Author Topic: Indoor Virgin  (Read 18963 times)

billscottni

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nimsa.co.uk ; www.billscott.org.uk
Indoor Virgin
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2009, 15:19:48 PM »
go with velcro or double sided tape

Aidan

• View Profile
Indoor Virgin
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2009, 15:57:16 PM »
Velcro pads work but I don't like them. You have to stick pads to all your packs! Also it puts some strain on the airframe when you pull it off.
A velcro strap around the pack that holds it in place but is not attached to it is a better solution in my opinion especially for larger packs, say 2s 500mAh+. The example below is pretty bulky and is in an old outdoor plane of mine but I've done something similar with a much narrower strap for indoor planes. There are two downsides: the velcro is a bit heavy and also if you don't reinforce the slots in the depron it will start to tear and crush over time.
My preference especially for lighter stuff like the F3P planes is just a small elastic band. Laminate some small pieces of depron to locate the battery and to provide enough material to anchor the pins for the elastic band. Don't make the pins too narrow (e.g. cocktail sticks) or they'll be inclined to tear the depron (The pins in the picture below are about 2.5mm diameter from a bamboo skewer, a bit of 1/8" balsa dowel is probably even better). You only need very little tension on the band especially for small <30g packs.
I really like this method. it's tidy, easy, light and reliable.

You can use double sided tape or velcro pads for the first flight or two if you want to check the CG before adding a permanent battery holder.

Aidan

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Indoor Virgin
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2009, 16:46:22 PM »
Aiden, my good man, that was very informative. I’m very much obliged to you for that detailed information :clap:  :clap:

I notice  that you’ve secured your motor mount to the fuse with what looks like fiber tape. Is that all you use?

And another question, how do you secure your servos?

Sorry to pester you with these questions, but as the title of this thread says, I’m only a Virgin! (to this discipline of rc flight).

Keith
Try not to run out of airspeed, altitude and ideas....... all at the same time.

Aidan

• View Profile
Indoor Virgin
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2009, 17:56:42 PM »
Quote from: "Happy Days"
Aiden, my good man, that was very informative. I’m very much obliged to you for that detailed information :clap:  :clap:

I notice  that you’ve secured your motor mount to the fuse with what looks like fiber tape. Is that all you use?

And another question, how do you secure your servos?

Sorry to pester you with these questions, but as the title of this thread says, I’m only a Virgin! (to this discipline of rc flight).

Keith

Hi Keith,

Yes, I just use a small piece of fibre tape on each arm of a X motor mount. Normal hinge tape would do the job too.
I've attached servos a few different ways. Good double sided tape works. Alternatively you can glue them. If the slot for the servo is a good fit then a couple of small dabs of medium CA will hold it. If you want the glue to do the whole job it's probably better to wrap the servo in tape or heatshrink and glue the servo straight onto the depron.

Aidan

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Indoor Virgin
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2009, 18:21:51 PM »
Very useful information Aidan. :D

Thank you very much indeed. :clap:

Keith

DaveMc

• View Profile
    • http://uk.geocities.com/dave72ie/
Indoor Virgin
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2009, 20:29:23 PM »
Dont feel bad kieth about all the questions. You were reading my mind. All those questions were on my mind aswell. I am waiting on delivery of my first Depron indoor model.

Thanks Aidan for that great advice.

D.
At least we walk towards our crashes and not run screaming from them ;)

Brian

• View Profile
Indoor Virgin
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2009, 09:21:47 AM »
Hi Dave,
Me too.
Hmm must be something to do with all this good weather.
Hi Aidan,Keith etc. when I glue in radio I use a Polyurethene like Tek7.
It cures in moisture vapour,found in the air we breath, to a firm rubber.
Very strong, and just cut to remove the rest will peel off.
Its available in black and white at least.

Brian
Serious Power

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Indoor Virgin
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2009, 17:03:45 PM »
Okay all you indoor Guru’s .Two questions;

1/ What is the best material to use for an indoor model, when being flown by a novice indoor pilot? :?:

2/ What sort of  target weight should such a model be? :?:

(I’m expecting to receive loads of different answers :lol: )

K.

billscottni

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nimsa.co.uk ; www.billscott.org.uk
Indoor Virgin
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2009, 17:18:26 PM »
Don't know about Q2 but Q1 would DEFINITELY be EPP!

Aidan

• View Profile
Indoor Virgin
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2009, 19:08:54 PM »
Quote from: "Happy Days"
Okay all you indoor Guru’s .Two questions;

1/ What is the best material to use for an indoor model, when being flown by a novice indoor pilot? :?:

2/ What sort of  target weight should such a model be? :?:

(I’m expecting to receive loads of different answers :lol: )

K.

EPP is definitely a good idea if you expect to do a fair amount of crashing and that's a definite possibility for your first few flights indoors. You could build the entire plane from EPP or another possibility is to build an EPP nose section onto a Depron or Extrupor airframe. The nose will always take the vast majority of the abuse.
Weight depends on size but keep it as light as you can. For a typical shockflier size plane (say 780mm to 850mm span) I'd aim for 160g or less if you want to keep the speed reasonable (~130g would be nice but might be hard to achieve first try). Remember, the lighter it is the slower you can fly it and the slower you fly it the more time you have to decide how to avoid the walls.

Aidan

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Indoor Virgin
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2009, 20:18:25 PM »
Thank you, Bill and Aiden,......all food for thought.

Anyone else have any words of wisdom for an eejit Englishman? :oops:

John,..... Ralph?

K.