Author Topic: First Scratch Build Foamie.  (Read 6118 times)

davegrennan

• View Profile
    • http://www.webtreatz.com
First Scratch Build Foamie.
« on: June 12, 2014, 22:11:20 PM »
Here's some pics of my very first scratch build.  A mustang based on free plans from here;
http://www.flyingpenguinrc.com/p51-main.html
It was straighforward enough to build.  I would like to do better on the canopy next time but for now this will do me. All the control surfaces seem to work well including the landing flaps. I put a 1200kv outrunner in it.  For now it has one of those Orange RX with satellite.  I hear bad things about these so I'll replace that at some point.  Haven't tried to fly it yet and wont until I have a proper club membership and can do so at an approved site.  A little big for the park methinks. Only took me a couple of nights and I wont mind too much if I thrash it as long as I learn from the experience.  The decals were interesting.  I found that you can get inket printable vinyl which is adhesive on one side.  However I doesn;t like getting even the slightest bit damp as the ink runs all over the place.  SO what I did was tried it through a laminator.  Turns out that after laminating, the backing paper is unaffected and peels off perfectly, leaving  a lovely shiny decal which is now laminated on the outside and self adhesive on the inside!

johnfireball

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2014, 23:53:02 PM »
Hi Dave,
           There's a really good spot up the Dublin hills where I fly electric foamies. Usually good in the evenings when the wind drops. If interested I can guide you to foam eden.
John.
I have the body of an 18 year old.........I keep it in the freezer

stephen.shannon

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2014, 20:18:32 PM »
Nice one Dave, fair play, looking good
Our deepest fear is not that we are weak but that we are powerful beyond measure..... Marianne Williamson