Author Topic: It's not too big ?  (Read 7081 times)

kankrz

• View Profile
It's not too big ?
« on: April 20, 2007, 00:48:59 AM »
Hi all
About a year ago I bought in Germany acro model 'Super Star' 1.8m. Model was provided with petrol engine 1.6 (26cm). I have never flown this sort of model before but in my opinion the price was very attractive so I bought it.
I decided to improve my fly skills before I try to fly it. In the meantime I bought 2m Piper Cub for flying training. Manufacturer recommends glow engine .46 - 60. My question is : may I use this petrol engine for Piper ?  It is MVVS 26cm.
I heard opinion that it would be a perfect replacement but it was only one opinion. What do you think guys ?
Now, I have two sport engine models on my wardrobe and I am flying glider :(
Help :)

regards - Cris

Fred

• Slope Soaring is not a crime!
  • Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gliderireland.net
It's not too big ?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2007, 07:27:45 AM »
Hi Cris,

Well, I use to have a 2mtrs Piper.. But with a .60 . More than enough.

You can use your 26cc on the Piper, but in my opinion, that will be a bit too big for the structure.
But you can still do it, but you will need to have a proper look first if the plane can take this amount of power.
You can always reinforce the structure a bit, and most important the firewall, as, I guess this is RTF plane, they are generally not generous in glue on these places  :wink:
I will stick to a .60 or .70 myself as the plane might be too light for the 26cc.

After that, well, the throttle is a proportional channel !  :)
Education is important, but flying RC planes and gliders is importanter!