Author Topic: Painting Foamies - The Answer - YESSSS  (Read 5085 times)

stephen.shannon

• View Profile
Painting Foamies - The Answer - YESSSS
« on: August 20, 2013, 09:25:48 AM »
Hi All,

I've been on the forum a few times in the last year looking for advise on painting foamies. I've learned less is definitely more when it comes to painting in the first place but for those interested, the best stuff I've been able to come up with is a paint called LIQUITEX. Its a spary paint but is a waterbased palstic paint. It takes a little getting used to for spraying but is clean and tidy and gets the job done well. They have a huge range of colours to boot.

A 400ml can costs 10 Euro in Inspiring Ideas in Blanchardstown, they are a great shop and know a load about painting materials like EPP. The cans may seem expensive but when compared to the RC Modelling Paints from shop, you'll pay 10 euros for 150ml.

Anyway I hope this may help.

Our deepest fear is not that we are weak but that we are powerful beyond measure..... Marianne Williamson

IceWind

• View Profile
    • http://icewind.no.sapo.pt
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2014, 11:26:46 AM »
...and +2yrs after you get some feedback! :D

Thanks! Going to get some.
..Nando

stephen.shannon

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2014, 22:50:25 PM »
Ah I was was just waiting for the right person.  :D

Watch the edges if you're masking lines paint tends to pull when removing the tape

Stephen
Our deepest fear is not that we are weak but that we are powerful beyond measure..... Marianne Williamson

IceWind

• View Profile
    • http://icewind.no.sapo.pt
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2014, 12:14:58 PM »
Thanks for the adivce.

Quick question, does it get too brittle and flake out?

This would be to paint a wing so there will be lots of warping, specially on landings.

I was going either for paint or thin packing tape, but the disadvantage is that it's hard to find decent colors for tape and I imagine it adds up more weight.
..Nando

stephen.shannon

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2014, 12:37:24 PM »
Hi Ice Wind,

The radiocontrolledshop.ie has packing tape and there's all sorts of colors, I'd go with a packing tape rather than a vinyl tapes which tend to be heavier. If you go to radionics rsonline.ie they have vinyl tapes in various colors. I use tapes on my wings rather than paint as I use a fibre tape for strength on the wing and painting this wouldn't be an option but taping covering is very successful.

The paint does tend to chip more due to transport more than crashing but I've bought a varnish from the same range and this gives it good protection.

I've hammered my easy glider to point of not being repairable and paint held up well.

Hope this helps sorry about the delayed reply

Stephen