Author Topic: Nova: New concept of High Performance R/C micro Sailplane  (Read 1435 times)

kazaklisglider

• Magic Soaring...
    • View Profile
Nova: New concept of High Performance R/C micro Sailplane
« on: November 14, 2021, 17:50:07 PM »
Hello from sunshine Greece,

Presenting the Micro Nova which is my new high performance R/C micro sailplane… the name is aptly suited as this model features a number of novel concepts both in aerodynamic design and composite structure/ molding techniques… it’s the end result of more than a year of development with specially produced tooling and molds to accurately materialize its highly refined airframe.
Many of you have already seen in eBay my successful Micro Wing Kit, the Nova is loosely based on this wing by using the same core but with a different composite structure and molding methods to produce not only a high strength to weight ratio but more importantly a unique wing surface treatment best suited to the low Re number region it operates.

The fuse and tail group are designed to perfectly match this new wing so the combined result is an efficient micro glider with a new level of performance for a model of the sub-meter soaring class… this is not just a dedicated micro Dlg thermal glider but a multi role high performance mini sailplane with a wide speed range to rival models of much larger wingspans.
With a Nova you have the benefits of a true micro size model (easy transport/lower cost investment and of course cuteness!) that can circle tightly in diminutive thermals but also enjoy exciting flights on your local micro slopes, on windier days it penetrates and can excitingly speed up without the need of ballast so can exploit bigger slopes and thus opening a wide range of useful flying sites… at higher speeds it is stable with good tracking and recovery on fast turns.

On light to medium lift It offers a very good climb rate and can sky out on a strong core at an alarming rate so care must be exercised to keep the model at visual limits, my color scheme is very effective to help recognize its position at altitude and distance flying… it’s true that the basic role of a micro glider is to fly rather close and exploit small bubbles /mini slopes but it’s a welcomed asset and real confidence builder to know your model can penetrate and cover distance when coming home from downwind thermals.

My initial design concept was to offer good performance over a wide range of speeds and this has been achieved as in the air it handles and feels at your controls more like a scaled down multi task sailplane rather than a small ordinary glider… smooth and responsive without the nervous/twitchy behavior many small models exhibit, its maneuverability and response to rudder will surprise even experienced pilots… not having ailerons will rarely being noticed when flying your Nova.

Despite being user friendly to fly it is definitely not for beginners as I have developed the Nova to offer high performance for advanced to expert level pilots who have long ago passed the stage of flying balsa/foil covered trainer or intermediate type micro gliders… it also requires certain experience on handling epoxy resin/glass cloth as the wing panels are supplied separate and need joining which is a relatively easy task but not for a total beginner to execute correctly. 

Radio gear installation is well thought out and despite its small size the fuse has enough room to easily fit a wide range of servos/Rx/1s Lipos… however care and patience must be exercised to result a precise and slop free control installation ensuring tight response and precise interface between your stick commands and control surfaces… this is crucial so you can be able to exploit its true performance potential to the fullest.   
The challenge of accurately building and flying performance oriented R/C micro gliders has been my true passion ever since a teenager… with more than four decades of modeling experience (mostly in sailplanes) the time has come to materialize this long time passion… My past six years were successfully devoted to the very demanding F5J competitive flying scene but now have decided to dedicate this collective construction/piloting experience to finally design and limited production a new line of exciting micro R/C sailplanes… The Nova is dedicated to all of you who share the same true passion for micro gliders.

Basic Specs:
-Wingspan:  858mm/33.8inch
- Fuselage length: 401.5mm / 15.8inch
- Wing Area: 6.26 sq.DM / 97 sq. inch / 0.67 sq. Feet
- Aspect ratio: 11.75
- Airfoil sections:  Custom designed/optimized for specific AR and Re number
- Wing tip: Acute angle cut or optional CF micro winglet
- Airframe finished/complete weight: 80-90gr/2.82-3.17oz (including pushrods/accessories etc)
- AUW range: 115-130gr/4.05-4.58oz (depending on R/C equipment and ballast used)
- Wing Loading range: 18.3-20.8gr/SqDm/ 6 -6.8 oz/SqFt

Special Features:
- Wing:
Core high strength XPS/precision machine cut
- Fine surface sanded /specially primed before layup
- High strength to weight ratio/torsionaly stiff structure
- Multilayered true monocoque stressed skin glass layup/ very thin but strong CF trailing edge
- Seamless smooth leading edge/highly accurate wing surface
- Novel drag reducing concept of Micro Raster surface treatment
- Aspect ratio and airfoils designed/optimized for the low Re number operational region
- Efficient elliptical dihedral/ optional micro winglets
- Fuse easy mounting with single central bolt/rear CF locating pin
- Color layers are beneath the epoxy/glass surface, totally scratchless and fade proof

Fuselage:
- Multilayered glass/CF reinforced/ high strength/zero bending
- Smooth low drag finishes surface/Seamless mold joint line
- Detachable nose pod with inner mating ring/no slop accurate slip fit
- Horizontal pod keel /composite glass-balsa core/high strength-low weight
- Easy radio installation entirely on pod keel
- Specially prepared/end machined CF tube pushrods with steel wire ends/DDPP European quality
- CF micro horns/accurately predrilled to receive pushrod steel wire ends
- Accurately pre-slotted fuse rear mount for fin/stab automatic alignment
- Wing mount pre drilled for wing bolt/receiving nut installed

Tail group:
- Contest grade balsa with 24h laminating epoxy treatment
- High strength/low weight
- Pre slotted stab/fin for accurate alignment
- Circular special hinges/slots ready made
- Elevator/rudder ready slotted for CF horns

All model parts are completely finished- quality painted in the following color choices:
-Yellow-blue / Red-black / Orange-blue / White-blue / Violet-black

Materials used for production:
What I have really learned through my many years of building models is the outmost importance of quality materials so the best model in the world is only as good as the materials it is built of… for the Nova (and subsequently all my future models) I choose the respected German supplier R-G… Interglas glass cloths and DPP carbon tube rods are truly first rate, my choice for 24h thin laminating epoxy is the outstanding L 385/386H  which is an aviation grade (Aero) epoxy system… have already being using this epoxy system for a number of years and is truly a professional product.

Despite the high level of prefabrication there are still certain tasks that must be completed by the buyer:
-Wings are supplied in two separate halves, this is primarily done to substantially lower shipping cost as the package is considerably smaller and lighter so falling in to the lower class of shipping cost level. Wing halves need to be glued together and center reinforced with the supplied-precut glass cloth… however this should not daunt you as I have made all details easy for you: wing roots are accurately pre-sanded for the dihedral angle and precisely predrilled for the wing bolt… wing tips are also pre cut and ready for you to glue the readymade composite CF winglets, every part is machined/sanded to very high tolerances and totally ready for these operations.
- Fuselage keel is supplied without cutout openings for servos and needs to be glued in place at the forward fuse opening, this is also done deliberately as each buyer may have different brands of servos/receiver etc so it is best and quite easier that he first measures his equipment and making the correct cutouts before final gluing of the fuse keel.
- Stab/elevator/fin/rudder are completely finished and ready to be glued together and then mounted/glued at the pre-slotted fuse rear mount... my special circular hinges are supplied and all tail parts are ready slotted to receive them, you must glue in the elevator/rudder hinges after installing the tail group on the fuse.
- CF micro horns are provided and must be glued in the ready slotted elevator/rudder and carbon rod pushrods installed… again a simple task as all slots are machined to high accuracy so just insert the horns and glue in place.

R/C equipment requirements:
Despite its diminutive size my Nova can easily accept a wide range of micro components… I have especially paid attention when  designing the fuselage to be adequately low drag with minimal frontal area but roomy enough for servos ranging from 1.7 to 3.5 gr, most micro 2.4 receivers (2.5-4 gr)can easily fit… for battery I recommend a 1S 70-150Mah lipo.
As with most R/C sailplanes some nose weight (10-15gr) is necessary to balance the model at the correct C/G range so I supply with the model package a small bag of lead shot pellets to aid for that purpose.

Required level for the Nova:
 The Nova was not conceived for the total beginner but rather for advanced micro glider fans with dedication and experience to bring the best out of its refined composite airframe… In order to prepare it for flight you should be able to correctly glue the wing halves together/tail group on fuse etc and carefully install your R/C gear etc… However with the high level of prefabrication I have put on this model these are not difficult tasks but prior building experience is definitely needed.
On the flight department: While the model is relatively easy to fly with user friendly overall handling I have not designed it for the rank beginner but for advance to expert pilots who can carefully flight trim/fine tune their micro Nova and being able to extract its high performance potential… in my detailed manual I cover not only the steps required to prepare/finish the Nova but expert tips on flight trimming/fine tuning and exploiting the best out of its highly refined airframe.

Package contents:
With every model shipped I include: Left and right wing panels / Stab with separate elevator / Fin with separate rudder / Fuse with separate nose pod and keel / Winglets / CF tube pushrods / Complete hardware for the model including 24h epoxy glue and even lead shot micro pellets to properly balance the model at the required CG range.
Required to prepare the model for flight you should only need some basic modeling tools and a small quantity of good quality Epoxy glue of the 15min variety… CA type glues may be used as an aid in certain areas.
For the important tasks of joining the separate wing halves and center joint Glass cloth reinforcement I supply the precut cloth pieces and two syringes partly filled with the appropriate graduated dose amounts of industrial grade 24h laminating epoxy glue… easy to use concept with high strength results guaranteed.
Apart from the model itself I have also devoted much time and thought preparing its highly detailed manual so all phases of preparation are covered in clear and easy to follow steps plus a number of photos to show certain important details, last pages describe flight issues and help topics to fine tune this unique and exciting high performance micro R/C sailplane.

Shipping notes:
Each micro Nova will be shipped in a custom made container consisting of an 18mm wall thickness foam core box externally reinforced with glued on 5mm thick double flute cardboard, a removable top lid of the same construction makes opening the box and removing the model easy… all model parts will be individually bubble wrapped and “soft” immobilized inside the box to keep them from moving during transport.
 This box/packaging concept results a very strong/rigid but lightweight container ensuring safe arrival to your international destination… I have used this method for a number of years to ship other valuable models with total success so rest assured your Nova will arrive in perfect condition.

Availability/cost/spare parts and ordering notes:
I personally build and prepare each Nova (including packaging) so this is a totally handmade product… many dedicated molds and tooling have being also fabricated to help produce its specialized and accurate airframe so making your Nova is a time consuming and labor intensive task.
That is why only a small number (two-three models) can be made each month so availability is logically limited… I will make every effort to supply you with your own unique micro Nova as soon as possible but please understand that depending on the number of models I have in my limited stock and your choice of color you may have to wait a certain time period and exercise patience.

I will certainly keep an ordering line and produce/supply models faithfully to this order…  to place an order first thing to do is send me an e-mail at kazaklisglider@yahoo.gr stating your preferred color choice and possibly some additional info you might like to ask about the model, I will respond promptly and be glad to be of service, will also inform you about current availability… if I don’t have your specific color readily available for shipping I will state the time required to produce it.
If agreed by you I will include your order and model details in the production order line schedule… a few days before your model production I will notify you and also provide payment details (PayPal) and shipping date time window, your payment automatically ensures your personal model production, shipping and ownership… also your customer registration number so can order spare parts in the future… (Hope this will never be needed but I will certainly supply you every spare model component as soon as possible).

Despite this is strictly a handmade model with unique features that are time consuming and demanding in production I have made every effort to keep the price of 168 Euros (plus 4,5% PayPal fees) within reach of the relatively medium budget oriented micro glider enthusiasts… shipping cost of 17 Euros (ELTA Hellenic Post) tracking number provided) is also kept low as the separate wing panels easily fit in a relatively small/ lightweight package.

YouTube presentation video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmdAYyEWHZ4

YouTube flight video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9GmdXgkfLU

Contact email:kazaklisglider@yahoo.gr

Hope to sometime see you at a local micro slope or a mini field really enjoying your Micro Nova… maybe we could fly together or even do a one design micro contest with really simple rules… as I always say:
Soaring really means Sharing!

Regards Tasos.
Magic Soaring...