Author Topic: Roll up! Roll up! for a Great Weekend (29 -30th Sep.)  (Read 51105 times)

Keith

• View Profile
Great day
« Reply #60 on: September 29, 2012, 20:03:08 PM »
Great day today lads
Yis were the most friendly and helpful bunch of lads it was great meeting you all

To Jp thank you very much for the plane :-)

To Fred thank you for the radio gear  :-)

To little Keith ... Sorry about today :-(

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Roll up! Roll up! for a Great Weekend (29 -30th Sep.)
« Reply #61 on: September 30, 2012, 07:40:52 AM »
What a difference a day makes!

I haven’t bothered posting a picture of the mountain, it can’t be seen this morning. It’s completely covered in cloud. :cry:  The sky is heavily overcast and there is very light rain.

Winds are SW at 20 gusting 45 K/h :D

Atmospheric pressure ……1013mB falling :(

Enough said?! :evil:

If there is going to be any flying today it wont be for at least a couple of hours so don’t choke on your corn flakes. Wake up slowly and take your time.
I’ll let you know conditions in an hours time.

K.
Try not to run out of airspeed, altitude and ideas....... all at the same time.

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 30, 2012, 08:57:34 AM »
At this time the only change in the weather is the barometric pressure,….it’s falling like a stone! :(

Forecasters are suggesting there might be a slight let up after 10.00 till around 13.00.

I’ll toddle up to the mount on the off chance of catching a flight on the south slope. One thing’s for sure, in these wind speeds there’ll be plenty of lift….provided I can see the plane!!

Keith

Keith

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 30, 2012, 09:44:01 AM »
What time are you heading up at Keith ??

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 30, 2012, 09:57:12 AM »
Hi keith, I texted Fred a while ago asking him what time he’d be on the mountain, haven’t heard back yet. (he, and the others who stayed over at the B+B are all probably hungover, Ha!)

I’ll be leaving home about 10.15, you going up?

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 30, 2012, 15:14:17 PM »
On Saturday I counted 20 happy faces. :D  (I don’t think there were any unhappy ones) that’s got to be a near record for a Mt Lienster glide -in, at least since I started going there. Great to see so many faces. Some from the past, and some new ones as well.

Allen and Connor, along with Noel joined us to relish a more civilized form or aeromodeling than the hectic F3A type that they normally enjoy.
Ralph, (Zagi) Les, and the Kevins’ travelled from the west. NI was represented by PJ, Andrew(the wine) Richard and not forgetting  Rosin, (not sure I’ve spelt that right) Also joining the happy throng were Alan, John and newcomers Big Keith and Steven.  Rick also put in an appearance for a while and of course the Grand “Dee” of gliding in Ireland, Fred, who was there from dawn till dusk. Counting the above names I’ve obviously missed a few out, sorry lads, no offence intended but at my age they say three thing happen to you. Firstly the memory goes,……I can’t remember the other two things. :oops:

I believe at one point there were 11 models in the air at the same time.
I haven’t downloaded any pictures from my camera yet but I know Kevin,…….er, now how can I describe which Kevin I’m referring to????? :?:  Dare I say ‘young’ Kevin? 8)  or maybe  ‘younger’ Kevin perhaps? :P  Anyway, a Kevin was running around like a newspaper photographer taking snaps of everything that moved. Young Rosin,  was also armed with what looked like small computer with an enormous lenses attached to the front of it. So I’m sure there’ll be plenty of picies being uploaded to the forum before too long.

Sunday was a different kettle of fish. Rain, low cloud and more rain. :cry:  Ralph, Les, Fred, Richard, JP Andrew, Big Keith and myself met up at Nine Stones around 11.00. After a brief discussion we moved down to the west slope. Still non flyable weather! But Fred thought he’d give it a try, (Crazy Frenchman! :roll: ) It must be said he did fly, for a little while. Les & Ralph left after witnessing the insanity and a little while later the cloud lifted, and the rain stopped! And some more flying was had. How about that! :clap:  Not much I admit but at least it wasn’t a completely wasted journey. We all dispersed by14.00 to make our way home.

Overall I’d say that was one of the very best glide - in’s I’ve ever attended. Really big thank you to all who attended.

Keith. (Little)

gerryb

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 30, 2012, 18:31:16 PM »
hi keith,
many thanks for the words, sorry i couldn't be there. glad everyone had a great time.  please get some photos up soon, nice to put faces to names and see what models were attending ( aircraft, that is).

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 30, 2012, 19:50:38 PM »
Hardly visable in the rain, poor light, and low cloud,.......at least he tried :clap:
(Crazy Frenchman) :)

https://vimeo.com/50481706

mario

• phpBB moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 30, 2012, 19:59:08 PM »
good video :lol:
si t as pas d amis, prends un curly

andrew wallace

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bmfc.btinternet.co.uk
« Reply #69 on: September 30, 2012, 20:26:51 PM »
i'm just home and have put everything away :clap:
Saturday was a great day and there was a good amount of flying done  :D
big thanks to everyone  :clap:
i\'m an ordinary man nothing special nothing grand

JohnPearson

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 30, 2012, 20:56:59 PM »
Hi all

Thanks for a great weekend lads, and may I say, I must now hold the record for the greatest number of times in one day to walk up and down that dam slope!! :oops:  :oops:
Any how here is a few photos from the weekend:

JohnPearson

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 30, 2012, 21:00:33 PM »
O.K. here are more photos! :lol:

The next section is for over 18's only, This is what happens when you mix vodka, ozzie Rum, Bushmills whiskey and some of Fred's french rocket fuel, cider and apple brandy :oops:  :oops:  :oops:  :oops:

I haven't laughed so much in years, what a great night, that is what we can remember :?:  :?:  :?:  :?:

billscottni

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nimsa.co.uk ; www.billscott.org.uk
« Reply #72 on: September 30, 2012, 21:17:13 PM »
Looks like a great day. Good selection of models & LOTS of big grins!

Hope to see you all next year :wink:

Fred

• Slope Soaring is not a crime!
  • Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gliderireland.net
« Reply #73 on: September 30, 2012, 22:22:11 PM »
Hi all,

First of all, thank you all for coming  :clap:  :clap:  What a great week end that was! The last meeting of the season was definitively one to remember!
First, by the number of pilots, with 20 of them on the Saturday, but also, and the most important, for the great craic we had over the week end!

Saturday saw some great flying conditions on the West slope.
Lots of people, lots of gliders, lots of flying  :clap:  :clap:

Lots of new faces also, welcome guys  :clap:

Enough of my bad English, time for the (poor quality) photos!

Conor and Alan, off for some flying. That was also Destiny time earlier on the day  :D

BBQ at the slope, are the best BBQs! That's it, end of discussion!  :D
That's where we also started on the pommeau (more on that later!  :lol: )

hhhmmmmmm, sausages!

One of my highlight of the day, was the first ever try of a remote controlled flying machine by Stephen  :clap:
Thanks to Andrew for the teaching leessons, and for sharing his radio  :clap:
Oh, and have to mention (no shame anymore!  :oops: ) I tough he said launch, or go... When he was really saying something like wait or hold on... Anyway, launched the glider... looking at it slowly, but surely, heading to a crash.... Looked back, to a laughing Andrew... We was putting off his radio tray when I launched, and told me to wait... :oops:
Locally, the glider was the good old easyglider, not a scratch, and was launched 2 minutes after that...
That was Stephen "first" contact with the seriousness of this hobby...  :lol:  :lol:

Fair play to Alan too! Never saw his Ka8 flying so much  :clap:

Roisin  :D  A bit like a ray of sunshine in this weird world full of grown up men, with toys, on top of a mountain, in the cold... And apparently enjoying it.

Oh, and John had a bad day  :(  Broke the Fox because of receiver's failure. Also had a few walks, a bit like his real hobby was hill walking (sorry John!  O:)  ) But no worries, we found a buddy lead for the next meeting!  :lol:
Fair play to John, brought only new models, all for the first flight (5 or 6 of them! That guy is a machine!  :clap: )

We call it a day at around 6pm, and decided to head down to the B&B... Or are we?
Well, no, Les' car decided to sink in the wet grass and sit itself on top of a bog(?) on the side of the road...

The car would not moved an inch!!
Finally, the "team" decided to listen to the very first idea that came out of a genius mind from one member of the team  :mrgreen: and jack the car

With Ralph's help and support of course  :lol:

Finally!

Education is important, but flying RC planes and gliders is importanter!

Keith

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 30, 2012, 23:14:52 PM »
Great photos from a great weekend lads :-)

C'mon little Keith where's the videos from the weekend ??? Get your finger out mate :-)