Author Topic: Spraying Foam Model WHAT PAINT?  (Read 8961 times)

Baker

• View Profile
Spraying Foam Model WHAT PAINT?
« on: November 11, 2009, 23:34:23 PM »
I have a Formosa from GWS and want to spray the Model, can anyone recommend some type/brand of paint I can use, preferably something I can get locally, like car spray paint?  I do have an airbrush but I just need the Model to be visible when flying.

All and any sugestions would be appreciated.

D.
NEVER ENOUGH POWER

IceWind

• View Profile
    • http://icewind.no.sapo.pt
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2009, 00:10:48 AM »
Hi,

Make sure you use a water based spray. Normal spray cans will eat the foam.
There is some specially made for rc models and is water based, but the color range is short and the price doesn't help either.

I talked with someone that used regular spray cans, increasing a bit the distance to avoid soakign it with paint and building layers slowly allowing them to dry between each spray. I tried for testign and didn't liked it it ended up eating a bit the foam.

So in the end I used normal water acrylic paint also in a formosa and in a TM400 both from GWS, at the time I used a brush. Took me time and pacience but the end result was good.
I tried with the airbrush but I'm no expert and I never managed to thin the paint correctly to be able to use it. :(

Hope it helps.
..Nando

Fred

• Slope Soaring is not a crime!
  • Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gliderireland.net
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2009, 07:30:10 AM »
Hey D.  :D

For my Formsa, I used plastic model paint. Works a treat and hard to scratch.

Or any acrylic paint will do. I brushed ine, but if you have an airbrush, that works also very well (did that on my GWS P40, same as the Formosa, with plastic model paint (Humbrol Enamel for me))

Great little model, one of the best sport electric model I ever had !

Oh, and by the way, just in case, if you need it one day, I have a complete wing in my garage f you need some spare (the one on the photo  :oops: )

Fred
Education is important, but flying RC planes and gliders is importanter!

Baker

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2009, 07:11:23 AM »
Thanks for the answers and help guys, I looked in my local town for some Humbrol paints?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!   does nobody build airfix models anymore??????  Couldn't find any but I have some enamel based paints at home and will test them on some foam.     Fred How do you post video clips on the forum? I have some indoor clips From Wexford I would like to put on the forum> :!:  :!:  :!:
NEVER ENOUGH POWER

Fred

• Slope Soaring is not a crime!
  • Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gliderireland.net
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2009, 08:24:44 AM »
Hi,

You can upload your video to Youtube or Vimeo, and put the link here (or embeded).
All here : http://www.gliderireland.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=438

Otherwise, you can host the video on a server somewhere, and same, post the link to the video in your post (like I do)  :D

If you don't have space somewhere to put files etc etc, let me know, plenty of space on the gliderireland server !  :D
Education is important, but flying RC planes and gliders is importanter!

JohnPearson

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Foam paint
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2009, 22:18:02 PM »
Hi Baker

Another idea for painting on foam is to use the small tester pots you get in B&Q or in the south I think you call it Woodies. Most of the matt or silk finish paints are water based, you can spray them with an airbrush if you water them down, or brush them on, just give the model a light coat of sealer to protect the paint before flight.

Baker

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2009, 17:49:40 PM »
Tester pots!
    Nice Idea and cheap too as you only need 2-3 colours,

NEVER ENOUGH POWER

bren.p

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2012, 21:40:57 PM »
Any of u guys looking for model paints www.marksmodels.com they have shops in dun laoigre, cork and hawkin street dublin.

Hope this helps.[/u]