Author Topic: Anyone know of a plane I can actually buy?!  (Read 14938 times)

angry_muppet

• View Profile
Anyone know of a plane I can actually buy?!
« on: June 20, 2014, 13:40:23 PM »
Hi all, first post on here...

I've joined up with the MCFC outside Enniscorthy to learn how to fly my Art Tech C182 after crashing the first one!

I've also been up Mt Leinster with Big Keith having fun on his Zagi, so I've been trying to procure one of those.  Unfortunately, the manufacturer has had a stroke, so there's no solid lead time on those.

In place of that, I had ordered the last Multiplex Xeno from out of England.  unfortunately it now seems it was miscoded in the warehouse and there isn't a Xeno for me.

Both of these were to be powered to enable me to crash at a higher velocity when not slope soaring despite Keith's outlook regarding props :D

So, I need a wing before July (I'm off for the whole month) so I can learn how to perform excellent landings after soaring the slopes - I can land ok, I just can't reuse the plane.

Can anyone recommend a good crashable wing that will take a pusher that doesn't break the bank.  Second hand is fine!

Thanks,

David

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2014, 16:54:24 PM »
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__37186__Combat_Slope_Soaring_Wing_EPP_Foam_CF_tube_Kit_UK_Warehouse_.html?strSearch=combat%20wing

This is in stock at their UK store along with all the other bits you'd need for powered flight.........

SORTED!

Little Keith
(By the way, you were flying with me, not Big Keith. :roll: )
(Oh, and you were flying my Skua not a Zagi  :roll:  :roll: )
Try not to run out of airspeed, altitude and ideas....... all at the same time.

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2014, 17:47:28 PM »
To secure the prop to the motor shaft you need a prop adaptor. I’m not sure of the diameter hole in the props that you’re getting but I see they have some diameter changers with them, so I recon this shaft adaptor should do the trick.....

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=39886

And yes, all the gear you listed will work off a 3S li-po. I should think a 1600 -1800 mAh, rated at 25C would do fine :wink:

Big Keith & I were up on the Big L today. Shame you didn’t join us. There was more lift than we needed for the first couple of hours, then it eased off.

Let us know how you get on with your wing.

Little Keith

angry_muppet

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2014, 12:00:35 PM »
All ordered!  Should be here (and built) in time for having a nice month off work...

Just to find some glue as HobbyKing didn't have any foam safe stuff in the UK warehouse.

angry_muppet

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2014, 08:24:47 AM »
Well, guess what assumption does for you...

Battery ordered doesn't have the same connector as my other two and the ESC has no connectors.

My other batteries have Deans connectors, does anyone have one they can send me? Either that, or somewhere in Ireland that sells them?

Thanks

Keith

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2014, 11:10:18 AM »
Hi angry Muppet
You can solder on your own connections to the esc and battery

stephen.shannon

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2014, 16:07:59 PM »
Hi Angry,

Drop me a pm with you're address I'll send you a couple of deans connectors, motor connections are best done with bullet connections but I've none, contact Mark in Modelheliservices.com and he'll sort you out, they are a top notch shop and very helpful.

Stephen
Our deepest fear is not that we are weak but that we are powerful beyond measure..... Marianne Williamson

angry_muppet

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2014, 22:19:01 PM »
Welll, everything is "dry assembled" and everything just isn't going to fit!

The ESC and receiver take up about 1/3 of the battery bay, and I just don't see how the rest can be crammed in.  The servo wires are at full stretch and I'm sure the motor wires could be curtailed, but to me, the receiver is the awkward one.  I'll post photos hopefully in the morning.

angry_muppet

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2014, 11:31:26 AM »
Here's the photos as promised; I just don't see how they can fit.  I think I can trim a little off the motor cables, but that's probably all.  The cable between the ESC and receiver is also longer than required, but I think reducing that is probably beyond my patience and/or basic skills at the moment.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wldqf2d7tov9e81/20140703_110334.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/274o9agukows5gh/20140703_110402.jpg

billscottni

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nimsa.co.uk ; www.billscott.org.uk
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2014, 16:31:16 PM »
A couple of short extension leads would sort out the servo problem and the speed controller to motor cables can definitely be shortened, only needs a modicum of soldering ability. It will all fit, but balance may be hard to get right - (NOT uncommon with flying wings!)

angry_muppet

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2014, 22:12:30 PM »
Sorted the servo problem easy enough. I cut a new line at an angle from the cable side of the servo so I didn't need to do the two sides of a triangle. That gave me the half inch I needed.

The main section of the wing and the motor mount are now glued. Just waiting on it drying. It has the wingtips and the elevons to glue on, and then we're flying, literally.

Just not looking forward to the elevons... Knowing my luck, I'll glue them solid! :)

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2014, 23:03:42 PM »
Quote from: "angry_muppet"

Just not looking forward to the elevons... Knowing my luck, I'll glue them solid! :)

How are you intending to hinge your elevons David?

I use Sellotape for all my ailerons and evelons ect. Easy to stick, and if it goes wrong I can just un-stick and re-do them.

Have you fired up the motor yet? And made sure the air is being blown backwards! :wink:

Little Keith

angry_muppet

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2014, 23:18:34 PM »
It came with little fabric like "hoops" which I've glued into the elevon. It's the glueing into the actual wing may be difficult.  Sellotape doesn't seem to want to stick, but could use Duck tape instead?

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2014, 23:38:31 PM »
“A picture paints a thousand words“,……….(or does it launch a thousand ships? :?:  I cant remember……. Oh dear, I think I’m having a ’craft’ moment in my old age :roll: ) (CRAFT = Can’t Remember A Fecking Thing! )

Anyway, getting back to the matter in hand, show us what you’re talking about David :wink:

L. Keith