Author Topic: Flying on the 8th March 2015  (Read 3394 times)

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Flying on the 8th March 2015
« on: March 08, 2015, 22:49:40 PM »
I thought it would be nice to ‘engage with the elements’ and utilize the westerly’s that were blowing over Mt Lienster today. :D  It didn’t seem too windy at my house so I imagined  a couple of hours gently floating around over the slope.

Arrived at the mountain about 11.45 and noticed that the trees were bending a little more than I ‘d expected. :?:  Stuck my head out of the car and decided it was bloody windy, to say nothing of being a bit chilly as well :shock: . First task,….. don the insulated windproof gear.

Second task, assemble the Phase 6. And that’s when things started going wrong. Let me tell you that I had flown the P6 last week without any problems at all. But today I noticed during the pre flight checks that the ailerons and flaps where not in the correct neutral position. They were all deflected down 10 -15 mm. And the crow brake operation wasn’t correct either. Instead of the ailerons deflecting upwards as spoilerons, they were moving in the opposite direction, (same as the flaps.) I switched the Tx off and on again,….no difference. Turned the RX on / off,…no difference. :!:  OH Boll*x!
Conclusion?….the mixes for the P6 had become scrambled…I dismantled the model and put it back in the car.

Fortunately I’d also taken the Solange with me as back up………but it seemed too windy to launch it. :(

Just when I’d thought that nothing else could go wrong with my day, Big Keith turning up. (Oh, don’t start crying BK……..I’m only joking :lol: ). He had bought his V tail which, upon assembly was found to have a stripped aileron servo…..and was un-flyable. Fortunately he too had bought a back up model. The indomitable Zagi.
He then insisted that I at least try launching my Solange, to the point of threatening to commit unspeakable acts of a sexual nature upon my personage if I didn’t. :oops:
(At this point I did think of disassembling the Solange and putting it back in the car in the hopes that Keith might carry out his threat, but then decided it was too cold for those sort of shenanigans) :wink: .

We walked to the ridge and by holding the Solange by its very small belly pan and supporting the rear of the fuse on my head, (because the belly pan is too small to get enough grip to hold the entire model in those strong winds,) I managed to launch her. Although the sub fin whacked the back of my head at it took off. Big Keith’s Zagi followed her out into the lift.

We must have flown for some twenty minutes or more before landing for a break. We turned around and there was Niall Agnew. (Hope I’ve spelt that right) I didn’t recognize him at first, (he’s got younger looking since I last saw him). It wasn’t until he took his Weezle out of his car that I remembered him. He’d come well prepared because he had a another combat wing, (looked very much like a Zagi), an Easy Glider and a Blade mouldy all stashed away within his car. Talk about coming prepared! 8)

The flying and chatting continued followed by cups of tea provided by B Keith, (He’s not such a bad chap actually) followed by a little further flying.

As the afternoon wore on the wind strength dropped somewhat and as the sun continued to shine the temperature rose noticeably. Eventually after a couple of hours Niall packed his models away and bid us farewell promising to return when he could.

Between you and me I’m hoping he doesn’t make it back too soon. Do you know this guy was landing every one of his models at his feet! In fact he very nearly caught one model before it just missed his hand and, again, landed by his shoe. So while Big Keith and I were embarking on two day camel rides to retrieve our models, Niall was just landing his, then bending down, picking them up,  and launching them again! (Flash bastard. :twisted: )

It was a very enjoyable day today. Good flying with good company. What more could you want on a Sunday afternoon?

This is young Niall armed with his combat wing.

Before we could fly I had to clear my harem (of sheep) off the Landiing Zone

(Photos courtesy of Big Keith.)

Little Keith
Try not to run out of airspeed, altitude and ideas....... all at the same time.

Keith

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2015, 23:19:10 PM »
Well said little keith  .. It was a good days flying in the end ....  Admit it you were feeling frisky in the fresh air and decided to take it out on the sheep 😀😃😃🐑

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2015, 10:40:06 AM »
Ssssshhhh, don’t tell everyone or they’ll get jealous. :lol:

Just put the P6 on the bench to work out what went wrong with the Tx mixes yesterday…..and everything works just fine! :shock:  

Did I have the Tx on the right model setting yesterday? Well both Big Keith and I checked it and we both reckoned it was. That’s a head scratcher that is. :?:  :?:
Try not to run out of airspeed, altitude and ideas....... all at the same time.