Author Topic: Aero museum of Calgary  (Read 8414 times)

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Aero museum of Calgary
« on: August 01, 2013, 12:12:29 PM »
I’ve recently returned from a trip to “The Big Country” (Canada) It’s been over thirty years since I fell in love with the Canadian Rockies so my return was something I eagerly awaited.

It turned out that in the intervening years a museum of aviation has been erected just south of Calgary airport. Fortunately my “other ’alf” also has an interest in ‘matters aeronautical’ so we ventured forth.

Now some men might think it’s an advantage having a wife who’s interested in old aeroplanes, but it does have it’s disadvantages. Whenever I went to take a picture of these beasts, ‘she’ was in the shot.

A Sopwith Triplane…….a rickety old bird with not much ‘Go‘.. (The Triplane I mean, not Mandy :oops:  )

The Triplane looked positively civilized compared to the next machine. (It’s difficult to actually see it as it blends into the wooded roof structure.) I wasn’t able to establish what name it had or who made it, or even if it ever flew!
Just look at that box stabilizer at the front. It used a ’Pusher prop’ and was just held together with string and good luck, If it did ever fly I don’t think I’d have liked to be in it at the time!

But here’s something more like what I call an aeroplane. A Havard. Powered by a big Pratt & Whitney radial WASP engine with a variable pitch propeller this had a two man crew and was often used as a combat trainer. (I just love big radials.)

But in the main hanger was something else that caught me eye…….No, not the radial engines, but the glider hanging from the roof.

Here’s another shot of it.

Anyone have any idea what it is? I'm no expert but I'd never seen anything like it before. Come on guys, someone must know?

Outside of the main building was an annex of the museum. It’s called the tent hanger because the exhibits were positioned first then a metal girder structure was assembled around them and covered in material covering.
This held two big surprises for me,…….I’ll tell you about them later
Try not to run out of airspeed, altitude and ideas....... all at the same time.

Fred

• Slope Soaring is not a crime!
  • Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gliderireland.net
Aero museum of Calgary
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2013, 16:17:26 PM »
Very Nice Keith!  :clap:  :clap:
So that's why you were silent!  :D

Hope you had a great time!!

For the glider, not an easy one. An hybrid, between a BG12 fuselage and a Hall CherokeeII wing.

And even better, Wikipedia is saying this:
The Briegleb BG-12 is a single-seat sailplane of wooden construction developed in the United States in the 1950s. It was marketed for homebuilding in plans or kit form, with over 350 sets of plans selling by 1978. The BG-12 is a conventional sailplane design, with a high cantilever wing and a conventional empennage. Later models featured a highly-revised fuselage, a swept-forward tail fin, and an all flying tailplane with balance tabs.
Education is important, but flying RC planes and gliders is importanter!

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Aero museum of Calgary
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2013, 16:38:10 PM »
:shock: My god, I have to hand it to you Fred, you certainly know your gliders.
I really thought I’d ‘have’ you on this one.  :wink:   You’re absolutely bloody right. :D  (DAM! :evil: )

I swear I’ll catch you out one day!!!!!

Well done Mon Ami. :clap:

K.

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Aero museum of Calgary
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2013, 19:02:44 PM »
So we walked into the Tent Hanger and what I saw took my breath away. There, taking up almost a third of the quite large hanger was a beautiful, all-be-it old, warbird. Let me give you a clue as to which type she was.

Mandy stands 5’ 5” tall, so from the next picture you must realize this plane was a bomber.

Again using Mandy as a gauge, it had a BIG bomb bay.

Was it a Wellington? No.... Was it a Boston? (A-20) No.... Was it a Manchester? No....

So which WWII bomber was it? You’ll have to wait,…… while I tell you about the other delight that was on display………………………………............

The DC-3 (Dakota) needs no introduction. As I’m sure I’ve said before on this forum, I’d love to take a flight in one of these one day. Many are still in use today in some Latin American countries.

Lovely radial engines. (Did I ever tell you, I love big radials.)

Lots of rivets on the tail plane, with an engine nacelle up ahead. (The elevator is just under the camera lens. )

I just go weak at the knees when I’m close to these aeroplanes.

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Aero museum of Calgary
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2013, 20:10:33 PM »
And so we come to the finale.

My Dad was in the RAF during WWII. Although not aircrew, he often said he felt the British  bombers were equipped with little more than pea shooters (.303 machine guns) for defence. Rather like a rhinoceros being armed with a thorn, instead of a horn.

So this bomber has a Big tailplane and barn doors for vertical fin & rudder. ( Alas it doesn’t have radial engines though)

Like I said, this plane has an enormous wingspan.

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the Avro Lancaster!  Da Daaar!!
This Lanc’ has taken a little Cessna 118 ‘under its wing’ (Arr, bless the little Cessna )

Oh, I'm too old for all this excietment. Let me go and sit down.....

K.

selleri

• View Profile
Re: Aero museum of Calgary
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2013, 21:31:23 PM »
Sweet place! I remember when I stood in front of a Lancaster for the first time, amazing to say the least!

Quote from: "Happy Days"
But here’s something more like what I call an aeroplane. A Havard. Powered by a big Pratt & Whitney radial WASP engine with a variable pitch propeller this had a two man crew and was often used and a combat trainer. (I just love big radials.)

It's even nicer when you're sitting in it and flying it!    8)

Sverrir - Icelandic Volcano Yeti

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Aero museum of Calgary
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2013, 22:09:15 PM »
Let me get this right,!.....you've flown a Harvard? Selleri 8)

selleri

• View Profile
Aero museum of Calgary
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2013, 22:38:41 PM »
Well a Texan if you want to be anal about it!   :wink:

And a Stearman before that and if I would have had more time I would probably have gone for the Mustang too.   :D

Keith

• View Profile
Aero museum of Calgary
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2013, 23:11:17 PM »
Hi keith nice pics well done . Hope you had an enjoyable holiday.. Welcome back ...... Now your all holidayed out lets get back to the serious matter of flying  :D  :D  :D

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Aero museum of Calgary
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2013, 02:15:01 AM »
Hey Selleri,

That’s outrageous! Not only do you build superb looking models, you get to fly superb classic aeroplanes.
And then, to add insult to injury, you do all that at less than half my age!! That’s terrible!! :evil:

You are definitely off my ‘Christmas Card list.’

Hey Keith,

Yup, I’m back in the Emerald Isle, a little tired and with an empty bank account, yet they still let me back into the country! :D

K.

selleri

• View Profile
Aero museum of Calgary
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2013, 02:29:09 AM »
Quote from: "Happy Days"
You are definitely off my ‘Christmas Card list.’

Ohhhhh...   :(

Though the prices have gone up a little since I went you can have a go to if you happen to be in Florida.   :wink:

http://warbirdadventures.com/

JohnPearson

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Aero museum of Calgary
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2013, 21:29:49 PM »
Hi Guys

Keith glad you enjoyed your hols, the pics are great. I flew with warbirds some years back when I was in the USA and loved every second of the flight. The instructor give the stick on take off and took it back only for showing me how to fly to some aerobatics and only a few seconds before touch down. The flight was the highlight of that holiday. After that I got many flights with a friend and his Skybolt, a great plane but hard to fly correctly and a beast to land. Selleri, you are like me, give anything a go!!! :lol:  :lol:

Coming out of a loop!!

My good friend Frank and I taking the skybolt for a flight, before he sold the plane to a display pilot from England.

johnp

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Aero museum of Calgary
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2013, 23:12:20 PM »
Hey John, long time no speak,…… :D

I feel quite envious of all you guys flying old planes. It’s something I can’t do. :(  Once I’ve eaten my breakfast I don’t like to see it again. So I keep my feet on tera firma and let the models do the flying.

Smashing looking pictures John. Just one point occurs to me….May be if you kept your thoughts on flying, and less on ‘breasts’ you’d find landing the plane a bit easier?
Each to their own of course. I like big Radials, you (presumably) like big Breasts! :lol:

K.

JohnPearson

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Aero museum of Calgary
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2013, 23:45:43 PM »
:oops:  :oops:  :oops:  :oops:  :oops: I like a bit of breast, chicken of course :wink:  :wink:

andrew wallace

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bmfc.btinternet.co.uk
Aero museum of Calgary
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2013, 20:29:03 PM »
I like  breasts  8)
i\'m an ordinary man nothing special nothing grand