Author Topic: Sloping fun, show your pictures and videos !!!!!  (Read 42337 times)

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Sloping fun, show your pictures and videos !!!!!
« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2010, 09:48:58 AM »
Well, I’m glad to hear you’re in love with your little Fox, Richard. Personally I couldn’t get on with mine at all. I had it for about a month and then threw it away. :(
I found she only flew in light conditions and wasn’t very aerobatic. I even cut out a little hole for some ballast :roll:  but that didn’t improve her ability to penetrate into the wind :cry: …… May be I should have taped the wings,…………Ed said he did the same with his and it improved it's performance. Never mind, I think I lack the necessary finesse on the sticks. I’m bit of a more “Blood & Guts” type flyer. :twisted:  (It’s easier that way.)

The B52 looks great in the air John :D  and well done to Bill for his “Homebrewed” V tail job. :clap:  

Having recently got myself a V tailed model I have to admit they do seem to fly that bit faster than cross tail ones.
I don’t know if there is any science to substantiate that statement, or whether it’s all subjective. :?:
Does anyone know any facts on the matter? Does a plane with a ‘V’ tail fly faster than the same plane with a ‘+’ tail???..............  Fred, any ideas?

K.
Try not to run out of airspeed, altitude and ideas....... all at the same time.

Richard Boyd

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2010, 10:47:58 AM »
Hi Keith I have read lots of similar comments about the Windrider Fox. i can only tell you how my baby flys , and that it is an amazing little plane.
I now have my CG set at 2 1/4" back and she is so aerobatic, roll rates are super, I even managed an inverted flat spin with her yesterday. A simple pull on the elevator and she recovered beautifully. Snaps etc. are simple as are spins. All that for £60 !  

I guess that your experience is virtually the same as my thoughts were on a phase 6 !
My 6 flys crap ! then I got a flight with Johns 6 on Friday , what a fantastic aerobatic plane.

Richard Boyd  :D
Richard Boyd
A bad days flying is better than a good days work.

billscottni

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nimsa.co.uk ; www.billscott.org.uk
« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2010, 11:00:43 AM »
"An unbelievables days fun with the Chuckle brothers.
They carved me up big time !
tee hee was heard echoing around the valley ! "

John and I really should apologise to Richard and his poor beaten upon Fox. First I clipped him, :evil:  (model recovered and flewn on), then John hit him and sliced through his aerial dumping the model in the bog. :twisted:

Poor Richard was beginnning to think it was an EPP free slope!!

andrew wallace

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bmfc.btinternet.co.uk
« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2010, 11:32:39 AM »
:( spent all day in bed and missed out again
think i'll give this giging up i'm missing out big time  :cry:

can't wait till i get back to the slope again i had such a good day on tuesday  :D

andrew
i\'m an ordinary man nothing special nothing grand

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2010, 11:38:47 AM »
Richard,
I was interested to hear your comments, re; Fox / Phase 6, thanks.

Just on the matter of your Phase 6,………I only saw your model once and I can’t remember if it has the “Sport” (Semi-symmetrical) or “Professional” (Fully symmetrical) wing.

I’ve never had a “Professional” winged model but I’m told they are not very enjoyable to fly.

Out of curiosity, which has your plane got?

K.

billscottni

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nimsa.co.uk ; www.billscott.org.uk
« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2010, 12:29:57 PM »
Keith, with regards to V & T tail models being faster it's to do with parasitic and "junction" drag. Basically a T and a V have fewer junctions with the fuz than a + tail draw a V, T & + and you'll see what I mean.

There are trade offs however. Booms need to be stronger for a T and they frequently crack just ahead of the fin in anything but a perfect landing. V tails can be hard to set up as there's always a bit of coupling between rudder and elevator.

If you look at the F3f/b scene, there's a move back to + tails

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2010, 12:53:54 PM »
Thanks Bill,

When you say ‘parasitic’ drag I assume you mean ‘Form’ drag. :?:  I’ve always understood that parasitic drag was created by items that project into the airflow that are not directly used for flight. (Undercarriage, antennas, pitot tubes, ect.)
Thanks for the information.

So the big boys are moving back to cross tails are they? Well, “There’s nothing new under the sun!”

K.

Richard Boyd

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2010, 11:55:53 AM »
Hi Keith , yes the phase 6 is the professional plane.
It flys a world apart from Johns 6.
I am now back at 130mm CG and it now shows a little more neutral in inverted flight , dive test is about as good as I can get it.
Rolls are slow and lift is so bad.
If you want to just go up and down the lift then it is ok but for me it is totally crap.

Richard
Richard Boyd

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2010, 12:13:13 PM »
Hey Richard,

Shame your’s is the full symmetric wing. :(  I’ve never heard a good word spoken about them.

Just for your info, Chris Foss sells separate wings for the Phase 6, so you could buy a semi symmetric wing and fit it to your fus. You’d have much more fun with the plane then. :)  
I don’t know how much the wings are, the entire model is only about £80.

As a further point, if you did get another wing you could build it into a full house wing. :D  Separate flaps for crow braking and light conditions, combined flaps/aileron mixing for aerobatic fun in stronger conditions. :twisted:

Just a thought, ol’ fruit.

K.

IceWind

• View Profile
    • http://icewind.no.sapo.pt
« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2010, 17:18:37 PM »
Quote from: "Richard Boyd"

Hi Icewind, the Fox is by windrider, made from bouncy EPP and it flys fantastic.
I used tape to strenghten the winds and only glue used was to attach the elevator ! Total weight with battery is 437g !
I used a standard servo for the elevator , Hitec 55 for rudder and EMAX ES08MA metal geared servos for the ailerons. The emax es08 are the best small budget servo I have ever used. and check the price http://www.expressfly.org.uk/shop/product_info.php?products_id=281

This is my baby Fox fly on a windy day, the more you cuddle her the better she flys !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! just for Keith

Much appreciated the info provided.
Indeed it seems a great flyer, I found two version e-powered or pure glider. But I'd go for the pure glider version.

Been EPP and wing detachable (right??) makes it perfect for me.
It's about time I put aside the ones I try to build from scratch and never fly. ( Not sure why  8) )
So I can move to the balsa glider like the big boys in the slope. :)

Also thanks for the tip on the servos, for a metal gear servo that price seem very good. I was using Hextronik MG-14 on the same specs and price range but very often you find some that jitters...
..Nando

Richard Boyd

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 21, 2010, 06:55:28 AM »
Hi Nando, If you need questions answered please feel free to give me a shout and ask away.
The only thing I would have changed in my build was to sand of the injecting moulding nipples that are on the wings and elevator etc. I covered mine with 2" cross weave fiber tape and this left the wings/ailerons and elevator super stiff. No need to embed carbon or anything like that.
Use a good quality standard servo for your elevator.
Oh and do add the rudder, use a emax servo or any good quality micro servo that you have in the workshop.
I didnot glue the Fox together the tape holds the fuse in one piece.

Richard
Richard Boyd

IceWind

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 23, 2010, 11:08:03 AM »
Hi Richard,

Thanks for the help.
I'm definetly thinking about it, I found one person selling one in Portugal already fully built. With rudder built as well and re-enforced (so far I'm not sure exactly wht they mean by this)
It looks perfect the only problem may be the servos they used HXT900 for all surfaces and I'd defiently go and change them.
So I might get it in a couple of weeks, if not I';ll get a new and build it like you said using fiber tape.

I'm still not 100% sure about this but, are the wings removable?
I can't imagine carrying around a 1.6Mt "cross".

Thanks,
Nando
..Nando

Eiretime

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 27, 2010, 17:54:34 PM »
Hey Nando,
Would you like my Fox? Let me know if you want it

ed

Richard Boyd

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 27, 2010, 22:15:13 PM »
Hi Nando, yes the wings are removable,
Sounds like your getting an offer closer to home.
Luck man !!!!!
I am going to buy another Fox as they suit my style of flying, bump bump and fly lol

Richard
Richard Boyd

IceWind

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 27, 2010, 22:58:05 PM »
Hey Eiretime,

Let me know how much you want for it and what's the condition.
The other one despite been cheap I'd have to carry it across half Europe.
Thanks for the offer!

@Richard, excellent news! Until I get a van the best I can get is removable wings. Where do you guys use to fly up north? I've seen on the photos and the places look great, specially the sea views.

Nando
..Nando