Author Topic: First the good news......and then the bad news.  (Read 10414 times)

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
First the good news......and then the bad news.
« on: October 18, 2008, 23:45:04 PM »
Once upon a time, there were three bears,....................No, on second thoughts I guess you've all heard that one before.

How about this; Once upon a time, (about a year ago) I thought I'd try my hand at building a glider

Ordered a Sprit "Elite" from Great Planes. A box of 'bits' with a very large sheet of paper arrived a week later. So I started to build it.

Then I built a bit more.

And then a bit more

Finally had it all built. (Can't show a picture, dam thing wont up load) Looked a bit strange. Polyhederal wing with ailerons and flaps. Never seen one like it before

Took her out to Mt. Lienster today. And she FLEW!!! It's very difficult using both hands to fly the plane and take pictures. I just pointed the camera in the general direction and pushed the button!

I found the ailerons very ineffective, probably because of the polyhederal wing. (Could that be the reason Fred?)

Assending for a loop which she did very well. But because of the ineffectual ailerons she wont roll. (Or at least I couldn't get her to.)

I flew her three times with no probs, but on the fourth flight,..........ooops I let one wing drop on landing..............Not Good! Broke part of the joining section of one wing. (Where the two halves meet together above the fuse')

And split the fuse'

But on the basis that if I built her, then I can repair her I hope to have her back up in the air before too long!

There,.....that was a more interesting story than Goldilocks and the three Bears, wasn't it?

Keith.
Try not to run out of airspeed, altitude and ideas....... all at the same time.

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2008, 00:31:04 AM »
A-Ha, Finally got the pic' of my little bird to upload. This was taken after the third flight. i.e. before she crashed.
Although,...thinking about it, you could say that all landings are crashes. Just that most landings are controlled crashes. Who agrees with that?

Anyway, here's the picie.

IceWind

• View Profile
    • http://icewind.no.sapo.pt
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2008, 01:02:35 AM »
That looks great!
Sorry about the little incident, i hope you put it up again in no time.
I guess flying and taking photos is not the easiest things that can be made, even so you managed to catch it.
There is always the option to set the camera in the head, i saw that somewhere. Not very nice but it works.

All that goes up must come down, sometimes they just come down too fast!
..Nando

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2008, 11:54:12 AM »
Thanks Icewind, yes, gravity will always win in the end. I guess the fun is in trying to defy it.

I've glued to split fuse' and the broken wing. There's a strong westerly blowing at the moment, might have to "poodle" over to 'Big L' after lunch and have another go.

Taking the picies yesterday was,..........mmmmm... Interesting. I had the transmitter on a neck strap, the camera was on a wrist strap. I had to launch the plane with my left hand, (with the camera hanging off my wrist), fly the plane up to a reasonable height, let go of the rudder stick, and "flick" the camera up into my left hand hoping that when I caught it the lense was pointing away from me, not towards me! (Otherwise I'd have taken a close up of my face.)(Not a pretty sight!)

K

IceWind

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2008, 15:04:02 PM »
Good luck with that!
If you feel like doing more "juggling" take some action photos.  :D
..Nando

Fred

• Slope Soaring is not a crime!
  • Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gliderireland.net
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2008, 08:56:18 AM »
Hi Keith,

Nice to see some good building !  :clap:  The glider is looking really good ! :D
Shame about the "non controlled landing" tho  :P  but that will be really easy to repair !

I found the ailerons very ineffective, probably because of the polyhederal wing. (Could that be the reason Fred?)

:?:  hmmm, I have to see it flying to be sure... What's the glider is doing when you put the ailerons is important, but seeing the photo of the glider in flight (the first one), looks like you need more differential on the ailerons, that will help a bit! CofG can be double checked too (to remove a bit of the stability)
Also, with "real" gliders  :P  :P  like that one, you need to use the rudder to turn... Ask Joe, but if he comes near you with a strut or any hard piece of wood, run !  :lol:  :P

Going to be a cool relaxing machine to fly in thermal conditions
Education is important, but flying RC planes and gliders is importanter!

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2008, 09:45:38 AM »
I'm very interested in your comments Fred, thank you.  :D I suspect that you are right about the differential. The manual says the ailerons should have 19mm up and 9.5mm down. However So far I haven't been able to get those degree of movements. They are moving 15mm up and down.

This kit can be built with either wing configuration of straight or polyhederal.
Reading one of the review write ups, I noticed that the reviewer said that he would not build ailerons into the wing if he were to build a polyhederal wing. He said he would just fix the "ailerons" in a netural position and turn with rudder only. That's why I wondered if the shape of the wing was effecting the ailerons.
Vis CoG: Are you saying that to move the CoG back would improve the roll rate? (I'm a little uncomfortable with the thought of moving it back in case I can't control the plane after I've launched it!) But it's worth a thought.  

As for Joe, I think he's enjoying lots of sex, drugs and rock'n roll in  another country at the moment.  :clap:  (Well,.......maybe not the sex as he's a happly married man.............So I'm told.) :lol:

I'll have another look at those ailerons and see if I can get the correct degree of movement. I'll let you know the outcome

Fred

• Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2008, 10:05:48 AM »
:lol:  I think Joe is gay now... Well I think, he spend lots of time with men on tour these days !  :P  :?:  :?:

The polydiedhral add stability, but I think that is good to have the ailerons anyway, that help to keep centered in the thermals, and you can also play with the camber of the wing on the full wingspan.
You van now use all the switches and stuff on your radio !  :P

For the differential, if you can't have an electronic one (via the radio), try a mechanical one (move the rod to another hole and so on.. that will gives you a little bit of differential...).

For the CoG, the best is to try your actual one (45 degrees dive, release the sticks, and see what happen !)

But my best advice will be to use the rudder with the ailerons.. That's a good excercice, and almost a "must do" when flying gliders.. And no radio mixage !! That is cheating !  :P  :P

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2008, 10:59:55 AM »
:lol:  :lol:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  Yes, your comment about Joe is very good! (It made me laugh out loud.)

If I were to start building this model now I think I'd build it with a straight wing. Thermal flying is not realy my 'cup of tea'. I prefere the wind in my face standing on a high ridge. "Man verses the elements", sort of thing. But we all live and learn.

I'll try to change the aileron diff. this afternoon and hope to take her out for a trial tomorrow..

Not too sure what you mean about the wing camber, but we've had a similar conversation before, I'll wait till I see you next and maybe you can explain it to me.

I'll let you know what happens when I put her into a 45 degree dive and let go.

Thanks again Fred. (It's good to know there's an expert on hand to point me in the right direction.) :D

K.

IceWind

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2008, 13:22:12 PM »
:?
How you guys see all that in a photo I'm yet to discover!
..Nando

joe

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.islandsloperebels.com
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2008, 18:26:12 PM »
I might be after you with a big stick as well Frenchie!! Although I'll probably go for a big thick carbon rod instead :D  :D

Gentle sloper/thermal glider is not really what you are into these Keith. That said you might get to enjoy it the more you try it.

Usually ailerons are less effective on dihedral wings as far as I know. Looks like you need half the amount of down as up for your ailerons.

Never a bad thing having ailerons on a slope machine. Rudder only can be a little slow to react when landing etc...

chamber means being able to drupe the ailerons and flaps a couple of mm to make the most of light lift/thermal conditions.

no sex or drugs for me Keith! Only rock and roll and I wouldn't really call it that!! more folk and roll!

will be in touch for some flying in the next week or so Keith. need a bit of a fix before heading back out on the road with my lovers...no, sorry I mean band mates!! :wink:

Nice work on the glider Keith. Look forward to seeing her fly!

Fred

• Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2008, 19:11:57 PM »
Eh eh eh, 12mm for the big Ka3, but might not be enough to be honest !  :P  :lol:  :lol:

Might go flying for a day in Mt Leinster this week end !
Keith, we'll talk about the camber and stuff if you want  :D
Watching out for a good day now !

Arf Joe, you are another man since on tour with the Village People and Boy George !   8-[

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2008, 23:02:50 PM »
Now I understand what Joe meant when he kept telling me he needed a "Fag".  :wink: I thought he was referring to cigarettes. (Silly me!)

Joe, you're right about me not being into gental 'floaters'. I didn't know that at the time I bought the Elite.
Now I've 'found my feet', so to speak I have a better idea what type of plane to look for in future.
I was thinking of something like.............www.aeromod.eu   The "Toons" model. Check it out guys. The 4.5mtr version might suit me don't you think? :lol:  I might ask Mandy to get it for me for christmas. (She's the one with all the money!)

Fred, let me know what day you'll be at Big L. I can be there in 40 minutes :D Maybe some of the other guys will care to join us.

K.

Fred

• Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2008, 23:13:32 PM »
Actually Keith, I know a second hand Toon if interrested...  :wink:  :D
Saw the beast once... That is huge !!

I let you know, and everybody else too, when I'll plan to go... I'll take the best day anyway, I keep an eye on the forecast!