Author Topic: MACI National Event  (Read 59519 times)

Alan_Perse

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
MACI National Event
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2007, 13:30:08 PM »
Maybe it should just be run as a funfly for a few years and then later, if enough people are interested and we can get enough people to organise it, it could be run as a cometition.

Fred

• Slope Soaring is not a crime!
  • Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gliderireland.net
MACI National Event
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2007, 14:12:02 PM »
I agree with you Alan in one way, but the pb will certainly be the same in a few years.. I think, we'll need to go for it. It's a hobby, we are not here to make numbers. If people want to come and join, nice, we can have fun. If they don't want, well, the ones who are flying may certainly don't care anyway that there is 3 or 100 participants.
And the pb for the funfly will be the same.. If people are much more interrested in fun fly, and they are that easy to organise, why do we have only one every year ? (Cork Glide in).
So, I don't think the people interrest is a pb.
An event well advertised can make numbers if that's really what is needed.
And talking about competitions, I don't think hardcore competition, but more friendly one (ok ok, for now.. In a few years, when we will have lots of gliders guys, that may change !  :P )
That's why, I really think that we should go for it.. Whatever is happening. It's a hobby...
So, that's just my point of view of the thing, no offence to anyone.

Fred
Education is important, but flying RC planes and gliders is importanter!

rogallo

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
MACI National Event
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2007, 14:22:55 PM »
Okay how about a date? I was thinking the first week of June 2nd 3rd?
Killaloe,( Graves of the leinstermen)

Oh and unoffically there will be a flyin in Jackies club on the last weekend of June with Jackie driving the Tug for aerotows.

Ralph
Spots or no Spots?
Tuff Choice.

joe

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.islandsloperebels.com
MACI National Event
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2007, 18:47:42 PM »
Hiya Ralph.I've been following the thread but haven't had a chance to reply.Am away at the moment.
I understand that to have MACI support for a national competition that it needs to be run in an offical capacity i.e. judges/contest director(like aerobatic/scale comps) and thats a lot of work.
How about incorporating both comp and funfly in a national glider meeting?.
The main bulk of the event would be for people to come and fly and hang out and a portion of the day would be to display the competition categories in an fun/friendly comp.Promoting the competition element and encouraging people to get involved next year.All with a view to having an offical comp at some stage down the road.
The scale can be judged by the participants.I would be happy to help with the race timing/course as i'm sure others would too.
Lots of fun friendly comp stuff can be done too like combat,spot landing etc..but that the categories that are being promoted be given a definite time slot in the day.
What do ya think?

As far as the date is concerned.We (ISR) were going to plan a glide-in for that weekend june2-3.If that date makes the most sense for everyone, we can probably move ours to later in the summer.

Oh and where is jackies club? Sounds good!

rogallo

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
MACI National Event
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2007, 08:32:01 AM »
Joe,
   thanks for the reply, I have been trying to drum up support for "AN" event.
It can be a competition or a funfly. I am just trying to say "I am not doing all the work!" :cry:  I have run a copuple of events before and from past experience it requires a lot more people to run a competition than a funfly event. I have asked for helpers, judges, cd's to step forward and take up the challenge but alas (as usual) little or no response.
It is fine to say that the scale can be judged by flyers but there needs to be some sort of formal training as to what a 10 is and what a 6 is. Otherwise the competitors do not know what exactly the judge is looking for?
Thanks for the offer of help but I am looking for people to run each class. I am the glider sec (pressed ganged in to the job again!) and am suppose to coordinate and promote gliding, it is up to the greater unwashed, including all of us, to do this.
No simple answers, I think that more people need to be involved in this discussion but even with all the members here on this site I still think we do not have enough people to run the event.

Basically COMP'S ARE A BIG COMMITMENT!

Jack is based in Cork  :lol:
Spots or no Spots?
Tuff Choice.

joe

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
MACI National Event
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2007, 12:15:24 PM »
Think you are misunderstanding me a bit there Ralph.I was suggesting the categories are incorporated into the funfly.And run in a lose fashion.Surely someone who has built a vintage glider or even a modern artf can see how much work has gone into a glider and if they have to fly certain maneuvers for the fun-comp they can see if someone has flown those same maneuvers well.Plus it's just a bit of fun and if someone is a little vague in what is a 10 and what is a 5 not to worry.the point is to have the basis of a fun-comp so that is might encourage people to try it in the future!
Chances are we're not talking about large amounts of people here.Not sure how many were there last year.Even with twice that, it's not a lot of people for each category.
I'm sure it could be good and not a huge amount of work!

rogallo

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
MACI National Event
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2007, 12:31:54 PM »
Joe,
 I understand fully what you are saying, I just don't hear anyone saying "I will run the scale comp or the racing" just lots of I will help.
I know what you are saying and yes it does take a lot of work. Trust me I ran the nationals last year, 15 flyers and no one interested in competition.
Spots or no Spots?
Tuff Choice.

joe

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
MACI National Event
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2007, 12:38:27 PM »
Will get back to you Ralph.In the middle of something right now.

Fred

• Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
MACI National Event
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2007, 12:41:12 PM »
Hi guys,

a lot of I will help is still better than nothing.. So my I will help count for nothing ? Sorry, just taking the piss here...  :P

So, last year, no one was interrested in competition ?
Fair enough.. So, that mean that they all were interrested in fun fly so ?

And that's certainly why there is so many funfly in glider in Ireland, and when there is one, you only see the same bunch of guys (but we have fun !  :D )

I think, if you start to listen to people, nothing will be done.
Competition --> what for ?
Fun fly --> Do I have to drive ?
 and so on...

Organise something, advertise it, and people will come.

As I said, this is a hobby, so you (we) should go for it (competition / funfly etc tec) and that's it.
We (at least not me) are not here to make numbers in an event... If the MACI only see numbers, they don't have a clue what's going on, and that's certainly not the aim of a council !

rogallo

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
MACI National Event
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2007, 14:03:35 PM »
A lot of I will help is not better than nothing, because if there are no "Chiefs" the "Indians" won't know what to do!

Any one want to RUN a class?

Fred, this is not a MACI objection to running an event, as a matter of fact the MACI Chairman wants a competition, I am not willing to run one again as I have seen a general lack of interest.

I am saying and have been saying from the start, if you want a competition then run it. I will help to sort out the MACI red tape, judges etc, but we need firm commitment now from people.

As I said I have run comps, have been a CD, and was assistant event manager for the WC in 2001 and know that to run an event successfully you need lots of people.

I just dont want to be the person left organising the event. I would love to just arrive and participate for a change. :D
Spots or no Spots?
Tuff Choice.

rogallo

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
MACI National Event
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2007, 15:19:39 PM »
Anyhow, I am suggesting the 6th of May up in the graves for the "National event"

Does this suit?

Ralph
Spots or no Spots?
Tuff Choice.

Fred

• Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
MACI National Event
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2007, 08:32:43 AM »
Hi Ralph,

Around this date, Joe is waiting for a happy event  :D
Fine with me, but Joe might not be able to leave the house  :wink:

joe

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
MACI National Event
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2007, 17:09:14 PM »
Hiya Ralph.
Yeah as Fred said, my better half is expecting a baby about then.So i probably won't venture too far!
Not to worry! I'll make it next time!

Alan_Perse

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
MACI National Event
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2007, 17:50:11 PM »
:D  :D . Congratulations Joe. Now you will have someone extra to teach how to fly  :) (that is when you are not teaching other people in the club to Fly).

joe

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
MACI National Event
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2007, 18:41:21 PM »
Thanks very much Alan!  :D  :D
I'm not the only one in this club expecting  :wink: