Author Topic: Connectors  (Read 4212 times)

Ron

Connectors
« on: November 02, 2010, 18:22:21 PM »
Why are there so many different types of battery connector?

OK, that's a silly question coming from someone who spent his whole working life in the electronics industry :roll:
You can't expect 'standards' in anything, and as soon as a standard is agreed upon by most companies, someone will invent another one.

As far as I can see there is a fairly standard servo connector.
Fine.
But batteries come with all sorts.
I've got a LiPo with a flat connector, the plus at 90 degrees to the minus.

I've got a LiPo connector that's two round sockets in a housing that's clearly designed to fit into a 'polarised' plug, being square one end a 45 degree corners at the other.

And a connector cable in the junk box has two separate cables one with a round pin and one with a round socket.

And I'm sure there are others.

So should I 'standardise' on one type of connector?
And if so, what type?

What do people use?

Ron

billscottni

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nimsa.co.uk ; www.billscott.org.uk
Connectors
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2010, 18:33:44 PM »
I use Deans and the newer XT80 for bigger packs

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Connectors
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2010, 19:22:21 PM »
Yea, I use Deans connectors for all my Li-po's

By standardizing the connectors I know that any of my chargers will charge any of my Li-po’s

K.
Try not to run out of airspeed, altitude and ideas....... all at the same time.

Ron

Connectors
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2010, 19:28:31 PM »
Yes I like the look of the Deans, though didn't know that's what they are called.
Flat connectors usually have lower contact resistance and reliability than round ones.
And because they don't need any shaped housings to make sure you don't put them in backwards, they are smaller.

Ron

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Connectors
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2010, 22:49:53 PM »
The only problem I’ve found with some Deans connectors is that they can be very hard to separate, particularly on cold days when you can’t feel the tips of your fingers!

Most Deans plugs have knurled indentations on the sides to give a little extra grip.

Sometimes, when trying to open them, I’m tempted to insert a screwdriver into them, just to get them going, so to speak. Trouble is the risk of shorting the contacts :arrow: BANG! :shock: :shock:  

K.
Try not to run out of airspeed, altitude and ideas....... all at the same time.

Aidan

• View Profile
Connectors
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2010, 00:28:31 AM »
I'd go nuts if I didn't standardise! Imagine all the charger leads and Whattmeter adaptors. I've enough as it is!

I use:
Micro deans for <10A (mostly indoor planes)
3.5mm bullet connectors for 10A up to about 45A
I've also some stuff on 4mm bullet connectors which should be fine up to 60A or 70A but I might phase them out and standardise to something more substantial like perhaps 6mm bullets for larger stuff now that bigger electric planes are getting affordable.