Author Topic: Applying oracover / solafilm  (Read 6517 times)

stephen.shannon

• View Profile
Applying oracover / solafilm
« on: May 20, 2013, 23:06:25 PM »
Hi All,

Just looking for some guidance please. I'm about to embark on my first use of solafilm. My plan is to cover two wings with white covering. I was about to start typing a load of questions but realised I don't know what questions to ask. Has any one a step by step guide to this?

I'm concerned about seams, how much slack to leave, does one use two pieces to cover the top and bottom of the wing or one single piece, how do you hinge the aileron on the wing.

All guidance is appreciated, thanks

Stephen [/img]
Our deepest fear is not that we are weak but that we are powerful beyond measure..... Marianne Williamson

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2013, 10:29:49 AM »
Covering a model airframe is a skill unto itself Stephen, and I’m no expert. :roll:  (Trust me on this!) Hopefully some of the forums real experts will enhance this advice.

Convention states that a wing is covered in two phases. Underside first, then the top covering. As far as seams are concerned, an overlap of between 1/8” to possibly ¼” is the norm. (So the top layer will overlap the bottom layer. Savvy?

As for ‘sticking’ the Solafilm:
Don’t forget to remove the backing from the Solafilm before trying to stick it. :wink:

To try and explain the task in words is rather difficult, Stephen. Here’s one of a number of videos on You Tube that will take you through the process. I haven’t watched it all myself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_D2zqXzcfw

As for hinging the aileron. There are dozens of different ways. Personally I use the quickest, which I’ve found to be 'Diamond' sellotape! (Less time in the workshop = more time on the slope! )

Hope this helps. (You might like to try covering a small piece of scrap wood before covering the actual wing. Like I said, there is a skill to covering a model without leaving any creases or unsightly joins.)

little Keith
(Thanks for the cap by the way! :D )
Try not to run out of airspeed, altitude and ideas....... all at the same time.

Fred

• Slope Soaring is not a crime!
  • Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gliderireland.net
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2013, 15:10:27 PM »
Not much to add  :D
Watch the video, that should cover pretty much all the questions (and check the ones on the side too), but basically, bottom first. I start with the corners, then middles, then all around. Best after that, is to use a heat gun once around the wing is done.
With an iron, if bubbles  are forming, just pierce them with a needle, and re-apply heat.
Then the top, same way.
Once the wing is "cold", I always re-heat it with the iron, to make sure the covering with not bubble etc etc later, like you leave the model at the sun (Ok, Ok, very unlikely in Ireland, but you'll never know!  :P  )

Other solution, and much easier on a fully sheeted wing, is to use Vinyl  :D

As for hinges, like Keith, except that I use Blenderm, or the covering itself for the hinges
Education is important, but flying RC planes and gliders is importanter!

stephen.shannon

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2013, 22:28:12 PM »
Thanks lads, keith that video is bang on its explained everything. Smashin. The guru delivers again ;-)
 :lol:
Our deepest fear is not that we are weak but that we are powerful beyond measure..... Marianne Williamson

stephen.shannon

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2013, 23:12:21 PM »
Hi All,

I'm just looking for a pointer on the trimming of the top layer of solafilm when it's applied. I've got one wing started and I'm delighted with the results so far but in applying the top cover I want to make sure the overlap edge is as straight as possible. Do I fix the top layer in place and trim when it's in place or do I trim on the table first and hope to get the fit exact?

Any steer would be great thanks.

Stephen

billscottni

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nimsa.co.uk ; www.billscott.org.uk
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2013, 12:59:09 PM »
Only place I know that has diamond tape at the moment is T9 Hobbysport in England. It is my understanding it is no longer in the Sellotape range!!

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2013, 15:31:58 PM »
Just got back from the Big L. Conditions were not as strong as I’d thought they would be. But I went out with two working models, flew them both in light conditions, and came home with two working models! :D

Didn’t see you anywhere up there Stephen! :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRhEoRceoB4

Have a look at this vid Stephen. At around 1:20 it shows how to trim the covering at (in this case) the trailing edge. The principle for trimming the covering is the same for all edges.
Watch and learn  :wink:
Try not to run out of airspeed, altitude and ideas....... all at the same time.