Author Topic: ASW 20  (Read 71529 times)

Peter

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
ASW 20
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2010, 11:47:20 AM »
ASW progressing slowly - working on the wings at present - still on the first panel and ground to a halt for want of some decent 1.5 mm balsa for the skins - last batch of balsa I got from the UK was both expensive and poor quality.  Anyone any suggestions - Fred you had some nice stuff - where did you source that?

Alan_Perse

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
ASW 20
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2010, 11:50:31 AM »
Looking good. Did you change the aerofoil like you did with the Pilatus. By the way how well does your Pilatus fly on the HQ 2.5?

Peter

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
ASW 20
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2013, 19:24:31 PM »
And eventually... it's almost ready to go! Just some wiring to sort out internally and some lead to go in the nose.

[/img]

Alan_Perse

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
ASW 20
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2013, 20:51:37 PM »
Wonderful job Peter. Looking forward to seeing it at the next Fly-In.

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
ASW 20
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2013, 09:07:05 AM »
An immaculate looking job :D …..well done Peter! :clap:  :clap:  Now come the questions. :?:

1/ Have you the courage to launch it?
2/ When?

I think if I’d put three years work into a project I’d build a glass case around it and spend an eternity just looking at it! :lol:

Keith.
Try not to run out of airspeed, altitude and ideas....... all at the same time.

JohnPearson

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
ASW 20
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2013, 21:15:03 PM »
Nice job Peter, looks fantastic  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

Peter

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
ASW 20
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2013, 22:57:06 PM »
Thanks everyone.  As always - Keith asks the pertinent questions...! I am determined to get it airborne this summer so I can get on to the next project.

Roy

• View Profile
ASW 20
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2014, 08:40:41 AM »
Hi, just starting my first scale build (mike trew cirrus 3m) just wondering how you finished your fusalage after planking. Its a  big step up from building kits like Bird of time etc where you get detailed plans and instuctions. Going to keep close to the plan as poss, maybe only changing servo instal. to wings.

Fred

• Slope Soaring is not a crime!
  • Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gliderireland.net
ASW 20
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2014, 10:02:48 AM »
Hi Roy,

Welcome to the forum  :D
I leave Peter to answer your question, and the way he did it on his ASW20
 :D

The Cirrus plan is from the 80s I believe right?  :?:  I see what you mean for the servo install, that certainly used bellcranks in the wings etc etc  :?:
Education is important, but flying RC planes and gliders is importanter!

orionis

• View Profile
    • http://orionis1.free.fr
ASW 20
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2014, 10:05:33 AM »
I'm also interested in the answer, as the ASW20's plan is on my to-do list...  :)

Peter

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
ASW 20
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2014, 21:25:01 PM »
Hi Roy,

The first Mike Trew plan I built from was a Pilatus and I went for film covering on the fuselage - not entirely successful as the fuselage shape is quite complex and hard to get the film on neatly without having too many joins.  Hence on the ASW I went for a paint finish - I glassed the front end and then spent quite a lot of time filling and sanding before applying an undercoat and then several spray coats of paint, sanding lightly between coats. I just used a commercially available spray can.  Make sure whatever glue you use for the planks can be sanded easily - otherwise it may be quite hard to get a smooth surface - I used Resin W. Result - still some imperfections but it is a home crafted model and has not popped out of a mold so I am not too worried!  Yet to fly it - thwarted by a combination of weather and work.  

Best of luck with your build - certainly there is a lot of effort in a planked fuselage but good to have a project like this on the go and the end result is quite satisfying.

Peter

Roy

• View Profile
ASW 20
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2014, 07:10:57 AM »
Thanks Peter, Glass sounds the way to go.

Roy

• View Profile
ASW 20
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2014, 03:24:52 AM »
Peter have you built your glider as light as poss.?  Im just debating whether to fit a retract wheel, it would add about 220gms to build weight and make it a little harder to fit everything in.

Peter

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
ASW 20
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2014, 22:47:23 PM »

First flight of the ASW20 today at Killakee. Here it is is back on the ground in one piece.  A little on the windy side 30 kph+ for a test flight but it seemed to go well -  landing a little hairy but survived with just the rudder horn pulled out after digging a wing in.

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
ASW 20
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2014, 06:44:47 AM »
Well done Peter!  :clap:  :clap:

Four years in the making but you got there eventually, so a big pat on the back for you. Must be very exciting flying her for the first time after all that work. I always say it’s good to feel your heart beating in your chest :D …..you know you’re alive. :wink:

So what’s the next project? A full house wing for the Phase 6 perhaps? 8)

L. Keith
Try not to run out of airspeed, altitude and ideas....... all at the same time.