Author Topic: Arming an ESC  (Read 11939 times)

Aidan

• View Profile
Arming an ESC
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2010, 08:38:39 AM »
Wow - Different figures for different channels! That's a whole new level of silliness. I presume they've done that because they reckon you'll need plenty room for adjustment and trimming on the primary controls but not so much on the auxillaries. It seems like excessive "user friendliness" to me. Try making something too user friendly and you just make it into a confusing mess that tries to tell you what to do and is bad at doing what you want.

I typically try and set up planes on my EVO so I have the deflections I expect will be about right at around 80% to 85% servo travel. Any less and you're compromising a lot on servo torque and resolution. Any more and you don't have much flexibility. Seems like that would correspond to around 115% as a starting point on Futaba.

Aidan

Richard Boyd

• View Profile
Arming an ESC
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2010, 10:39:37 AM »
For my servo travel I tend to use 150%
That is just me !
I would rather have the full resolution of the servo and set the control horns and servo arms to reduce travel or increase it.

Richard
Richard Boyd
A bad days flying is better than a good days work.

Aidan

• View Profile
Arming an ESC
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2010, 11:44:41 AM »
Quote from: "Richard Boyd"
For my servo travel I tend to use 150%
That is just me !
I would rather have the full resolution of the servo and set the control horns and servo arms to reduce travel or increase it.

Richard

If I'm building a duplicate plane I go for the full range of movement but if it's something new I allow some flexibility and so far I've never bothered re-making the linkages after fine tuning the deflections. Changes are usually small. My new indoor delta would be an exception - the original rudder design was ridiculously powerful and servo travel had to be chopped to about 50% or 60% of the original settings to keep it sane! You're losing a lot of resolution and centring accuracy by doing that but it's not exactly a precision plane so it's not a big deal. If it was for F3P I'd be more concerned.

Which radio are you using that uses 150% as 100%? Is that Spektrum?

Aidan

Ron

Arming an ESC
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2010, 13:01:58 PM »
Having a standard based upon the signal is much more sensible. Something you can measure reliably and is common to all systems.

As usual, different manufacturers have different ideas, and I too think 100% is, or should be, the total maximum movement of the servo.
From a Tx point of view this should be a standard signal state.
What angle that represents at the servo could be down to the servo manufacturers. But certainly the centre point should be clearly defined.

What's that JETIbox all about Aidan?
Sounds interesting.

Ron