Author Topic: FRsky V8R4 binding problem  (Read 10593 times)

EI1638

• View Profile
FRsky V8R4 binding problem
« on: January 18, 2015, 23:23:24 PM »
Hi guys,

Been binding some receivers to my FrSky V8HT module. No problems with V87R receivers, but I can't seem to get the V8R4 (parkflyer) receiver to bind.

I've tried google and nothing that I've come across works.

I've double checked the instructions and the transmitter module and receiver are supposed to be compatible.

Any suggestions?

Chris

selleri

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2015, 03:09:12 AM »
So what happens, does the red light stay solid or does it blink on the Rx?
Sverrir - Icelandic Volcano Yeti

Fred

• Slope Soaring is not a crime!
  • Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gliderireland.net
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2015, 08:52:24 AM »
Hey Chris,

Strangely enough, A while back, I had the same issue with a V8R4 receiver.
I did put that down to compatibility at the time, and never tried again...

I give it a shot tonight again, and come back to you, but just to confirm, never worked for me.

All other receivers are fine, just the 4ch ones.
Education is important, but flying RC planes and gliders is importanter!

EI1638

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2015, 09:44:13 AM »
OK.

1) Transmitter bind mode - rapidly flashing red LED on TX
2) Power on rx with FS button pressed, flashing red LED, not as rapid as the tx flashes but fast enough
3) Power everything down
4) tx on
5) rx on: slow red flashes, never goes to green

When I was binding the V8R7 receivers during the binding process the rx and tx LEDs seemed to flash at the same rate, while the V8R4 II doesn't seem to do that.

My oldtimers is kicking in, but I reckon I did the transmitter conversion about 3 years ago.

The receiver 'manual' says that the V8R4 II is compatible with V8FT, V8JT and V8HT transmitter modules.

selleri

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2015, 09:50:16 AM »
Is that model memory set to PCM rather than PPM?

Also as you are most likely doing it indoors you could try moving outside and away from structures and big metal objects and try again there.
Sverrir - Icelandic Volcano Yeti

EI1638

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2015, 13:32:37 PM »
Back again,

Just checked, yes the transmitter module is indeed the V8HT.
It appears to be one of the later ones as there is what I assume to be the schottky diode heatshrunk into the signal wire.

The transmitter is a 12 year old Futaba T6EXA (my first 'modern' transmitter, my previous one was a 27 MHz Skyleader), so it doesn't have the luxury of anything other than PCM

The only large piece of metal anyway close to where I was working was a radiator. It was perhaps 1 metre away, but against that interfering I had just a few minutes previously, in exactly the same location, bound a V8R7 receiver.

I suspect there is a compatibility issue of some sort as I did see something  about the Taranis transmitter not binding to 'older' V87R receivers, which does make me wonder a bit.

Can't say I fancy buying a Taranis just to get these receivers working...

EI1638

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2015, 20:54:19 PM »
According to FRSKY it should work:

"The V8HT module is compatible with V-II series receivers, please try to bind it in V8 mode again."

Time for some lateral thinking juice whilst i read over the 'manual' again. Maybe I'll find some inspiration then.

I find that a good single malt helps enormously with the lateral thinking process :D

Chris

EI1638

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2015, 22:55:21 PM »
I've given up. Tried again far away from any possible sources of interference and no joy.

Looks like I've got some items for the bring and buy!

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2015, 07:52:02 AM »
Oh, never mind Chris,…don’t cry.( :cry:  ) You have to be philosophical these days. Look at it this way. Today Rx and Tx’s are much cheaper than they used to be so despite your losses on this occasion overall you’re probably “Quids-in.” :D

BTW, just changing the subject ever so slightly :roll: ………Looking at your avatar are you a ’Mud Waller’? :shock:   One of these guys that deliberatly takes you Land Rover off road? I’ve been thinking of trying that with my Series 3. :lol:

Little Keith
Try not to run out of airspeed, altitude and ideas....... all at the same time.

EI1638

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2015, 21:59:39 PM »
Unless you count my mother in laws (drive to the back of beyond and then keep going), the real answer is no. The tyres on this one don't get too muddy. The suspension and load area get a work out at the mother in laws though.

I was never part of the mud walling/green laneing scene, but my previous wheels (LR Discovery) used to get a lot muddier than this one, for various reasons. Came close to looking for someone with a big tractor and a long rope a few times with it. It even used to double up as a 4* hotel on occassion.

Mind you, all I've really ever needed was the extra ground clearance, but still, the wiggly levers do have their uses.

The attraction is the ability to carry 'stuff' pretty much anywhere. Don't get the opportunities to do that much anymore now that I have responsibilities.
Hopefully when my 'responsibilities' get a bit older I can get back to carrying 'stuff' to out of the way places, might even throw a glider or two in whenever that happens, and maybe my 'responsibilities' can participate at that stage.

The other thing is that it's actually fun to drive. Most cars that I've driven/travelled in are pretty bland in comparison. Comfort is boring!
Driving a landie takes a bit of effort, acceleration is a challenge and it rarely follows a 'line' in a corner (only when I've lost grip on all 4 wheels, and the line is a straight one)

The avatar is a happy co-incidence, I was looking for a photo of one online, that popped up, and it just happened to look a lot like mine.

As for the radio gear, yes, I know you're right, but it still grates.

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2015, 07:33:27 AM »
Ah, sure you’re a great disappointment to me Chris, :(  but I agree with what you say. L.R. owners are a class apart from other motorists. (Bit like glider pilots :wink: )

One of my sons came out to stay with us recently and asked to drive mine. As he climbed into the cab he muttered something about it “Being like something out of the second world war.” He drove it around some rough woodland near our place but couldn’t understanding what the three wiggly leavers did. :?  Nor did he know which of the twelve gears he was in at any one time. :?:   I kept telling him it didn’t matter what gear he was in,….if he wanted to go faster (faster being a relative term for L.R’s of course) change up a gear, and if he needed more torque then change down, or change down again, or again, or again, ect.

For all their short comings though, certainly the older L.R’s  have one very considerable advantage over all ‘modern’ vehicles. Spare parts are cheap! Couple of years ago I completely rebuilt the engine of mine, (New pistons, bearings, valves, rockers, gaskets, seals, timing chain, sprockets ect.) The whole engine cost me less than 1000 Euro. Mine you, on frosty mornings it still needs loads of pre-heat to start, and has a max speed of two miles a fortnight. But when you get to my age,………. I’m in no hurry. :lol:

Shame about the radio gear Chris, but what’s the cost of a couple of rx’s to a man of your means?! :wink:

L. Keith
Try not to run out of airspeed, altitude and ideas....... all at the same time.

EI1638

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2015, 11:53:34 AM »
Keith,

Even relatively 'new' used landies are quite cheap to run. From recent conversations that's in comparison with quite normal (bland) family cars.

Mine does around 30 mpg mixed cycle, which is not too shabby for something that size. Continuous motorway (i.e. not in ireland) that rises to close to 40, which is quite impressive in my opinion.

Chris.

PS: We'd better stop talking landies and start talking FrSky receivers or the moderator'll be on to us for off topic posting. Sorry Fred.