Author Topic: only fools and horses  (Read 8165 times)

Richard Boyd

• View Profile
only fools and horses
« on: March 10, 2013, 19:21:21 PM »
Today (10th March) both Andrew and I headed to Slieve Gallion to celebrate Mothers Day. The sun was shining on the low ground but up in the heavens it was a different story !!!!!!!!!
SNOW SNOW SNOW !!!!!!! So much snow we were unable to make it to the top of the mountain.

Brave man
Richard Boyd
A bad days flying is better than a good days work.

andrew wallace

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bmfc.btinternet.co.uk
only fools and horses
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 19:58:03 PM »
It was good crack  :clap:  :clap:
i\'m an ordinary man nothing special nothing grand

Fred

• Slope Soaring is not a crime!
  • Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gliderireland.net
only fools and horses
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2013, 21:06:54 PM »
Good one guys!  :clap:  :clap:

Snow should be here tomorrow!  :D
Education is important, but flying RC planes and gliders is importanter!

Freedom Flyer

• View Profile
only fools and horses
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2013, 04:09:41 AM »
Glad to see some fellow winter flyers :clap:  :clap: We don't fly if we don't fly in winter

My Brother checking out his Radian before a launch

Into the wild white yonder

Me launching my Radian, wasn't a whole lot of lift use power to get up a small breeze for a 10-15 min launch.  This particular hill was where I had my very first sailplane flight 31 years ago.

Took this photo to tease our other brother who was at work teaching this particular day.

I take it you folks don't get snow too often. FF
Still learning after all these years

Richard Boyd

• View Profile
only fools and horses
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2013, 07:11:50 AM »
Hi Fredom Flyer, thanks for sharing your fotos of your winter flying.
You fly off a really beautiful slope.
Snow is not the nornal weather we get in Ireland. We usually just get rain rain and lots of wind of the Atlantic.
On Sunday we had northerly winds, it was baltic to say the least.

I have been going to this slope for over 40 years with my Father. In the early days I was like a labrador as I had to retrieve the planes usually from the bottom of the slopes lol
Thankfully technology has changed our hobby and hill climbing does not happen that often now.
Richard Boyd

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
only fools and horses
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2013, 07:51:08 AM »
You certainly seem to be enjoying yourselves there Tracy, and you’re obviously a ‘hardy’ bunch of guys going out flying with all that white stuff around. :clap:
(Beautiful back drops by the way. )

We have a Glide - In coming up this weekend. Here in the south east of the country it’s snowing at the moment with a N.E. wind. It’s the sort of weather that sorts out the men from the ‘boys’  :wink: if you know what I mean!

Keep up the good work!

Keith
Try not to run out of airspeed, altitude and ideas....... all at the same time.

Freedom Flyer

• View Profile
only fools and horses
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2013, 03:08:09 AM »
Thanks guys, Here's a few more pics from stop our main slope, Sorry to those that may have seen these already.  There's nothing more I enjoy than flying out here In the early spring with these snow covered mountains in the background.  

Richard here's a few pics of my youngest son a few years back retrieving my old Gentle lady. And I wonder as to why he doesn't like coming out with me any more.????? :?  :lol:

Don't get me wrong, it's nice to fly in the summer too :D Tracy

Freedom Flyer

• View Profile
only fools and horses
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2013, 03:08:58 AM »
Sorry, from Atop our main slope

Richard Boyd

• View Profile
only fools and horses
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2013, 07:14:13 AM »
Hi Tracy, I can understand your son not wanting to go out with his Dad lol
I did not take up the hobby until the age of 39 athough I spent from walking age until I was 10 going out with my father to the slope and flat field, plus many hours helping him build his planes. I was an expert at cutting out ribs at the age of 8.
My Dads now 81 and I hope to have him out flying again this summer.
I have 2 boys and they have no interest in planes. Girls seem to be more interesting for them. I wonder why lol
Richard Boyd

selleri

• View Profile
only fools and horses
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2013, 15:34:25 PM »
Nice scenery and great picture, took me few seconds to find the vertical fin!   :)

Sverrir - Icelandic Volcano Yeti

Freedom Flyer

• View Profile
only fools and horses
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2013, 17:44:27 PM »
Richard,

I have hopes of them someday joining the hobby, just not their interest right now, both are basketball players and that seems to be their focus for now which is okay. I really enjoy watching them play and seeing not only their physical growth but their leadership growth as well.  My Oldest just got back from a mission trip to Nicaragua lastnight, heard very good reports from chaparones of his work ethic and leadership, always good to hear about your kids.  
Any way hope that one day they will join me in this wonderful hobby and when I'm 81 they'll be taking me out  :lol:. I was after my 3 brothers for over 20 years before 2 of them caught the bug and they were in their 40's and 50's, they both have said they've never enjoyed a hobby this much so there's always hope for my boys.

selleri,
Yeah, I have a lot of fun with the covering on that plane, it's chrome so I use my wing to reflect the sun into my brothers eyes while they're flying :o  :clap: There are times it really plays with my mind depending on the time of day and sky condtions. gettting pretty scratched up by now.  That's the second covering job for that old plane, it's the first kit I ever built back in 1982, Old Carl Goldberg Gentle Lady, I've never had a major crash with it, more hangar rash than anything, even with all the little minor repairs it still flys as well as it did when I first built it.  It's one I always take with me when I hit the slope. I'm working on a project off and on right now of a Giant Gentle Lady, I ran out of wood and need to make a list of needed materials to finish and get on order.  It will be about 4 meters when finished, I'm sure it will fly well but more of a conversation piece than anything. We'll see could be kinda fun. 8) FF

selleri

• View Profile
only fools and horses
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2013, 17:49:24 PM »
Ah, the good old days, Freedom 20 from CG was my first model, still have it waiting to see the sun again(need to recover the fuselage though).
Sverrir - Icelandic Volcano Yeti

Freedom Flyer

• View Profile
only fools and horses
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2013, 14:25:00 PM »
I remember that plane, there were a couple of guys that around here that had them, they seemed to be pretty decent little planes.  Get that thing fixed and back in the air :), sometimes it's fun to just have a old everyday cruiser.  I've got an old Hobby Lobby Senior Telemaster I just put around the sky with once in a while, just flying at 1/4 throttle I can get almost 20 minutes of floating around. I've got some lights in it and it's fun to just cruise around at night. FF