Author Topic: Hello from the U.S.  (Read 23427 times)

Freedom Flyer

• View Profile
Hello from the U.S.
« on: January 05, 2012, 15:08:52 PM »
Hello from the U.S.,
     Hope you don't mind a foreigner dropping in.
     What a beautiful place you all live in, I've admired your slopes from afar.  Would be a dream to get there one day and fly on those huge faces. I don't fly anything too fancy, mostly older style built up balsa stuff, have one foamie and hoping to move into the carbon fiber realm at some point. have enjoyed looking through your posts. Freedom Flyer
Still learning after all these years

Fred

• Slope Soaring is not a crime!
  • Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gliderireland.net
Hello from the U.S.
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2012, 15:38:30 PM »
Hey Tracy,

Welcome to the forum!  :D
And feel free to come this side of the ocean anytime! There will always be a bed for you here!  :D

And don't hesitate to share your builds with us.

Fred
Education is important, but flying RC planes and gliders is importanter!

Freedom Flyer

• View Profile
A bit of trouble
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2012, 16:05:19 PM »
Fred,
    I'm having a bit of trouble navigating this forum and getting set up properly, I'd like to add an avatar but not quite sure how to get a pic to a URL, and will more than likely need to get some guidance for posting pics as well. And thanks for the offer, it would sure be a blast to get to that side of the pond :D. Tracy (FF)

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Hello from the U.S.
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2012, 17:43:31 PM »
Hi Freedom Flyer, :D

As a little girl once said to me when I was in kindergarten, “ I’ll show you mine, if you show me yours” So, here is a picture of me and my glider. It’s an ASW 22, 13ft w.s.
Flys on very little lift, but not very aerobatic. ( It takes about two weeks to complete a roll. :roll: )

Oh, and as for the little girl……What she showed me was a total revelation to me, I can tell you!!! :lol:

Keith
Try not to run out of airspeed, altitude and ideas....... all at the same time.

Fred

• Slope Soaring is not a crime!
  • Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gliderireland.net
Hello from the U.S.
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2012, 19:37:37 PM »
That's a awesome model Keith!
The glider is not bad too!  :P  :lol:

Tracy, for the avatar, this is maybe because there are size limitations.
The avatar must not be more than 90x90 pix and 15kb in size.
Better to upload it from your PC, but if you need halp, send the avatar to me, and I'll upload it to your profile  :D

For the images, same, you have a limitation in size (that's to keep the pages easy to read / load).
Max size is 800x800 pix. You have a mini how to here :

http://www.gliderireland.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=980#980

Anyway, if you need help, we are here  :D
Education is important, but flying RC planes and gliders is importanter!

Freedom Flyer

• View Profile
Experimentation
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2012, 20:29:53 PM »
Guys,
     I'll do some experimentation and see if I can figure this thing out, I may have to get my neighbor over to see if he can help me out. Thanks, Tracy

gerryb

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Hello from the U.S.
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2012, 21:34:17 PM »
welcome to the forum tracy, hope to see some of your work soon.  i hope you don't mind me asking, but are you tracy (male), or tracy (female)? just curious!!

keith, i'm wondering how old is that photo........? nothing to do with you, it's just that blue stuff behind you, it's been so long since i've seen any of it!!

looks a fine model, any more info on it?

Freedom Flyer

• View Profile
A bit about me
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2012, 22:38:32 PM »
Gerry,
     I am Tracy (Male), been involved in the RC hobby for 30 years although have not flown nearly as much as I would like to.I Love RC, but I Love my wife and kids more therefore the flight time takes 2nd place. Since I haven't flown a bunch lately, the RC world has passed me by and moved into the Carbon Fiber  realm, so until I get up to date and save a little $$, I'll keep flying my balsa crunchies and my 1 foamie.
      I Got started while working in a College Dormitory where one of the students had a J-3 Cub hanging from his ceiling in his dorm room. Long story short, through visitation and seeing him fly a bit the bug  bit me.  He ended up crashing one of his planes and throwing it away, I pulled it out of the garbage and through trial and error, secretly put it back together. Bought a Futaba 4 channel radio and an O.S. Max .25 and surprised him with the rebuild one day.  He took it out and test flew it and I was on my way. That was of course before the days of trainer cords in 4 channel radios, so it wasn't long before the rebuild was re-kitted and I found another used plane to learn on. surprisingly enough It only took 2 planes for me to solo.  He then introduced me to slope soaring, which really is my preferred type of flying.  I tried for 20 years to get my older brothers involved in the hobby and about 10 years ago, 2 out of the 3 succumbed to the call.  We are the only 3 guys that fly sailplanes and slope planes in our area, (that we know of we've never seen anyone else in the last  10 years) pretty sad for a city of 55,000. My oldest brother flies both power and sailplanes, but my other brother is a purest and flies slope only and no batteries or spinny things allowed :lol:. Therefore, my oldest brother and I call him a Girl and laugh at him when we're at the slope with no wind and we're flying our Radians. I do still fly power and enjoy it but I'd take sloping any day :D . Hope to get this figured out soon so I can share some pics of our part of the world and of our slope and the Retro stuff we fly. Shoot, I've still got the first Gentle Lady glider I built back in the spring of 1982, it sill flies wonderfully, and I take it with every time I go out.  :D  :D Hopefully I'll have some pics soon FF

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Hello from the U.S.
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2012, 22:38:53 PM »
Tracy, you’d be better off ignoring gerryb. He’s hoping you are female. :wink:  He has an eye for the ladies does our Gerry. :lol:

As for the ASW, I’ll write quietly so Fred won’t hear.

I don’t have an awful lot of info about the ASW Gerry. I managed to blackmail Fred into selling it to me about three years ago.
I told him that if he didn’t sell it to me, then every time I met him I’d remind him of a battle that his ancestors lost to my ancestors some 200 years ago outside a little village in what is now Belgium. (I can’t tell you the name of the battle because I promised Fred I would never mention the matter again if he sold me the ASW……..but I‘ll give you a clue. ABBA‘s first hit was called it. And the Eurostar train service from Paris terminates in London at a station of the same name.)

So if you want any more info Gerry, Fred is your man! :D

K.

gerryb

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Hello from the U.S.
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2012, 21:46:36 PM »
hi tracy,  thanks for the little history story. it's amazing how similar such stories are of how people get into the world of aeromodelling.  some stay, others move on, but eventually come back to the fold!!.

by the way tracy, don't believe a word keith says about me, he's always stirring it up, and be very careful with your spellings and grammer. he's a stikcler for the king's english!!

keith, i'm just wondering, if you had that asw all along, why did you bother with the mu 28 (or whatever no it is)? that should be an ideal 4m to get you into biggish models

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Hello from the U.S.
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2012, 22:29:25 PM »
Well you’re exactly right Ger, :clap:  it did get me into flying bigger models. Like I said, I got it off Fred. (about 3 years ago, I think :?: ).

The only ‘problem’ I found with it, is that it’s very light. Hence it doesn’t fly very well, (with me at the controls :oops: ) in windy weather, which, as you may have noticed, we tend to get rather a lot of here in Ireland.

The other ‘problem’ is that it’s not at all aerobatic. It can just about loop, although it needs a lot of height and the wings flex an awful lot. (“Clenched buttocks time,” :shock: ………if you get my drift.) And it takes ages to get a complete 360 roll.
Don’t mis-understand me,……..It’s a lovely plane for flying in light conditions or thermaling. But that’s not really my scene. :(

So I started looking for a more aerobatic 4mtr model. It just so happened that after I’d placed the order for the Mu28, the Alpina came up for sale at the right price as well! So now I have two ‘larger’ aerobatic  models. 8)  ……….Well, not two exactly, more like one and a bit! (I still need to get a lot of the materials before I can start building the Mu!……………or maybe I‘m just a wee bit scared to start :roll: )

Incidentally Ger. Convention dictates that the first word of a sentence starts with a high case letter. You’ll find the high case keys to the lower left and right of your key board. (Just thought I’d let you know! :lol: )

Still waiting to see Tracy’s models. C’mon Tracy, show us what u got!

K.

gerryb

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Hello from the U.S.
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2012, 22:17:15 PM »
convention also dictates you never start a sentence with 'and'! (And it takes ages.......).

re my non use of capitals, i claim poetic licence on that one!!  anything to be non conventional.

anyway, enough of this grammatical nonsense, let's stick to gravitational inversion.

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Hello from the U.S.
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2012, 23:03:41 PM »
Oaky Ger,..................you win :lol:

Freedom Flyer

• View Profile
spelins end gramr
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2012, 20:41:28 PM »
Jerie,
   downt nead too werry abowt mi end mie speling, Eye tri two maik shur two chek awl thuh wereds whith uh spel chekr ore lewk themm uhp inn thuh dikshunerie beefor Eye tipe themm. :D Freedum Fliier

Freedom Flyer

• View Profile
Hello from the U.S.
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2012, 21:09:19 PM »
did it work?[/img]