Author Topic: ME 109 EPP  (Read 16421 times)

Sean

• View Profile
ME 109 EPP
« on: May 28, 2008, 21:31:01 PM »
Well I chucked it off my mountain this afternoon, and despite not having flown in a very long time, and never without a screaming engine, it flew!!!!!
Well kinda.

This is my first model glider and first model in a very long time. I know i should have built an easyglider but the war birds just looked so cool.
The kit was a pleasure to build, even if i never flew it. Plumbed it up with an Hitec Optic 6, glad i didn't spend loads of money, it does everthing i could need.

EPP behaved as hoped! With no assistance i kept chucking the 109 off the mountain, gliding further after each chuck. No black bag full of balsa pieces!

Very impressed with the first flights, it flew true and level enough for me to launch with one hand and the tx in the other hand!! Can't be bad.

Couldn't get it to gain height, but the wind was light and i had avoided the really big drops for the first attempt. Kinda dropped out of the sky when i went to turn! Put some diff on the airlerons, maybe a bit more weight in the nose, but definitely more wind and practice.

I know this would all be easier if i got someone to take me true the basics, but hey i was finished early from work, the gale had died down and i could see the top of the mountain??? Chuck it and see what happens !

I'm happy out, so Thanks Fred for a cool kit and radio, but most especially all the help. I'll keep practicing and see you on a slope soon ( when i get tired of running down the slope after 30 seconds! ).

Seán
With all these mountains I\'ve got to master this Dark side thingey!

Fred

• Slope Soaring is not a crime!
  • Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gliderireland.net
ME 109 EPP
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2008, 20:18:33 PM »
Hi Seán,

Very happy you like the glider and that all went well for you !  :D  :clap:

Begining again with a warbird, it's a first and EPP is a good choice in this case !  :P  Flying, but with style !  :P  8)
Really looking forward to meet you with the "beast" at the slope now !
By the way, any photos ??  :D  :D  :?:

Did you put the "Flaperons" option ? On light wind, put both ailerons down 3 or 4 mm, and that will glide even better and slower ! Or during your flight, you will take the lifts much better !

So, again, congratulations on the maiden flight !  :clap:  :clap:

And don't forget the photos !!  :D  :P

Fred
Education is important, but flying RC planes and gliders is importanter!

Sean

• View Profile
ME 109 EPP
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2008, 20:34:54 PM »
Will sort out a few photos soon. It's a sort of a 'stand off further' scale finish! No doubting what plane it's meant to be!
Had to fit the flaperon version, as i spent 2 weeks just playing with the radio. Lets just say 30/40 mm of flap definitely doesn't work! ( you never know! ). Was very concious that you slowed your P51 down a lot, and got huge lift with the flaps, so i did try the flap option on my first outing.
Forecast for the weekend is light winds, but fresh sea breezes, so will probably find it hard to resist, finding a sand dune????
Better take the pic before i ditch in salt water!!!
 :)  :)  :)

Sean

• View Profile
ME 109 EPP
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2008, 14:41:17 PM »
Well Fred,
I still testing the epp crash resistance, so it's time to check what sort of elevator and airleron throws you used on your P51. I'm getting very little airleron response at either of my rates, so i want to check the throws before i add more weight to the nose. While my CG is as per the instructions, i'm suspiscious the model appears tail heavy in flight, hence my lack of airleron response. :!:
Still amazed with the epp, i smile everytime i thump  :D , (which is frequently at the moment ) run down the mountain and try again.

Seán

garrykeogh

• View Profile
ME 109 EPP
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2008, 23:55:58 PM »
Hi Sean,
I am a little curious to find out how you get on with the Me109?  I promised to take one from Fred the next time I know that we are going to meet up.  I was keen on one anyway but then saw the P51 go and my mind was made up :roll:
There are three of us who fly a bit around North Wicklow and we have decided to go for the P51, the Me109 and the Hurricane for some WWII action!
Where abouts in Wikkla are you from?  I am sure we could get to fly together?  I had a family picnic on Monday over the lake at Lugala and of course I brought a couple of models, but the wind up there (plenty of it) was pure east!  In despiration, we went for a "drive" to Wicklow town and ventured out onto Wicklow head by the lightouse where lift is always good in an east wind... no wind to speak of, only a few little gusts from the south :shock:  :shock:  :shock:

I will have to meet up with Fred to get that kit :?:

Talk to you soon

Garry

Sean

• View Profile
ME 109 EPP
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2008, 09:02:20 AM »
Hi Gary,
I'm based in Arklow, so I'm surrounded by mountains and high sand dunes. My skill level doesn't allow me test near the sea at present, the whole salt water and people thing. 'My Mountain' at present is Croghan, the big one at Arklow for most of my trials. No expert but it looks as if it can generate lift in wind directions west thru to south. There are few potential spots for easterly. Have plenty of trail blazing to do to check out all the other ridges around here, finding the access thru the forest is half the fun.
I better do a load more practice before i go meet a full battle squad of warbirds.

Seán :!:

garrykeogh

• View Profile
ME 109 EPP
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2008, 14:47:48 PM »
Hey Sean,
I wouldn't be worried by our skill levels!  We may be very experienced but that doesn't imply that we are in any way skilled :oops:

Anyway, we can coach you along nicely and encourage you generally unTIL WE BLUDGEN YOU TO DEATH  :twisted: Oops, contain yourself Garry, sorry for the outburst... ahem!

We must get together some time.  Weather looks a bit vague for gliding this weekend with slack winds and no real direction.  Arklow is only 20 mins from home for me, I live in Kilpedder on the N11.

Talk to you soon

Garry

Sean

• View Profile
ME 109 EPP
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2008, 22:19:42 PM »
Trial Picture, at last

Fred

• Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
ME 109 EPP
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2008, 09:44:13 AM »
:shock:  :shock:  Wow Sean, this machine is looking really good !  :clap:  :clap:

Can't remember how you did the covering  :?:  Is that tape ? A bigger photo ?

IceWind

• View Profile
    • http://icewind.no.sapo.pt
ME 109 EPP
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2008, 12:42:21 PM »
HEY!
Great painting scheme! :) Looks great!
That must create some impact if you use it for combat.
..Nando

Sean

• View Profile
ME 109 EPP
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2008, 16:25:59 PM »
Thats as big a picture as i think the forum will let me upload.
The fancy paint job, is sticky vinyl, silver gaffer tape and black insulating tape!!!!! Cheap, cheerful, available in the local hardware, tough, but a probably a bit heavy.
Any suggestions on airleron throw?

Ice-man,
I have to keep it up in the air before i let other people try to knock it down!

Regards

Seán

IceWind

• View Profile
ME 109 EPP
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2008, 17:45:46 PM »
:)
I really have to try that sometime too.
The closest i had was being around 10 in a slope and me and my litle epp wing. And someone say "Hey let's try to knock that little wing down!" :)

And some nasty x-it's and other big ones tried to followed me poor wind.

Until i said: "I have motor and prop and i'm not afraid to use it!"

I know it's not fair but that was the way to "scare" the evil wings.

Nando
..Nando

Alan_Perse

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
ME 109 EPP
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2008, 18:43:04 PM »
Nice job Sean  :clap:  :clap: .
In relation to the picture, the maxium size picture you can upload is 550x412. Your picture is only 206x154 in size.

Fred

• Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
ME 109 EPP
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2008, 18:52:35 PM »
Hi guys,

Fernando, anytime for a fight with your wing ! NO FEAR !!!!  BANZAIIIII !!!  :D  :D

Alan, max size is 550x550 pix, no weight (bits) limitations. But keep them light, think of the guys without fast connection. Sean, if you send me by mail the original photo, I'll put it on the forum bigger (tips, you can use Photophiltre software, free, and do almost everything like photoshop !  :wink: )

IceWind

• View Profile
ME 109 EPP
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2008, 20:43:27 PM »
:D

I think i prefer to get a WWII fighter also! To get in the mood.

Nando
..Nando