Author Topic: Mini Graphite from Vladimir Models  (Read 6782 times)

selleri

• View Profile
Mini Graphite from Vladimir Models
« on: November 23, 2014, 02:08:51 AM »
Before going on my "Euro-tour" this spring I made arrangements to aquire a Mini Graphite from Vladimir Models via FVK in Germany. Couple of the flying mates over here have them and talk highly about them and as I like to "cheat" getting an electric version was a plus.  :wink:

Although designed and put on the market ~10 years ago neither the design or material layup is outdated. Carbon and kevlar in the right places and minimal amount of paint giving a very light airframe. The wing uses the well tested MH32 profile and has flaps for some added fun. As it was designed as a pure glider space is a bit tight with the electric setup. The battery takes up much of the space in the narrow fuselage though it wouldn't be bad on its own but I'm using a seperate Rx pack so that takes up some room that would otherwise be free.

The maiden went well and no surprises, it's very agile and a pleasure to fly. It can move and move fast it does but with full butterfly it slows right down and descends vertically. Bring on a good slope day!

Strange as it may be there isn't much online about the MG, build or fly, for a plane that handles this well I'm a bit puzzled about that!

One of my mates flying his MG on these videos

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/v/6YqIURnUTZA[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/v/el-b_Ydvtc4[/youtube]
Sverrir - Icelandic Volcano Yeti

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2014, 08:09:12 AM »
Well done on the new addition Sverrir. :clap:  It’s a sweet looking model. I have to say that I too have come round to the idea of having at least one Hybrid (powered)  glider in my collection. Although at Five Hundred euro for a 1.9mtr model the M.G. is a little too heavy for my pockets.

I see from the spec that it is possible to fit a 4S 2.2amp/hour battery into the fuse. You don’t say what size battery you are using, so I’m wondering A) what size battery are you using? and B) why you are using a separate rx/servo battery? (May be the supplied speed controller doesn’t have a BEC :shock: )

So why wait for a slope soaring day? With a prop and large battery, surely everyday is a flying day! :P  (Well,…almost everyday)

BTW I’m very impressed with your English grammar Sverrir. It’s coming along very nicely. "Carbon and kevlar in the right places and minimal amount of paint giving a very light airframe."
Rather eloquently put my friend. You’ll be writing like an Englishman before too long :lol:

L. Keith
Try not to run out of airspeed, altitude and ideas....... all at the same time.

selleri

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2014, 10:41:29 AM »
Hmmm, it was €360 earlier this year(~300 without vat, currently at €380), not easy on the wallet but worth it. HK motor and controller keeps the price down, along with Dymond servos.

3S 1800mah and that is about as wide as as can be fitted IMHO, maybe the 4S is with 2x 2S packs. The controller does have BEC(disabled) but with 6 servos and a hefty price tag I'll take all the insurance I can get.
Not waiting for a slope day as it has had two outings already but I'm looking forward to fly something faster than the wing and Phoenix 2000. :-)
I'm having daylight problems at the moment, only flyable ~11:30-16:00, and it gets shorter until winter solstice!

Quote from: "Happy Days"
BTW I’m very impressed with your English grammar Sverrir. It’s coming along very nicely. "Carbon and kevlar in the right places and minimal amount of paint giving a very light airframe."
Rather eloquently put my friend. You’ll be writing like an Englishman before too long :lol:

Cheers, small wonder with the company I keep on my trips!  ;-)

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2014, 17:07:36 PM »
Quote from: "selleri"
The controller does have BEC(disabled) but with 6 servos and a hefty price tag I'll take all the insurance I can get.

Not too sure what you mean there Sverrir. :?:  The BEC will keep pumping out current to the rx /servos long after the L.V.C. has stopped supplying the motor.
Try not to run out of airspeed, altitude and ideas....... all at the same time.

selleri

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2014, 17:09:03 PM »
Not if something goes wrong with it!    :lol:

Fred

• Slope Soaring is not a crime!
  • Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gliderireland.net
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2014, 11:43:26 AM »
Nice one Sverrir!  :clap:
Education is important, but flying RC planes and gliders is importanter!