Author Topic: Another crashed Phase 6  (Read 11916 times)

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Another crashed Phase 6
« on: May 07, 2010, 14:38:32 PM »
Well here’s a little tale for you all to ponder before you next take your precious models out on a windy day.

There was I, on the north slope of Big L. today, wind speed 50 -60 Km/h at the ridge. Everything was lovely, :)  with clear skies, :D  no spectators, :D  :D  and a blue’ish sky. :D  :D  :D

The Phase 6 was ballasted up to 150% of normal flying weight. I was going through my normal little repartee of aerobatics and put the model into a steep dive, pulled out sharply and rolled the plane hard right.

The model started the roll and then went almost completely out of control. Fighting the sticks I just managed to get her the right way up, back to the ridge, and over the landing area. Had great difficulty trying to keep the wings level for a landing.  (Not helped by the gusty winds)  As soon as I started to apply the crow brake she ballooned up, stalled, and corkscrewed nose first into Mt. Lienster.

(The funeral mass will be held at Bree church tomorrow at 4.30pm. All are welcome) :cry:

But what caused the demise of my (second) Phase 6? :?:

Well, it turned out to be something that I would never have imagined.

The following picture shows the underside of the wing and the left aileron servo. The servo arm has snapped off of the servo arm flange. i.e. the part of the arm that located onto the servo splined shaft is still in place, but the actual ‘arm’ that connects to the control rod (and should be pointing up towards the camera) has snapped off! and was left dangling from the aileron horn.
I’m amazed, I would never have thought there would have been enough force during flight to snap it off. :shock:  I’ve had servos pulled out from their sockets before on windy days  but this problem would never have entered my head!

Well,……………you learn something new every day.

Try not to run out of airspeed, altitude and ideas....... all at the same time.

Fred

• Slope Soaring is not a crime!
  • Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gliderireland.net
Another crashed Phase 6
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2010, 15:28:32 PM »
Ouch !  :(
Education is important, but flying RC planes and gliders is importanter!

Peter

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Another crashed Phase 6
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2010, 20:56:18 PM »
Too bad Keith - sorry to hear your Phase Six is no more.

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Another crashed Phase 6
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2010, 22:41:57 PM »
Thanks for your commiserations guys. :(  

As with my first Phase 6 the wings are okay, it was the fuse that’s sustained 95% of the damage. It’s split longitudinally in two places and cracked open on one side and across the bottom around the wing saddle area. The number two former has snapped and the fin and rudder have come off. The rudder and elevator servo mounts are split as well.

I really am of two minds whether to try and repair it, or simply buy another kit. In terms of the amount of  work time the two options would probably take about the same, although trying to repair the existing one STRAIGHT might prove problematic. :!:  

I might have a go at sticking all the little bit and pieces back together tomorrow and if it doesn’t seem plausible, as I’m in the South of England next week, I might pick up a new one from SMC. :D

K.

Peter

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Another crashed Phase 6
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2010, 20:26:52 PM »
If the wings and tail surfaces are OK, you could always buy some ply and balsa and fashion your own super strong version of the fuselage - it's quite a simple box affair.  Getting those servo leads into the wings must be fiddly enough and you could avoid having to do this again.  Just an idea.  Incidently found this thumbnail of the Phase 5 on the web - very nice looking glider. Love the tail. I'm tempted to try and track a plan down.

Peter

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Another crashed Phase 6
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2010, 20:59:42 PM »
Yes Peter, it was my intention to buy a new kit but only to build the fuse and use the same wings.

I’ve spent a good part of today piecing together the broken fuse. It’s been very difficult to get the broken side and bottom of the fuse to fit back together. The parts don’t want to fully mesh together. If they don’t go back together fully the fuse will have a sideways “bend” or curve. I’m probably wasting my time with it. :roll:

Re: Phase 5
 I seem to remember being told, or reading somewhere that the plans are no longer available, even from Chris Foss. You might find some on the net if you search hard enough.

I’m told these little picies are a Phase 5. Seems it’s almost a Phase 6 but with a built up wing and with less taper on the wing. At least they have flaps and ailerons. Very civilized :wink:

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Another crashed Phase 6
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2010, 20:43:26 PM »

I don't believe it!!! :shock:  :shock:  Same servo arm, (left aileron on Phase 6) Same flying conditions, same breakage!
The plane flew fine on Sunday in light conditions.

I have no rational explanation for these breakages at all. Anyone got any ideas why or how they keep occurring??? :?:  

Fortunately this time, (it happened yesterday) the plane was quite high when the arm broke and I recognized the symptoms.  I managed to switch in the flap>aileron mix and regained a little bit of control. Just enough to land the plane whilst causing only minor damage. :(

But why, in heavens name, these servo arms keep breaking is a complete mystery to me. :!:

K.