Author Topic: Aermacchi PSS project  (Read 70717 times)

Fred

• Slope Soaring is not a crime!
  • Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gliderireland.net
Aermacchi PSS project
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2012, 11:45:20 AM »
Hi Ray,

Welcome to the forum  :clap:
An honor to have you with us!  :clap:  :clap:

So, how was this week end?
Sorry could not come with JP as I had some family commitments to attend to  :cry:

JP, where are the photos??  :P  :P
Education is important, but flying RC planes and gliders is importanter!

JohnPearson

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Aermacchi PSS project
« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2012, 14:08:02 PM »
Hi Guys

Great weekend Fred, a big welcome from the PSSA lads made it even more special. I have all the pics and will post them up tonight!

Ray welcome to the forum, it was fantastic to meet you and your lovely wife, and may I say that your model are just wonderful, pity the wind did not play ball on Sunday, was looking forward to seeing them fly.

O.k, report coming soon, here is a photo of Ray and some of the local pilots with the M339 and the Magisters.

The original Pss jets designed by Ray Jones, which Islandmodels will be adding to there sport scale range of model gliders.

the Pope

• View Profile
Aermacchi PSS project
« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2012, 16:49:21 PM »
ohh, what a brilliant team

waiting for the pics...
melon et melèche............

Alan_Perse

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Aermacchi PSS project
« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2012, 18:46:33 PM »
Quote from: "JohnPearson"
The original Pss jets designed by Ray Jones, which Islandmodels will be adding to there sport scale range of model gliders.

Will that include the Magister John?

JohnPearson

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Aermacchi PSS project
« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2012, 19:09:58 PM »
Hi Alan
Yes the Magister will be available soon!

Timbo

• View Profile
Hi
« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2012, 19:26:41 PM »
Another Taff here - although Dad was born and raised in Lisburn :-)
Great to meet you at the weekend John, pity that Saturday was the only good day of the two. Ive emailed you about the foam cutter wire tension thingy....Tim Mackey
Brushes are for floors

Ray Jones (Taff)

• View Profile
    • http://www.clwydsoaring.co.uk
PSS
« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2012, 21:25:25 PM »
Thanks Fred it's pleasure to be part of the forum i sincerley hope to see some you you guys 'over the water next year and of course you are welcome here in Wales at any time ,it was a also great to meet up with JP and chat we din'n fly but we made up for that with a good old 'chin wag' happy landings ,Ray  :)

Hawk172

• View Profile
Aermacchi PSS project
« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2013, 23:21:02 PM »
Just a few pics from my Island Models Aermacchi MB-339 build, which I'm hoping to have finished in time for the October PSSA Event on the Great Orme, Llandudno!

All the major construction work is complete, I've made a few minor mods to improve robustness and scale profile but basically it's a stock build from what is an excellent kit.

The veneered foam wing is effectively complete, here covered in antique Solartex ready for paint...

Wing root detail showing servo bays and vac formed air intake mouldings in place.

Underside of wing showing the large ply load spreader I've added for the wing bolt...

Wing tip pods are all complete, ready for paint - retained with little magnets on the tips and on a former inside the pods...

I've cut the moulded fin back a little on chord and added a (fixed) balsa rudder with a revised profile to obtain a more scale profile...

At the back I've added a scale jet pipe...

Hawk172

• View Profile
Aermacchi PSS project
« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2013, 23:24:51 PM »

I've fitted a 1/2 depth cockpit bathtub, enabling a little more scale detail to be added soon...

This shows the underside of the cockpit floor, the forward wing mount former and the servo mounts for the elevator - fus is of excellent quality!

Pilot ready to go - just needs an office detailing now!!

I've strengthened the wing bolt mount using 1/2" hardwood rails which extend along the inner fus walls fore and aft of the mount plate.

Ill add more pics as I make more progress over the next couple of weeks.

Hawk172

• View Profile
Aermacchi PSS project
« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2013, 07:53:46 AM »
I'm finishing the model in the new 'low vis' colourscheme of the Peruvian Air Force, don't think that's been seen before on the slope so nice to have something a bit different!

(Photo courtesy of Airliners.net - Sergio De La Puente)

John Pearson has been a massive help here and has been good enough to supply me with all the decals beautifully tailored for this scheme, a combo of waterslide and cut vinyl - according to John these will now be made available for future kit sales if you too fancy this scheme!

JohnPearson

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Aermacchi PSS project
« Reply #40 on: September 22, 2013, 22:40:40 PM »
Hi Phil

Good to see that the MB-339A build is coming along well. You can really add alot of scale detail to this model if you wish, I look forward to seeing the model with some cockpit detail, also, should look great and with the Peru colour scheme and the new peru decal set, I expect this MB-339a to turn a few heads on the slope next season.

Now that I am slowly working my way through the order list for MB-339a kits, I have also put together a selection of other decal sets of various examples from air forces around the world.

Sets available at present for the MB-339a

Two display teams, the Frecce Tricolori and the new Golden Knights.

Two Italian training squardon sets are available.

The UAE desert colour scheme

This is an Australian training scheme for the MB-326, but can be used with the MB-339a

And of course the new Peru low viz and red roundel scheme.

The customer can request a particular scheme when ordering their kit.

I intend to add a few more schemes later next year.

Fred

• Slope Soaring is not a crime!
  • Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gliderireland.net
Aermacchi PSS project
« Reply #41 on: September 24, 2013, 13:47:21 PM »
Hi Phil,

Looking great so far!!  :clap:  :clap:
Really looking forward to the finished product!
Education is important, but flying RC planes and gliders is importanter!

Hawk172

• View Profile
Aermacchi PSS project
« Reply #42 on: October 06, 2013, 11:41:24 AM »
So with just a week to go until the final 2013 PSSA Event on the Orme its been all hands on deck regarding the Macchi completion, a lot of late nights after a full days work in the office has got the airframe to this stage - complete ready for paint this weekend during daylight.

Ive added a bit of detail to the office - I had intended to fit the canopy before spraying but my chosen canopy adhesive takes 24 hrs to set hard and I ran out of time... it was essential I sprayed the model this weekend in good light - so all this stuff needs careful masking now and Ill add the canopy and paint that by hand later in the week...

Ive spent some time clearing the garage of all other models and converted it into a little home spray booth with some polythene sheets... and then the fun begins!!!

This is the base coat for the Peruvian AF scheme, a darker blue will be added later today - Im just having a break from the fumes as I upload this post now... :-)

JohnPearson

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Aermacchi PSS project
« Reply #43 on: October 08, 2013, 00:14:55 AM »
Very nice work Phil, looking forward to getting a close look at the model over the weekend. The cockpit looks fantastic.

See you on Saturday

JP

Hawk172

• View Profile
Aermacchi PSS project
« Reply #44 on: October 08, 2013, 00:28:48 AM »
Thanks John, the model has gone together very well, Im pleased with the overall finish, just got to finish the paint job now - tonight Ive glued the canopy on firm, it takes a while to set, so its all taped and clamped... now we wait...

Will soon be adding the decals and bringing the model to life!!