Author Topic: Slopes in Monaghan area  (Read 14834 times)

Oeshy

• View Profile
Slopes in Monaghan area
« on: October 18, 2014, 10:44:47 AM »
Hi all, I'm new to Ireland (just moved from Durban in South Africa) and I'm living in the Monaghan area. Do you know of any good slopes in the area and any active pilots? Thank you 😃👍
Sean Oellermann

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Slopes in Monaghan area
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2014, 11:53:41 AM »
Hi Oeshy,
 I’m afraid I don’t know any slopes very near you. :?:  I’m in Wexford so I don’t get up to your part of the woods very often.

A regular contributor to this forum, "JP" lives in Armagh. He might know of some.

So what models have you flown before moving to Ireland? Do you have any slope soarers at this time?

Little Keith
Try not to run out of airspeed, altitude and ideas....... all at the same time.

Fred

• Slope Soaring is not a crime!
  • Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gliderireland.net
Slopes in Monaghan area
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2014, 15:51:17 PM »
Hi there,

Welcome to the forum, and in Ireland!  :D

I don't know anybody from your area, but as Keith said, the closest I can think of from you, is Armagh in NI. Contact John here on the forum, he might be able to help.

As for slopes, the closest I could find, are in Slieve Gullion (not to be confounded with Slieve Gallion, more North to you.

Saw them on the "Slope Locator" (http://gliderireland.net/index.php/slope-locator ), but never tried or been there  :(
You also have the MACI website (http://www.maci.ie ) just in case if you haven't checked yet, but nothing I can see in your area.

And next time you are in Dublin, let me know, happy to show you around, and the slopes here :)

Fred
Education is important, but flying RC planes and gliders is importanter!

Oeshy

• View Profile
Slopes in Monaghan area
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2014, 00:02:55 AM »
Hi guys,

Thank you for getting backto me

I'm a bit of an RC nut so have flown everything from heli's, quad's, fun fliers, pylon racers but my main focus has been on F3, F5J, DLG's and of course slope (a little paragliding thrown in too). In Durban from where I come from there are about 30 - 50 slope pilots (some addicted and doing DSing to the more casual pilots). We planned several events a year with the main fly away a pilgrimage to Capetown. For thermal we had about 20 pilots in my area and had a provincial and national event every year.

I'm sending over my X-Pro F3J plane but the rest I have to leave behind. I've had a multitude of planes over the years. For a while I was doing aerial video for a few TV show's using a JR heli before these new quads came out.

I've attached a few pics. Look forward to flying with you :D :D :D

Sean aka Oeshy  :)  :)  :)
Sean Oellermann

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Slopes in Monaghan area
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2014, 10:01:29 AM »
Well, very interesting Sean. Nice to see some pics from other parts of the globe. :D  Pretty impressive! You seem considerably involved in the world of model aviation, both powered and silent. I wonder how you will find flying in the rather different climatic conditions of Ireland. I find that, during the winter months, a high degree of thermal resilience is needed. :wink:

Er,………….just one question :?: ……In the picture of  the combat wings, what is the little fella in the background on the extreme left of the photo doing!? :oops:

Little Keith

Oeshy

• View Profile
Slopes in Monaghan area
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2014, 10:05:07 AM »
Hopefully not peeing into the wind 😱💦!!! Lol
Sean Oellermann

JohnPearson

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Slopes in Monaghan area
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2014, 22:30:17 PM »
Hi Oeshy

As fred has mentioned, I would be the closest to you location, living just outside Armagh, which is about 30mins form Monaghan town centre.

A group of slope pilots from the local model club, are meeting this Sunday at Flagstaff mountain, just outside Newry on the M1 motorway. If you are interested in coming to this meeting, I can meet you at the carpark of the Carrickdale hotel just of the M1 motorway. At the moment the weather forcast is not good, therefore I will post on Saturday evening, if the event is going ahead, and if so, what time to meet up, If you have any questions you can contact me on 07745458755.

johnp

JohnPearson

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Slopes in Monaghan area
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2014, 22:50:09 PM »
OK weather looks fair for tomorrow but cold with  big winds, so some of us are meeting at 12 - 12.30 pm in the carrickdale hotel carpark, then meeting the rest of the pilots, on the mountain.

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Slopes in Monaghan area
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2014, 05:14:48 AM »
Ooo, Big Winds!!! Very satisfying. :D

I suffer with that sometimes myself. (Even the dog gets up and walks out of the room :oops: )

Have a good time lads, hope you have fast reaction times today!  Oh, and post us some pictures please.

L. Keith

billscottni

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nimsa.co.uk ; www.billscott.org.uk
Slopes in Monaghan area
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2014, 20:24:08 PM »
Big windss Keith, but TOO big and too much moisture along with them. Most of th etime hilltop was in cloud with occasional breaks.

Matthew Poots and Dave Nolan "braved" the conditions and tried to fly, Matthew even getting agricultural and gaffer taping a rock to his CG to try and aid penetration. Still couldn't really penetrate, so we adjourned to Newry for coffee & a bun!

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Slopes in Monaghan area
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2014, 23:09:25 PM »
Bummer! Conditions down here weren’t any better Bill. Low cloud & periodic drizzle. Hope the coffee was hot, and you only ate ONE bun! :lol:

billscottni

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nimsa.co.uk ; www.billscott.org.uk
Slopes in Monaghan area
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2014, 23:18:22 PM »
Coffee was hot, toastie was luke warm!

Fred

• Slope Soaring is not a crime!
  • Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gliderireland.net
Slopes in Monaghan area
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2014, 12:29:43 PM »
Same here, low clouds  :!:
Spent time in workshop, so not all lost!  :D
Education is important, but flying RC planes and gliders is importanter!