Author Topic: another boring day in paradise...  (Read 3893 times)

cvanscho

another boring day in paradise...
« on: October 03, 2007, 22:33:19 PM »
Hi guys

Brian and I had a great slope session today at Glenbeigh.  I struggle to get photos small enough to fit here, so I'm just posting this link instead: http://www.rcmf.co.uk/4um/index.php?topic=43992.0.

I've got exact route directions and distances to this great spot now, I'll do a post in the "slope sites in Ireland" section.

Chris

Fred

• Slope Soaring is not a crime!
  • Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gliderireland.net
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2007, 07:52:42 AM »
Here we go :

What about the landing zone Chris ? Looks a bit rocky up here  :?:
For big gliders ?
Education is important, but flying RC planes and gliders is importanter!

cvanscho

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2007, 11:00:02 AM »
Fred, thanks for including that photo!  The one that is at the head of the blog on the Island Rebels site is also from there - that photo is probably the classic illustration of how stunning the views are there!

The landing zones are not too bad, as there are areas of fairly solid ferns and bracken vegetation that are free of rocks.  Most of the front (north) side of the slope is like that (and with soft peaty soil), so if your'e comfortable with frontside landings, no problem.  The clear areas on the very top are, however, not that big.  They are fine for 2m models; as for big scalies, well, some skill will be required!  the other (south) side of the hill is VERY rocky!

The photo was taken when the wind was as far to the west as would normally work there, so we had to move over to the west to stand at an area that is a bit more rocky.  For landing we walked a few metres back nearer the top.  

The best landing conditions are with a north- easterly, but the due north is not bad at all.