.uk
Sunday 19th july 2015
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2015, 19:37:27 PM »
Richards doing fine. Got a dodgy knee giving him a lot of pain, so he sits to fly thermal  :?:

Think he's had a lot on this year, know he's been in Lithuania at least once.