Author Topic: Annother Islandmodels 1/3 Scale Ka8b build log  (Read 27656 times)

johnfireball

• View Profile
Re: Annother Islandmodels 1/3 Scale Ka8b build log
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2017, 00:45:52 AM »
Loverly , What paint did you use in the finish? looks sprayed.

John.
I have the body of an 18 year old.........I keep it in the freezer

Spanner

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2017, 18:03:37 PM »
Hi John
Yes it is sprayed, I used cellulose paint as it is easy to rectify mistakes. It took 2 coats of primer on the fuss and 1 on the wings and 4 coats of yellow and could probably take another but I don't want to keep adding weight, the red only required 2 coats to get a reasonable finish. I am happy with the  finish considering that this is the first time I have used a spray gun.

Joe

Fred

• Slope Soaring is not a crime!
  • Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gliderireland.net
« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2017, 09:21:26 AM »
Fantastic Joe! That finish looks great (I envy you, I am useless when it comes to paint gliders :( )

Looking forward to see it!
Education is important, but flying RC planes and gliders is importanter!

Spanner

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2017, 00:43:51 AM »
Hi All
Thanks for the positive and encouraging comments, I have attached a couple more photos taken last Saturday on Mt Leinster unfortunately practically no wind so first flight had to be postponed.
On Sunday there was 20 - 25 mph wind and I eventually built up the courage to assemble the model and launch. It was a heart thumping affair launching 18 months of work into the air in these winds but thankfully I need not have been concerned, the model zoomed slightly on launch but with a couple of clicks of down trim it was away from the lip of the slope and soring slowly and gracefully aloft. I flew the model for about 15 - 20 minutes getting used to the feel of the controls and checking the operation of the airbrakes. In the strong lift this glider just wanted to keep climbing I tried the airbrakes and they slowed the glider down and it slowly started to loose height there was no trim change with the brakes deployed and when retracted the model just picked up normal cruising speed and started to climb again.
It took me 4 -5 attempts to eventually get the model on the ground as the approach was along the top of the slope before finally turning into wind to land. There was little room to fly down wind without flying over the road or wooded area behind the landing zone  and I was not comfortable flying the model low and close to either on my first flight with her. The model was very stable throughout the flight and despite being landed with too much airspeed and bouncing about 3 times it survived and I decided that I would settle for that one successful flight on the day.  Hopefully someone will post some photos of her soon.
I am looking forward to getting it into the air again soon and having many more enjoyable flights.

Thanks Fred for producing an easily built model that is nice and stable, easy to fly and is also reasonably priced.

Spanner

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2017, 01:35:30 AM »
Ooop's
Forgot to load attachments

Nhalyn

• Where is gone my thermal ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2017, 08:40:18 AM »
congratulations !!!!
I'm impatient to be at Mt Leinstner in two weeks with my father and his Ka8b also !

Should we be prepared for a massive flight of all Ka8b on the slope ?  :-*
"Flying is just the time between take-off and crash"

Fred

• Slope Soaring is not a crime!
  • Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gliderireland.net
« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2017, 21:17:03 PM »
Oh yes oh yes!  :-* :-*

Many thanks Joe for your kind words, but you did all the hard work!
You can be proud of you Ka8, definitively a show stopper! Incredible building skills!
I wish you lots of flying with your new toy, and already looking forward to see it in the air again!

Education is important, but flying RC planes and gliders is importanter!

mick a

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2017, 23:13:44 PM »
looks great joe
will have to come over there one-day and fly the mt