Author Topic: Combat scoring and format  (Read 12820 times)

garrykeogh

• View Profile
Combat scoring and format
« on: February 26, 2008, 10:05:52 AM »
Hi All,
I was just looking at the events planned for the annual get together and spotted the combat... Oh yeah baby... I am a dirty fighter :twisted:
I did notice that it is "Last Man Standing" format.  I haven't tried this but would suggest that if you are bludgened out of the air early on but in a repairable way, you will be disappointed spectator from then on :oops:

The only way that I have personally flown in formal combat was in Wales using a system of heats.  This format I guess would only really only work with a good number of entries.  Have a look at the setup below pasted from the Welsh guys website and let us all know what you all think.  Fred, I am not trying to steam roller over any plans, just to get some discussion going...

Brief explanation of the coarse and rules.

Flying Groups: As there will be quite a few pilots (current estimate is about 35 pilots) the total number will be split into two groups, group A and group B. Each group will take turns to fly their rounds, while group A flys, group B will do the scoring and visa versa. Each pilot will be paired with a scorer and you'll score for each other throughout the comp. Once a few rounds (to be decided on the day) have been flown the best of group A will fly against the best of group B to find the overall winner. If everyone is then up for it we can have an all at once round, if there's any flying models left by then ;-).

Models ready and repair time: Group A will fly first and group B's models must be ready to go straight after group A have finished. Once both groups have flown a round each there will be a 5 minute break to allow for damage repairs. If there is no need for the damage repair time the next round will start. We aim to get as many rounds in as possible.

Coarse markers: There will be a coarse marked out with flags and poles. Entrants will have to fly between the marked coarse and try to stay within an upper and lower height limit, keeping everyone in a set area will maximizes the hits :-). The coarse boundaries are only there for a guideline, you won't be penalised for flying outside of the coarse.

Flight line: There will also be a flight line marked out. If your model drifts or is hit towards the flight line, down your model, please don't fly over the flight line. If a model is hit over/behind the flight line this will be classed as a kill, please don't try to fly out back over the pilots, down your model and relaunch (we don't want anyone hit in the back of the head by a model flying back out through rotor).

Scoring: If any two models come in contact this is regarded as a hit (regardless of who initiated the hit) and both pilots will be awarded points. If one of these models goes down this becomes a kill and only the model still flying is rewarded points. If both models go down no points are scored by either pilot. How many points scored for hits and kills will be decided on the day during the pilots briefing.

Models: Any EPP model up to 50" can be used, Zagis, X-its, Wild Things are what's usually used. Models can be internally sparred but there must be no sharp or pointy Protrusions. Any balance weight including additional ballast must be internal, not taped on the outside.

Food for thought  :?:

And yes, a melee just for fun after the formal combat just to finish off the wounded airframes  :clap:

Garry

Fred

• Slope Soaring is not a crime!
  • Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gliderireland.net
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2008, 10:21:30 AM »
Hi Garry,
No problems at all ! All comments are more than welcome !  :D
I gave the last man standing thing as I don't expect a lot of people going to this meeting, appart the usuals ! (yep, so far, no one, yep, no one in Ireland confirm to participate to the fly-in...  :!:  When the guys from France, NI and Germany already booked but that's another debate !..) and from my own experience with combat events, when you are a few, a last man standing with several rounds (well, as long as you can fly) is more enjoyable, and you don't need to count. When you are only 5 or 6 (can dream he ?!) the rounds turn very quickly

But your input is a really good base and we can do that way as well, there is nothing closed, everything is open !  :D
What the other lads are thinking ? We can always do a mix and see what is working ? The second fly-in will use the best choice  :?:

And I'm in for the big melĂ©e ! Bring it on Dirty fighter !!  :lol:  :P

Banzaiiiiiii !!!
Education is important, but flying RC planes and gliders is importanter!

Fred

• Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2008, 10:27:49 AM »
And a few photos from the good old days !
Sorry for the really poor quality, these photos have at least 10 years old, taken with my first digital camera (A DC120  :D )

Alan_Perse

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2008, 12:51:10 PM »
That seems fine to me. By the way Garry were are you in that photo.

garrykeogh

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2008, 16:30:43 PM »
Hi Alan,
I am the guy holding up the hopelessly inadequate (oh no, more psychiatry bills :roll: ) little weasel pro on the extreme right.
In fact my weasel was written off twice that weekend including a comprehensive snow storm on it's maiden flight :cry:  when I was obliterated by a high speed skua I think.
What you see there is no longer an epp wing, it is two or three bottles of epoxy covered in GF packing tape, covered in vinyl, covered in GF packing tape 8)   No longer suitable for light lift, but punches above it's weight now :clap:

As you can see here, my weasel is one tough little weasel. . . broken wing, no problem. . . broken elevon, only a scratch 8)

In fact, the Weasel Pro's (from Richter RC in California) were fantastic in the conditions and had the advantage of being light (little inertia if they get a bit of a jab) but that can have it's drawbacks if you find yourself at the wrong end of a good uppercut :oops:

All of the Irish can be identified by the little Weaners (damn, there I go again) I mean Weasels :cry:

Garry

IceWind

• View Profile
    • http://icewind.no.sapo.pt
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2008, 11:01:39 AM »
Those weasel are really nasty planes! :) And quite fast.
Make some in coroplast and go get them! :)
Also i think you can trick the judges have several in your bag all looking the same and just switch without them noticing!  8)
..Nando

Arthur89777

• View Profile
Re: Combat scoring and format
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2016, 11:21:21 AM »
Hello.
I have seen this topic for first timeand never knew for this type of combat. But once I had seen the video wjth the real dogfight))))) There were about twenty planes simultaneously in the air. It was looking like a bees' group)))))
I'm sorry for that I don't know some words, cause I'm from Russia.

Fred

• Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2016, 20:41:18 PM »
Hello, and welcome :)

Good to hear from modelers from Russia :) (and I believe we have one or two in Ireland :) )
Yeah, combat is a lot of fun. These photos were taken a very long time ago, in France, when we used to do combat. Great great fun I have to say :)

Simon

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2016, 09:51:47 AM »
cool images of combat soaring.