Author Topic: phase 6 test flight  (Read 46272 times)

luke

• View Profile
phase 6 test flight
« on: October 04, 2008, 15:52:58 PM »
flew my phase 6 for the first time last weekend, even though the final weight came to 31/4 lb weight.
thinking that she would fly in nothing less than a gale i flung her off ito a steady 5/6 mhp breeze and guess what she flew lovely, was pleasantly supprised, elevator was a little twitchy . landing however was  hair raising
jeez she comes in fast !!!!!  i just couldnt bleed off enough speed to land her  so i just jept going back farther and farther and eventually i was able to bleed off enough speed to land her, even though i think she was starting to go into the sink !   i have only one servo driving the ailerons so i have adjusted the ailerons in a slight droop to try and slow her.
cant wait for the next flight  :D

IceWind

• View Profile
    • http://icewind.no.sapo.pt
phase 6 test flight
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2008, 14:27:04 PM »
That is great! Way to go!
Wasn't it possible to get two servos for the ailerons so you could use some mixing like airbrakes?

And share some photos of the plane! :)
..Nando

Fred

• Slope Soaring is not a crime!
  • Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gliderireland.net
phase 6 test flight
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2008, 09:57:52 AM »
Hi Luke,

Same here, congratulation on the maiden flight !  :clap:  :clap:
Education is important, but flying RC planes and gliders is importanter!

luke

• View Profile
phase 6
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2008, 17:12:07 PM »
thanks ice , thanks fred. i could have put an extra servo but i just wanted to have it as simple as possible, anyway had another flight this afternoon,just back ,im getting the hang of landing , the elevator is a good break :D  
if used with a little caution, (wing drop)
no im very pleased with it, she can do the light stuff too 4-6 mph but it really depends on the quality of the slope
ive tried to put a pic up of it already, it says its too big even though it is 640x480

Fred

• Slope Soaring is not a crime!
  • Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gliderireland.net
phase 6 test flight
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2008, 18:21:05 PM »
Hi Luke,

Sound good !
Looks like you have a machine to fly almost "every day" !  :D  

For the photos, the size limit is 600x600 pix max.
I use photofiltre to resize my photos, great tool and free to download  :D
Education is important, but flying RC planes and gliders is importanter!

luke

• View Profile
phase 6 test flight
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2008, 21:08:18 PM »
i think so fred ,i trimmed her out properly there today and as i said im getting to grips with landing something so slick as the phase 6 without airbreaks, but the phase 6 will definitely be a soft site machine,
me jp bullet is the ultimate all terrain flier, god bless epp  :lol:
thanks for the tip on resizing photos fred
here`s my girl

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
phase 6 test flight
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2008, 04:45:06 AM »
Corrrrrr! it looks similar to Joe's JART. :D  Can it break the sound barrier as well?

K.
Try not to run out of airspeed, altitude and ideas....... all at the same time.

luke

• View Profile
phase 6 test flight
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2008, 11:24:00 AM »
:lol:    yeah shes prettty slick alright, sorry bout the rubber bands  :oops: , just seemed a better option im still learning her little ways
this is the ship it all started off on, shes my fly anywhere ship
the jperkins bullet
ugly but fun :lol:

IceWind

• View Profile
    • http://icewind.no.sapo.pt
phase 6 test flight
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2008, 12:31:01 PM »
Nice!
Just love the smile on the wing! :)

Is that EPP covered with tape?
..Nando

luke

• View Profile
phase 6 test flight
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2008, 15:24:37 PM »
yep, its an E.P.P fuse and wing lightly sanded (for better adhesion of the tape) then covered with crossweave tape ,i put coloured packing tape on the wings just to make it a bit more visable. i also gave the packing tape a touch of a warm iron just to make it stick better, its still on  :D
but if your keen to fly something that can handle a prang or two, and your not too fussy bout the look, this or a flying wing is one way of getting started

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
phase 6 test flight
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2008, 20:50:16 PM »
Yea, I'll say 'Amen' to that Luke. Thank god for EPP. Marvellous stuff. (and cheap too!)

K.

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
phase 6 test flight
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2008, 17:05:42 PM »
Hey Luke,.........

Looking at the picture of your Phase 6 I see you've "Banded" the wings on. ( Good idea I'd say :clap: )
But how have you managed to fit the dowls through the fuse' and avoid the wooden elevator control rod  :?:

I've got the same problem right now in my build. So,........how did you do it? :?

Keith

luke

• View Profile
dowels on phase 6
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2009, 20:27:06 PM »
well keith,
sorry bout being so slow with a reply havent been on line in ages, i didnt bother with the timber push rods, i just uses ordinary wire rods with extra formers down along for suppoort (thats another reason why she took so much lead to balance her  :oops: ) what i did then was to put an extra triangular plate of lite ply to act as a doubler to the front of where the wing sits , why did i do this ???? becouse after my first flight i came in a little hard with one wing down and tore out the plate foe the nylon bolt. so i reckond that sticking in dowels and using rubber bands would be better (theres a little play on them enough to soak up a bad landing, takes from the appearance  though

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
phase 6 test flight
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2009, 22:59:34 PM »
Well many thanks for all that info Luke.

Anticipating the problems you spoke of vis heavy landings I too have put in extra doublers. In fact I've put them throughout the whole of the front section and back to just behind the wing saddle area. I've also reinforced the floor of the nose and lined the whole front section with a layer of glass. I figured that rather than use lead as ballast I might as well use the reinforcing as ballast. (I did think of calling this model "Bomb Proof" A friend said he thought  'Nuke Proof might be better :lol:  My wife recons no model is Keith Proof ...........she says I break everything I fly!)
(She's not very understanding!:roll: )

Left with the problem of how to get the banding dowels through the fuse, and past the wooden elevator control rod, I've used parts of the original metal aileron control rods instead of wooden dowels (I've fitted servo's in the wings to operate the ailerons.)
Being smaller diameter than wooden dowels I can just get the metal rods through the fuse, beneath the saddle doubler, and over the top of the elevator control rod. It's all a bit of a tight squeeze, but so far I can't see any reason why it wont all work. :?:

So thanks again for coming back to me Luke. I've just finished covering the tail feathers so it shouldn't be long before it's time to maiden her.  :)  
Watch this space, I'll keep you posted.

Keith

luke

• View Profile
phase 6 test flight
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2009, 13:55:40 PM »
no problem keith , i dont know if this helps but when i was mounting the servos i put them as far forward as possible (past the wing seat, and as low down to the floor as possible) i find that i go through phases like that aswel (cant keep anything in the air but it passes) good luck with finishig and test flying it keith,
ill keep an eye out for the report
tell me how  you find the elevator response