Author Topic: Quality, Cost, Features?  (Read 4986 times)

stephen.shannon

• View Profile
Quality, Cost, Features?
« on: August 07, 2014, 22:37:40 PM »
What's your opinion on the products you buy from you're favourite purveyers of RC modelling gear? Specifically around cost vs quality vs features? Having been a newbie to the hobby in recent years I know that the likes of hobbyking has been a life saver in terms of allowing me with a limited start off budget to still enjoy flying.

But I've been researching some models and such over recent months and it struck me that the level of choice is vast in any number of areas be it radio gear, servos, batteries, and even model kits.

So are you a person who will only stick with Futaba for example or servos of a particular brand? Or do you go for the cheapest you can find and that does the job? Do you believe, "buy cheap buy twice" philosophy or do you focus on quality or features over cost?
Our deepest fear is not that we are weak but that we are powerful beyond measure..... Marianne Williamson

alibodin

• View Profile
Quality, Cost, Features?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2014, 22:59:35 PM »
I tend to buy Hitec servos as they have been good for me, and Multiplex Receivers and transmitters. Recently bought some cheaper servos than the Hitec and they were not as good. So Hitec from now on for servos for me.

AListair

rogallo

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Quality, Cost, Features?
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2014, 08:18:50 AM »
Hobbyking offers great value. HXT14MG is my mini mg servo of choice. I would say ask here each time you are looking for a specific piece of gear and let the comments flow.

Good luck

Ralph
Spots or no Spots?
Tuff Choice.

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Quality, Cost, Features?
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2014, 19:16:54 PM »
We all learn different things as we each walk our path through life. I remember using some ‘cheap’ equipment when I started out in aeromodeling on the basis that if the equipment failed it wouldn’t cost much to replace. However when an elevator servo failed on a model that was airborne at the time, it cost me the price of the model. Not so cheap! :cry:

Ever since then I’ve used Hitec servos like Alistair. I do use some cheap batteries, but I keep an eye on their parameters each time I cycle them,….If they start looking weak I throw them out. (I’m still using some I bought from Ireland Models 8 years ago, and they were cheap ones) Only ever bought two Tx’s. An entry level Futaba which I kept for about a year, and my present Futaba one, now 7 years old. Never had any problem with either one. (OOOooo, that’s not true actually. One of them, can’t remember which one, developed a dry joint on one of the trim controls.)

So I guess the safest thing is to buy ‘quality’ gear. Or buy the cheaper items if you’re prepared to take the risk. I don’t think there's a “Black & White” answer to your point Stephen.

L. Keith
Try not to run out of airspeed, altitude and ideas....... all at the same time.

stephen.shannon

• View Profile
Quality, Cost, Features?
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2014, 23:58:45 PM »
Good replies thanks, I know there's no cut a dried answer here, but exploring peoples motivations for certain gear is interesting. I'm flying a WOT4 in my club in Ballivor at the moment, I've converted it from an IC engine to electric. I bght it from a chap for €50 as he'd crashed it and was gutted and had no interest in repairing it, he went cheap on his gear and wrecked a model because of it.

Anyway it's flying well for me and I'm learning the ropes of powered flight.

If others have any input please feel free to add in comments
Our deepest fear is not that we are weak but that we are powerful beyond measure..... Marianne Williamson

Fred

• Slope Soaring is not a crime!
  • Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gliderireland.net
Quality, Cost, Features?
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2014, 08:52:40 AM »
Catching up!

Interresting discussion! When we first imported the Corona receivers in Ireland with Joe, I did a test at the slope. Too cheap to be true, so I had to try!
I setup my radio in test mode, and walked as far as I could with the receiver, the cheapo one, and the most expensive one I had at the time, a Graupner SMC20 (200 euros receiver...).
Well, the SMC was glitching way before the Corona!

This is the one on my ASW15, never had a single glitch with it, whatever the number of pilots in 35 around, and how far or high I fly!
Pretty much all my gliders use these Corona receivers, and never had an issue.
Same can be said for the Assan 2.4ghz system, as I have a few friend using them on huge machines without a single issue (they were 10 euros receivers at the time! On  2000euros+ machines! Talk about faith).

For the servos, the only failure I had from one, was with an expensive one. Might be unlucky, but I use cheapo HK stuff without any problems, but I run them all on the servo tester for 30 minutes or so before putting them on a glider now. And I stick to the one I tried and tested.

So I guess, it is pretty much a hit or miss thing, were you can get very lucky, or unlucky, whatever the cost of the equipment, but I think that saying that the more money you put in something will guarantee you the best, is not necessarily true these days.
Education is important, but flying RC planes and gliders is importanter!