Author Topic: Voltage rating for deans connectors  (Read 3749 times)

stephen.shannon

• View Profile
Voltage rating for deans connectors
« on: April 07, 2014, 23:01:10 PM »
Hi All,

I was swapping over a heavy bullet connection on a 14.4v battery to a deans connector tonight and the thought occurred to me that I was clear on the voltage rating of either connector. Has anyone any specs on these?

Stephen
Our deepest fear is not that we are weak but that we are powerful beyond measure..... Marianne Williamson

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2014, 07:45:47 AM »
I’ve never seen any voltage spec for Deans plugs either Stephen. I would have thought they would be good up to 40 - 50volts or there abouts. I use Deans on for a 6 cell li-po (22.2volts) powered model and never had a problem.

The critical figure is normally the current carrying capacity rather than the voltage ability. If the plug has it’s leads soldered correctly to it, but starts getting warm during operation then you’d need to fit ‘heavier’ plugs.

L. Keith
Try not to run out of airspeed, altitude and ideas....... all at the same time.

stephen.shannon

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2014, 13:22:01 PM »
Thanks Keith, it seems from what I can find on line that the deans are spec'd for up to 68A continuous, whereas the bullet connector are up to 90A. I'd be more mindful of the cable diameter at 90A than the connectors.

It's an important question to ask as you can run into some serious trouble with fire if things get to hot.... probably more to do with powered models but a question to ask none the less.
Our deepest fear is not that we are weak but that we are powerful beyond measure..... Marianne Williamson