Author Topic: Oh what a lovely Time  (Read 9051 times)

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Oh what a lovely Time
« on: November 27, 2012, 16:04:26 PM »
:lol:

This is a picture, taken today, of the Keithy “incognito”.  Yes, it is me underneath all that. Can’t you tell by the nose! (I particularly like the twig coming out the top of my head :lol: )

I’d pulled up at Nine Stones today to find some radio engineers there complaining that the road up to the mast was snow bound, they warned me not to try to get up there. I pointed in the opposite direction and told them I would be flying only 100mtrs from the car park.

It was a little bit chilly on the Big L today, but who cares when you‘re having fun! And WHAT lift! Wow, with wind speeds around 60 - 70 Kph coming straight onto the North Slope it was fantastic. 8)
The only model I’d dare fly in such conditions was, of course, the P.6. I found it rather difficult launching with a gloved hand, the plane kept trying to slide out of my grip. The situation wasn’t helped by the fact that the winds were changeable in direction. I had a couple of quite ‘hair raising’ attempts I can tell you! I added a few hundred grams of ballast and once the plane got out into the lift the flying became a little more predictable.

With County Carlow as a backdrop and blue sky above her, the Phase 6 danced her usual waltz’s,  pirouettes’ jives, shakes, rock & rolls, then chased a few crows around the sky for good measure, all whilst roaring about like a raving Banshee. (The plane,…not me) I felt the adrenaline whizzing through my veins. (There were a few occasions when I felt my buttocks get a bit tight as well, but we wont go into that! :oops: )  

After an hour or so I decided to pack up and head for home. As I packed the plane into the car one of the radio engineers approached me. A Polish gentleman, he told me that he too flew models. We stood chatting for ten or fifteen minutes exchanging rc flying stories. (Probably like the old fisherman’s tales that get more exaggerated every time they’re told. :roll: )

I drove home looking forward to a warm house and a hot cup of coffee. I felt happy, and that sense of deep satisfaction that comes with having enjoyed some exciting flying and good conversation. :P  

I enjoyed today, and the winter is only just beginning. It’s good to be alive! :D

Keith (Little version)
Try not to run out of airspeed, altitude and ideas....... all at the same time.

Fred

• Slope Soaring is not a crime!
  • Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gliderireland.net
Oh what a lovely Time
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2012, 16:28:08 PM »
I hate you!...

Fred - Who can see snow on top of his local slope from his office's window  :cry:
Education is important, but flying RC planes and gliders is importanter!

billscottni

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nimsa.co.uk ; www.billscott.org.uk
Oh what a lovely Time
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2012, 18:52:56 PM »
Retired people who can fly whenever they want, make me sick........................................with envy! :wink:  :wink:

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Oh what a lovely Time
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2012, 19:17:40 PM »
Your turn will come Bill. :wink:  You just need to grow a few more wrinkles! :lol:

Keith

• View Profile
Oh what a lovely Time
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2012, 15:53:03 PM »
Ahh I'm raging I didn't get up with you ..( dam employment ruins everything) :-)

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Oh what a lovely Time
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2012, 06:20:51 AM »
Hopefully we’ll get some flying in on Saturday Keith, probably around midday.
Wrap up warm though! Brrrrrrrrrrrr. :wink:

(Oh, and make sure your planes work before you bring them to the slope this time, er! :roll: )

K.

billscottni

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nimsa.co.uk ; www.billscott.org.uk
Oh what a lovely Time
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2012, 08:35:42 AM »
Laughter lines Keith, laughter lines, not wrinkles!! :wink:

stephen.shannon

• View Profile
Oh what a lovely Time
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2012, 12:42:40 PM »
You've a real gift for the descriptive writing there Keith nice one mate...

as a fisherman for over 30 years now the stories do get bigger and better as the years go on....    I think its a bloke thing rather than exclusive to any one hobby ;-) :)  

fair play Keith, your slopey exploits comfort those of us stuck in jobs not being able to get out.....

Mind you I need to learn how to fly first but sure that will come  :D
Our deepest fear is not that we are weak but that we are powerful beyond measure..... Marianne Williamson

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Oh what a lovely Time
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2012, 15:07:09 PM »
:lol: HA! Thanks for your comments Stephen.

I used to have a “T” with the slogan, “The older I get, …the better it was”  :D (Could have been describing my sex life! :oops: )

As for learning to fly,…..it’s a pity you can't bring your Easy Glider down to Big L tomorrow. You could stick one of my Rx’s in it and fly with a buddy box.

L.K. ( little keith)

stephen.shannon

• View Profile
Oh what a lovely Time
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2012, 15:11:28 PM »
Hi LK,

It wasnt for the want of BK trying to pursuade me to come down just cant get away but will try in the coming couple of week. Happy flying tomorrow, watch the snow....

Do post again on the day....

Stephen
Our deepest fear is not that we are weak but that we are powerful beyond measure..... Marianne Williamson

selleri

• View Profile
Oh what a lovely Time
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2012, 02:35:52 AM »
Nice Keith!  

Quote from: "Fred"
I hate you!...

Fred - Who can see snow on top of his local slope from his office's window  :cry:

Ah, so that's where it is, please don't worry about us, just keep it for yourself all winter long!!!  

Sverrir - In Iceland without the ice.   :lol:

Damn, I just jinxed it didn't I?    :!:
Sverrir - Icelandic Volcano Yeti

selleri

• View Profile
Oh what a lovely Time
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2012, 02:39:23 AM »
Speaking of dam(n)s, has anyone sloped off one?    :?:

The Kárahnjúkastífla Dam is the centerpiece of the five dams and the largest of its type in Europe, standing 193 metres (633 ft) tall with a length of 730 metres (2,400 ft) and comprising 8.5 million cubic metres (300×106 cu ft) of material.

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Oh what a lovely Time
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2012, 07:07:14 AM »
Hey Selleri,

A-Hu, so you live in Iceland, Selleri! 8)  I wondered where “Small rock in a large pond” was.

I must confess that slope soaring off the face of a dam is not on my list of ‘Must-do things before I die.’
I haven’t taught any of my models to swim, so landing could be a bit of a problem for them. :!:  Or though I suppose the surface water freezes in winter? :?:

I bet the lift is great though. :D  :D

Keith

selleri

• View Profile
Oh what a lovely Time
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2012, 07:12:27 AM »
Guilty!   :lol:

I was thinking something with an engine in the nose just to be safe, there should be areas to the side that are land-able(if that's even a word).
Hadn't thought about landing on ice, was thinking more of an summer adventure(as this is about 7-8 hours drive and some serious saving for gas, lol).
Not sure if the access down to the resivour is good, maybe a See Addler... for those summer months!   ;)

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Oh what a lovely Time
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2012, 07:55:38 AM »
Summer MONTHS! :shock:  :shock:

Christ you’re lucky! Here we get summer days. Normally two or maybe three if it’s a good summer! :roll: