Author Topic: New Drone Register  (Read 6696 times)

Alan_Perse

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
New Drone Register
« on: November 09, 2015, 14:16:00 PM »
Hi all.
Just read an article in the Irish Times about the Irish aviation authority setting up a register for drones in Ireland. What caught my attention was this sentence "Every drone or remotely piloted aircraft (RPA) over one kilo in weight would be required to sign up, with the legislation also applying to model aircraft"
Does anyone know what impact this will have on us. Most of my gliders are over a one kilo in weight.

Fred

• Slope Soaring is not a crime!
  • Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gliderireland.net
New Drone Register
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2015, 15:07:24 PM »
Hi Alan,

Gliders up to 7Kgs don't have too. Does not make any sense to me, but this is the current rule. They are basically talking about being a MACI member (or other recognised authority by the IAA).

We also have a 300m restriction in the horizontal flight! No good to us.

Unfortunately, the text goes on tomorrow. Only be notified of a MACI vote or say yesterday...

The most worrying part, is that as defined by the IAA, ALL unmanned aircraft ("drones", helis, planes, gliders etc) are now classified as "drones" with their broad definition.

So, If you crash your "drone", aka quadcopter, in the Aviva during a game, they will possibly "ban" the drones (or at least, stop them to fly for xxx days/weeks/months etc).
But because we are now all drones by definition, that will affect everybody else!

Let's see if that can be tweaked or amended...

Frome page 2: ‘Drone’ shall mean an aircraft without a human pilot on board, whose flight is controlled either
autonomously or under the remote control of a pilot on the ground or in another vehicle;

But that englobe the definition of unmanned aircraft in the same document (Page 3)

They do mention both definitions in all articles, so we can think the difference of operation is made. But the definition of "drones" is apparently not specific enough not to be badly interpreted (and it certainly will in case of issues. It's not from me, it's from the colleague who is a lawyer who read the text and understand these things :) )

Ah well, in essence, I don't think this will change a lot for us, but the day there is an issue, we might see big troubles heading our way.

The full text:

https://www.iaa.ie/media/SmallUnmannedAircraft(Drones)andRocketsOrder,ConsultationDocument1.pdf
Education is important, but flying RC planes and gliders is importanter!

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
New Drone Register
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2015, 16:33:54 PM »
Yes, this is an interesting one isn't it guys. I think this has been coming for a long time.

I can't think of any way of defining a model plane as not being a “Drone”, unless model gliders were exempted by virtue of being defined as non-powered. (Although this would exclude powered gliders of course.)

However, as you've suggested Fred, that would mean that our cousins flying helie's or any powered model would be classified as flying 'drones.'

I'm thinking that the answer will come in the form of enforcement! Or should I say stricter enforcement. So that anyone found not flying with proper insurance is fined heavily. (I'm sure the media could sell that story a few times.)

Maybe also ensuring that anyone who flys a 'drone' (however that might be defined) should be 'licence to do so.” Perhaps there is a place here for MACI to be responsible for “testing” pilots abilities before issuing a licence to them to fly any powered, (or maybe) non powered flying aerial devise, unless accompanied by a licenced pilot. In much the same way as people who use Amateur Radio equipment have to pass exams and become licence as proficient radio operators.

We all enjoy the benefits of modern life. Perhaps with those benefits come responsibilities, and the need to change the way things have been done in the past. I think we must be prepared for changes gentlemen,......whether we want them, or not. :?:

Keith, who is in a very thoughtful mood today :?:
Try not to run out of airspeed, altitude and ideas....... all at the same time.

Fred

• Slope Soaring is not a crime!
  • Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gliderireland.net
New Drone Register
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2015, 19:31:39 PM »
Howdy Keith,

Looks like the term "drone" will have a much clearer clarification, so as RC Model aircraft etc, so we may have a good line between the 2 "categories" if we can say things like this.

Also, misread the document, we all have a height limitation of 120m AGL (400Feets) so that is pretty much a show stopper if we were to organise anything "serious" like aerotowing, F3J etc. Even F3I (release is at 100m, but you have to go up for duration!)

So, as I said above, no much changes for us, pretty much business as usual... So far! But don't mark my words!

As for the max altitude, I swear I never go higher than 120m!  :?  :roll:

Thanks to Liam Broderick, the man for all Drony things :)
Education is important, but flying RC planes and gliders is importanter!

Alan_Perse

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
New Drone Register
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2015, 22:09:22 PM »
Thanks for the info Fred :D

Adrian14MZ

• View Profile
Have you seen this.
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2015, 22:58:09 PM »
Fly Futaba every time.