Author Topic: my sebart shark is driving me nuts  (Read 7278 times)

wullie44

• View Profile
my sebart shark is driving me nuts
« on: March 08, 2010, 15:18:30 PM »
can anyone help me my sebart shark is driving me nuts i only got 23 paces on a range check then it goes haywire it was a hacker x40 speed controller thar was in it with a hacker 30L motor i swapped the speed controller over and it worked fine on the range check so i took it out today  and decided to range check it before it went up and only got 23 paces befor it went wonky...PLEASE CAN ANYONE HELP ME :cry:

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 17:27:28 PM »
Well Wullie,
To give any kind of useful diagnosis I’d really need a bit more information.

Assuming the speed controller work okay when you were closer to the model than 23 paces, but goes “wonky” when you are greater then 23 paces away the problem is clearly with the transmitter or receiver.
You seem to suggest that all worker fine at some time, but not when you took the model to the flying field.
What caused you to swap the speed controller over?
Do all the servos work properly at a distance of 23 paces?

I think the first possibility is that the Tx or Rx batteries might not be holding their voltages.
1/ Check to ensure that both batteries have the correct voltage.  (sometimes old batteries discharge themselves quite quickly.)
2/ Check that the receiver antenna has not moved and lodged itself in a position where it’s being shielded my something metallic, or close to carbon fibre material.
3/ Check that the connector from the speed controller to the rx is fully inserted and that the lead is not cracked or showing signs of fraying.

If the power system worked at one point, but isn’t working now then clearly something has changed. So it’s a case of find What! :!:

Good Luck

Keith
Try not to run out of airspeed, altitude and ideas....... all at the same time.

Fred

• Slope Soaring is not a crime!
  • Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gliderireland.net
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 19:10:00 PM »
Hi Wullie,

Welcome to the forum  :D
Have a Shark too, great plane !

As Keith say, and I add, keep the receiver as far as possible from the esc (on mine, receiver is at the wing root, esc, under the battery in the front), and of course, the good old trick to wrap your receiver in thin foil to avoid interferences with the esc  :D
Education is important, but flying RC planes and gliders is importanter!

joe

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.islandsloperebels.com
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2010, 19:58:38 PM »
Welcome to the forum Wullie.
If you have a standard 4cell receiver battery you could use that to power the receiver and servos while you do a range test. If the range is good then you know you have a problem with your ESC. If the range is still bad then the problem is your radio connection.

Joe