Author Topic: Shame to miss a good opportunity!!!  (Read 4311 times)

garrykeogh

• View Profile
Shame to miss a good opportunity!!!
« on: June 09, 2008, 14:33:20 PM »
I left the house this morning for a job interview, suited and booted.  My wife had to stop and ask me what the bundle of casual clothes rolled up under my arm was all about :oops:  caught red handed!

Well, you see... I had to drive from home, across via Sally Gap to Blessington in West Wicklow and of course take the same route home after the interview.  Now in my book, it is a crime to travel past a good slope soaring site with out stopping to have a flight or two 8)  C'mon, it's true... isn't it :shock:

As for the change of clothes... You see, some time ago I was flying at Kilakee on my way back to the office from a customer site, dressed up nicely in my suit an tie when of all things my phone rang.  I picked up the call to hear something like...
"J**sus, I was about to call you to tell you that there is some eejit flying a glider at Kilakee wearing a suit and tie with his trousers tucked into his socks and a dirty pair of brown work boots on... then I recognised you... YOU EEJIT!"

Anyway, back to today. I managed about 4 flights each about 30 minutes with no mishaps.  Loops were big and turns were fast... I was really enjoying myself.  Had the sky to myself, except that is for the Raptors. Two of them being very territorial with my Middle Phase.  In fact, one of them came back after I landed to do some "Victory Dives" :shock:   Big long dives, maybe about 100M each with the exact same cry during each dive.  I guess he was just telling me which bit of sky was his :?:

Unfortunately moments after I landed on my last flight, as I was just about to walk back to the car, I witnessed a guy put a rock through a UK tourists window to make off with a handbag.  In fact, I only caught the crime itself with no lead up and it looked pretty much like a cricket style bowl with  a long run up which he followed straight in through the broken door glass.  The whole incident took about 5 seconds.  I walked back with the distraught tourists, called the Garda with a description e.t.c. but I guess it only proves that we must be careful what we leave visible in our cars.  It is no consolation for the tourists, but the perpetrator left blood on the victims car which the Garda took for DNA testing.  Maybe an expensive smash and grab for this perp!   :clap:    :clap:    :clap:

I am sopoiled lately having got a good 90 minutes gliding in on Saturday afternoon too on the Greyastones side of Bray head.  I love warm and windy days 8)

Garry

Peter

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2008, 20:56:58 PM »
Hi Gary,

Looked like a great day out my office window - well done on getting out on the slope.  No flying for me last weekend as I was away but got some in a at Glencree the weekend before.  Was it at Kilakee that the car break in occurred?   Too bad..

garrykeogh

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008, 00:02:33 AM »
Hi Peter,
The bag snatch happened at Lugala, over the old Guinness house.  I had pulled in at the first layby after the gate to the Guinness estate (bearing in mind I come from the Roundwood end).

I received a call from the local Garda last evening.  I gave a description of the guy and the white van he was in.  I thought the van was a Fiat Doplo though some other people have identified it as a VW Caddy.  Anyway, the point is if we see anybody peering into parked car windows (his MO) anywhere in Wicklow, take down and report the registration.  The guy works all the tourist viewpoints from Cruagh wood across to Glendalough and the Sugar Loaf.  They now have some DNA so they just need to collar him once.  He is a busy thief and a real pest :cry:

This is one of my favorite places to fly because aside from the absolutely stunning vista and local scenery, there is always a mass of warm air bubbling up from the "bomb hole" below.  Any time the wind slackens and you would normally expect to bring the model a bit closer and scratch for lift... wooo-hoooo!  a thermal comes out to the rescue :clap:

Might do a "road trip" there some day?

Garry