Author Topic: Help me select a real glider  (Read 31270 times)

Ray

• View Profile
Help me select a real glider
« on: March 14, 2010, 21:27:21 PM »
Hi Folks,
After "trying" to fly my MPX Blizzard like a slope soarer last weekend at the Mt Leinster meet-up I'm looking around for a good recommendation.

Looking for a full house plane with good performance in the 2.6m range.
I don't mind some construction work.
Needs to be reasonably tough and repairable for rough landings and an idiot pilot!
Needs to dismantle into three manageable parts for transport.

Here is my pick list (so far)
Great Planes Spirit 100":
http://www.modelmaniacsonline.co.uk/products.php?ProductID=3907&CatID=423&SubCatID=429&Title=Great+Planes+Spirit+100&ManCode=GPMA1049
Mpx Cularis:
http://www.modelmaniacsonline.co.uk/products.php?CatID=423&SubCatID=481&ProductID=5112&Title=Multiplex+Cularis&ManCode=214218
Fly Fly Condor Magic Evo4 3m ARTF (might be over stretching it here)
http://www.modelmaniacsonline.co.uk/products.php?ProductID=7182&CatID=423&SubCatID=428&Title=Fly+Fly+Condor+Magic+Evo4+3m+ARTF&ManCode=A-FFB010
CMPro Ventus:
http://www.pegasusmodels.co.uk/detail.asp?main=Aircraft&sub1=ARTF+Gliders&ID=993982

Appreciate comments/views.

Thanks
Ray.

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2010, 06:38:45 AM »
Oh Ray, you’ve opened a “Can of worms” here! :lol:

You do realise that if you ask six different pilots a question, you’re gonna get six different answers. :!:  

One thing I can tell you, (as an experienced idiot pilot) is that fibreglass models and rough landings don’t go together. Wood and foam are far easier (and quicker) to repair. A quick drop of CA glue and you’re back up in the air. Repairs to fibreglass take much longer and can’t normally be effected at the slope.

So, if you are of little experience with gliders, I’d consider the non glass models on your list.

But that’s only my opinion! :lol:

K
Try not to run out of airspeed, altitude and ideas....... all at the same time.

billscottni

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nimsa.co.uk ; www.billscott.org.uk
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2010, 09:11:29 AM »
MPX Easy Glider?

You could look at Canterbury Sailplanes EPP range. They have a model called the Eraser.

As Keith says we all have our opinions, but I would agree that fibreglass isn't a good choice to learn with. Look for something in either EPP or a wood fuz and a foam wing.

bearpjk

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2010, 10:57:38 AM »
I must agree with Bill and Keith ,my 2p worth is you cant rule out the Chris Foss Middle Phase 2 Advanced  glider, foam/balsa wing, balsa fuz.
Will be more than adequate from learner to fairly advanced flying in a wide speed range.Easily repaired and good fun.
cya
Peter K

Eiretime

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2010, 17:16:38 PM »
Hey Ray, Glad you came down to meet on Saturday to meet the gang.  Told you they were a quiet bunch! Ring me if you need anymore help in choosing the next missile  :D

ed

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2010, 18:00:03 PM »
There are airfoils and elevators and high wings and low,
There’s mouldies and balsa and plastic you know.
There’s sports planes and trainers and racers as well
In fact there’s most nothing a shop will not sell.

But take it from someone who’s wrinkled and grey,
Whatever your choice, whatever they say,
Most important of all, at the end of the day,
Is what gives you FUN,…not how much you pay!
Try not to run out of airspeed, altitude and ideas....... all at the same time.

Alan_Perse

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2010, 18:03:27 PM »
:D  :D  :D Nice one Keith. So you are a poet now  :P

I agree with what everyone has said. Foam and wood are the best choice. Much easier to repair. In fact I have gone a bought an Easy Glider because of that.

Ray

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2010, 19:52:07 PM »
Thanks guys, the Cularis is the obvious foamie and I have looked into it for quite some time now but without feeling the love.

On the other hand I really liked the performance on Ed's red bird and the DG1000 'lookalike' last weekend, both are molded and have a really nice finish. It's probably because Blizzard is a foamie and I guess I'm looking for something with a sleek finish.
So now I must be mad in the head, I'm looking at the 3m Fly Fly with full house wing :!:  must resist... must resist... it's a lot of glider for just £170!

Come to think of it I might strip the Blizzard down for silent flight and see how it goes. Last weekend it tended to stall on tight cornering, dropped a wing and flip into the ground, this happened twice and both times I was running unpowered, it does not seem to like slow speed. So it might have a better chance without the weight of motor/battery and speed controller.

Cheers,
Ray

billscottni

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nimsa.co.uk ; www.billscott.org.uk
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2010, 19:55:36 PM »
Ray,

If the DG100 look alike you're talking about was John Pearsons' model, it's not all moulded. The wing is a built up structure.  I believe the Fly Fly condor is the same, glass fuz and built up wings.

Worth checking before you spend any cash.

Ray

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2010, 21:17:49 PM »
Hi Bill,
Your right, the fuze was fiberglass and the wings were built up, but the skin on the wings seemed to be a hard plastic or fiberglass perhaps. And I think the Fly Fly is the same.... still not bad value at £170.

joe

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.islandsloperebels.com
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2010, 21:58:31 PM »
Hi Ray. Nice to meet you at the weekend. Sorry for the bit of shtick about the motor. But it's to be expected.

You just said what I was going to suggest. Take everything out of the blizzard and tape a spinner with some lead in it on the front.
Won't stall as easily with less weight as well.
You already have a glider Ray. Give it a go and see how you get on. The lift was light Saturday but with with a bit more of a blow it should go well.

mattkrrgn

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2010, 22:40:49 PM »
Hi Ray

The plane that I was flying is called a Scorpio but is now being sold as The Mini Ventus .Here is the link to AMD who make it .Its a good plane but cant be hung on its elevator or it has a sharp tip stall normally with the wind . It need to be flown .you gotta keep it moving or it becomes very twichy and abit of a pig! So if I was you Id get one and something like a middle phase ,a stargazer or a good old ninja to get use to sloping and when your brave take the Mini Ventus (scorpio) for a spin . Im only brave with it because its my dads ,HAHA.

Best of luck making your mind up .Too much to look at online .With any plane you get remember put the nose down get the wing to work ,then sloping gets easy.

Regards

Matt
Lekker Hey!!!!!!

mattkrrgn

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2010, 22:41:31 PM »
http://www.amdhobby.com/product_info.php?cPath=134&products_id=268

here is the link forgot to put it in haha

matt
Lekker Hey!!!!!!

JohnPearson

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
gliders
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2010, 22:45:29 PM »
Hi ray

The fly fly DR1000 is a good model and fun to fly. The fuslage is made from glasscloth with a hard shell which cracks easy, also the tail section is very weak and will spilt in a hard landing. the wings are made from a hard balsa material, covered in a plastic wrap which if damaged, is hard to glue even with super glue. The flight performance of this model is very good with a good speed range, however with no air brakes, it can be a little fast on landing, however, I still love this little model and would buy another fly fly kit.

Ray

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2010, 15:50:27 PM »
Thanks for the tips (and poetry) folks,
The 3m Fly Fly (Condor Evo4) I was looking at has got Flaps so it might be easier to land, but it sounds like the Fly Fly's could do with some reinforcement patches before flying, I'll have to give it some more thought.

In the meantime I will also modify the Blizzard and see how it flys on the slopes without power, the manual says it will go from 1050g to 800g by removing the power train.

Cheers Ray