Author Topic: Bending brass sheet  (Read 2680 times)

Peter

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Bending brass sheet
« on: November 23, 2020, 20:41:21 PM »
Anyone any advice on bending brass sheet for a strut point. One right angle bend is easy in the vice, but I need to bend it a second time just 4mm away from the first bend.

rogallo

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Re: Bending brass sheet
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2020, 09:09:35 AM »
Peter ,
     I used to make tinplate tanks for control line models and used a wooden block and hammer.  Maybe if you had someone mill a negative in steel or the like for the final bend and tap with a hammer.

Otherwise if you win the lotto https://www.proxxon.com/en/micromot/27200.php

Sorry I know what I am trying to say and I only hope you can too!

Best of luck

Ralph
Spots or no Spots?
Tuff Choice.

Flamingo Flier

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2020, 09:17:13 AM »
Hi Peter.
I think the way to do this is to make both bends at the same time. A joggling tool is used to form an offset like this for joining sheet metal for car bodywork and the like. It is a pliers like tool with opposing steps in each jaw.
You should be able to set up a couple of pieces of steel in a vice ideally equal in thickness to the required offset. Put one plate on each jaw with the brass sheet in front of one and behind the other. As you tighten the vise the joggle will appear. A bit of trial and error to determine the necessary gap between the pieces of steel may be necessary. More difficult to explain than to do. I can do a sketch if you need it 
Jim

Peter

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2020, 20:17:50 PM »
Thanks you two. Makes sense to try and do it in one step not two as I was trying to do.  That's given me some ideas.  Speaking of control line tanks reminds me of a Scimitar model I made over 40 years ago - it was a lovely model but only went a few circuits before the engine cut out.  I had made the mistake of installing the fuel tank upside down and the centrifugal force quickly starved the engine of fuel!