Author Topic: Wicklow Head (East - North East)  (Read 9078 times)

garrykeogh

• View Profile
Wicklow Head (East - North East)
« on: September 26, 2007, 18:05:19 PM »
I think I have mentioned Wicklow head before on this forum but may as well put it here now that you have gone to the trouble to create this spot :clap:

If you travel throught the main street in wicklow town heading south and follow the road out past the gaol (how the locals like to spell jail!).  This road is signposted "Brittas Bay" and takes you out past Wicklow Golf Club.  Not far after the Golf Club there is a public car park on the left, then a very sharp right-left chicane on the road.  Slow down after this as about 150m further out this road you will see a red 5 bar gate on the left.  It is marked "Commissioners of Irish Lights" and says that there is no public access.  This is a popular walking spot and there is never an issue with access.  Total distance is < 2km from Wicklow Main Street.

You can drive right out to the lighthouse (over 2 or 3 cattle grids) and park just outside the gate of the lighthouse compound.  Lift (as with any coastal site in my experience) is unfeasibly smooth and is good in all wind strengths once the wind is from the East.

If the wind is slightly North of East, you can launch at a sort of nook just at the last sharp bend in this access road, around half-way between the last cattle grid and the lighthouse.  The lift can be quite good here and we have done plenty of combat and general flying here.

Hope this is of some help :)

Garry

Fred

• Slope Soaring is not a crime!
  • Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gliderireland.net
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2007, 22:00:01 PM »
Thanks a lot Garry for the input !  :D
I think I flew here in the first few months after I arrived in Ireland  :?:  Did not knew that was a "popular" spot ...
Do you have any photos of the slope ?
Education is important, but flying RC planes and gliders is importanter!

garrykeogh

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2007, 15:09:05 PM »
Hi Fred,
I know this tells you nothin' about the slope, but they are good pics from a bit of informal combat from late 2005.

Conor & Brian Buckley

Me, Neill Agnew, Bob Finley, Brian & Conor Buckley "Doin' Combat"

For your info, the machines are all "Weasel Pro's" from Richter R/C in California.  These are a bit more fragile in a 1 to 1 confrontation than a fully taped up Zagi or Phoenix Odessi (and DON'T ask me how I know!!!!) but are absolutely amazing aircraft.  We ballast them up to about 100-120grammes I guess on the CG for heavy winds.  They will stay up on  a breath of lift, will not tip stall due to the airfoils used but go absolutely ballistic with the lead fitted on a good day!  Fly better than most anything I have tried without a tail... :clap:

Garry

cvanscho

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2007, 22:47:52 PM »
Garry - looks great there!  The pics were from 2005 - are things still as active now?

Chris